• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Open Valve Hack

Paddle

Reaction score
I’m looking to permanently open the exhaust valves. As I don’t really have a need to buy a custom controller for ~$500.

I’m wondering if when I put the emira in race mode and/or rev the throttle whilst simultaneously disconnecting the valve controller will they remain permanently open?

Possibly, at least it works on other cars. It'll throw a code that won't go away tho.
Just putting it in race/track won't open it fully, not sure if I'd want to tinker on the car while someone is sending it above :LOL:

I am pretty sure the SOUL Valve delete modules for the GT3 are plug and play for the Emira. They are $355 for 2. Maybe they'll sell just one? Or go in halfsies with someone else.
hmmm, now that's an idea. If so then I'm down for splitting and can get for cheaper

I pulled the fuse on my Supra to have the exhaust valve always open. It worked great and didn't trigger any warning lights. Wondering if the same can be done to the Emira. But I haven't seen anyone done that yet.

The Emira’s valve controller reports back over CAN acknowledgement of valve changes I think or at the very least some sort of initialization communication. Unplugging them will lead to an error and possibly a reduced power mode. We’ve seen this come up a couple times with various people who have disconnected them, or had valves fail etc.

The miltek controller acts as some sort of CAN gateway / emulator.

The Emira’s valve controller reports back over CAN acknowledgement of valve changes I think or at the very least some sort of initialization communication. Unplugging them will lead to an error and possibly a reduced power mode. We’ve seen this come up a couple times with various people who have disconnected them, or had valves fail etc.

The miltek controller acts as some sort of CAN gateway / emulator.
I can confirm it throws up a warning after trying this route before installing a Miltek exhaust. Luckily it didn’t lower the power or log something the dealer could see.
I am sure the Porsche one would be fine because I had one for my Audi that was £100.

I am pretty sure the SOUL Valve delete modules for the GT3 are plug and play for the Emira. They are $355 for 2. Maybe they'll sell just one? Or go in halfsies with someone else.
Where do they plug in? The website isn't clear. The photo looks like it maybes goes into the fuse box?

Correct, plugs to the end of the harness that would normally go to the valve so ECU is happy. All you have to do is figure out how to keep the valve physically opened all the time. Some people tie it with wire, you can also weld open.

I confirmed with a friend he used the SOUL controller and it works. If you reach out to them they will sell you just one.

Correct.
The Emira’s valve controller reports back over CAN acknowledgement of valve changes I think
Mine lost calibration and threw an error because of minor differences from the expected position. Needed grease and recalibration. Didn’t cut power. Sounded lovely :D

Calibration can only be triggered by Lotus Insight tool, so if you experiment and want to revert that’s a trip to the dealer guaranteed.

Sadly a more intelligent valve controller in this one

Will it still get upset if you keep the controllers plugged in but not in contact with the valves themselves?
I suspect it will still note that the movement is out of range (and may also create a calibration issue) but if that's not something that presents itself as a malfunction, that might be ok too.

On my BMW that's what I'm currently doing with spacers and extended bolts which keeps the factory valve controllers still 'mounted' in the factory locations but they no longer make contact with the flaps. I then secure the flaps wide open. The BMW does have a code but it does not trigger any malfunction lights, limit power, or cause an issue for taking the car in for service.

Will it still get upset if you keep the controllers plugged in but not in contact with the valves themselves?
I suspect it will still note that the movement is out of range (and may also create a calibration issue) but if that's not something that presents itself as a malfunction, that might be ok too.

On my BMW that's what I'm currently doing with spacers and extended bolts which keeps the factory valve controllers still 'mounted' in the factory locations but they no longer make contact with the flaps. I then secure the flaps wide open. The BMW does have a code but it does not trigger any malfunction lights, limit power, or cause an issue for taking the car in for service.
There’s some physical stops that need to be there I believe or it goes out of calibration.

Honestly, just buy the miltek valve controller.

Yes. It will return a P1801 CEL.

I have the Miltek valve controller on my Emira and it works well - cheap to buy, relatively quick to install too. I mostly now just leave the valves open all the time (cold starts are much better now!), but it's good to have the choice without having to change driving modes.

Back