• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Oil temperature and pressure reading?

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I can’t find this anywhere in the display. Surely Lotus wouldn’t miss this off a driver’s car, would they?

Although the car models are different, I believe the sensor can be installed in the same location since it is the same 2GR-FE.
The 2GR-FE engine has an oil pressure switch above the oil element.
The oil pressure switch is used to turn on the oil warning light on the meter panel when the oil pressure drops below a certain level.

Pity the Emira doesn't have a spin on oil canister or you can fit a sandwich plate with a temp threaded hole.

I can’t find this anywhere in the display. Surely Lotus wouldn’t miss this off a driver’s car, would they?
1707313038378.png
1707313056733.png

Pity the Emira doesn't have a spin on oil canister or you can fit a sandwich plate with a temp threaded hole.
The 2GR-FE should have a sensor in this red circle, but I have never actually seen it, so I do not know if it is there or not.
However, even if Emira does not have a sensor, there should be a hole to install it.
1707313392993.png

The 2GR-FE should have a sensor in this red circle, but I have never actually seen it, so I do not know if it is there or not.
However, even if Emira does not have a sensor, there should be a hole to install it.
View attachment 36903

Just checked my photos from when I replaced my Evora GT pan and sure enough, there's a sensor right there.

1000016187.jpg

Interesting. If it's what we think it is, it's at least not mapped to the "regular" OBDII address, I checked that
It may be a mistake to describe it as a sensor.
I think it is a simple switch that turns on when oil pressure is applied and turns off when it is not.
Therefore, I don't think it can accurately measure the current oil pressure.

I think it is a simple switch that turns on when oil pressure is applied and turns off when it is not.
If that is the case even by swapping it for a sensor it is unlikely to trigger the temp alert built into the system. Is it possible that no switch triggers a fault? With modern electronics you would expect it to be wired to have to have the switch being on to provide no alert and off to alert so it triggers when the switch is broken. Saying that maybe that type of switch costs £1 more so they didn’t bother. 😂

Is it possible that no switch triggers a fault?
Having no clue on how this works I'd guess it’s default "hot" so pressure present -> closes switch (voltage high), ECUs sees "voltage high" -> pressure and switch okay.
If pressure is outside of safe parameters, or switch is faulty -> voltage low -> ECU throws error.

Correct, and most people who want to integrate an oil pressure sensor can just use a 1/8" BSPT tee or adapter.

Something like this https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/1-8-bspt-oil-sensor-thread-adapter-for-gt86/

GS_GT86_Gallery2__37384.1496162060.jpg

This should screw into the 1/8" BSPT port on the 2GR-FE, and have the stock pressure switch plug into the female 1/8" BSPT at the end of the adapter. Then you have two 1/8" -27 NPT ports on the sides of the adapter for an oil pressure and oil temperature sensor that you can remote mount (as not to add extra pressure to the fitting).

Correct, and most people who want to integrate an oil pressure sensor can just use a 1/8" BSPT tee or adapter.

Something like this https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/1-8-bspt-oil-sensor-thread-adapter-for-gt86/

GS_GT86_Gallery2__37384.1496162060.jpg

This should screw into the 1/8" BSPT port on the 2GR-FE, and have the stock pressure switch plug into the female 1/8" BSPT at the end of the adapter. Then you have two 1/8" -27 NPT ports on the sides of the adapter for an oil pressure and oil temperature sensor that you can remote mount (as not to add extra pressure to the fitting).
I’m surprised it’s not a metric thread being. Japanese engine.

I’m surprised it’s not a metric thread being. Japanese engine.

For whatever reason the industry for oil pressure switches and sensors is either BSPT or NPT — oil temperature sensors on the other hand can be had in either regularly — a lot of Japanese engines will have BSPT oil pressure switches with metric oil temperature sensors. 🤷‍♂️

For whatever reason the industry for oil pressure switches and sensors is either BSPT or NPT — oil temperature sensors on the other hand can be had in either regularly — a lot of Japanese engines will have BSPT oil pressure switches with metric oil temperature sensors. 🤷‍♂️
Like my Land Rover had 4 different types of thread/bolts and peiopke wonder why loads of bold heads have been rounded off 😂

I just changed the oil at 800 miles and was looking for the oil pressure gage in the display… looked here and found out there isn’t one 🤦🏽‍♂️

Another thing I thought about was what if there’s an oil leak? The aluminum aero sections that run the full length of the car would hide a leak pretty well.

Reading through this thread I can see people were also missing the oil temp gage? I’m pretty sure it has an oil temperature gage… our dealer told my wife to let it warm up to 130° before driving away. I haven’t looked closely from the passenger seat, but this gage appears at the bottom right of the drivers display. The icon is blue, then turns transparent or turns red. Don’t remember which. She pointed it out to me the other day.

You drive i4 or V6 engine ?
V6

I’ll check it when I get home and take a pic. It could be the coolant gage if this car really isn’t supposed to have an oil temp gage? I don’t drive it much, so I can’t be positive. Now I’m doubtful 😆