• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Paint Protection Film (PPF) and Wrap for your Emira

Will You PPF/Wrap Your Emira

• PPF Front End

Votes: 115 34.6%
  • PPF Full Wrap

Votes: 155 46.7%
  • Coloured Full Wrap

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • No Wrap

Votes: 47 14.2%

• Total voters
I'm not familiar with no rinse products. Easiest way according to installer, is just to use a foam cannon with high pressure wash, microfiber mitt, rinse, blow dry and towel dry. Separate mitt for wheels. Nothing really special. He said ordinary car soap is fine. I would look for one that reads OK with ceramic. Probably Adam's is safe.

I'm not familiar with no rinse products. Easiest way according to installer, is just to use a foam cannon with high pressure wash, microfiber mitt, rinse, blow dry and towel dry. Separate mitt for wheels. Nothing really special. He said ordinary car soap is fine. I would look for one that reads OK with ceramic. Probably Adam's is safe.
Thanks @seriously. I'm starting to align on how I plan to do this and have ordered some products. But I'm not getting why use a foam cannon, if you're just going to use a mitt on the surface anyway. Then why not just regular car wash suds? I was thinking, but am probably wrong about this, that the whole idea of the foam cannon is to avoid rubbing the surface. Or is the foam cannon with high pressure wash, as you mention, designed to get most of the grit off the surface before you then use the mitt? If so, would one of the foam sprayer attachments to a garden hose suffice in that regard?

Thanks @seriously. I'm starting to align on how I plan to do this and have ordered some products. But I'm not getting why use a foam cannon, if you're just going to use a mitt on the surface anyway. Then why not just regular car wash suds? I was thinking, but am probably wrong about this, that the whole idea of the foam cannon is to avoid rubbing the surface. Or is the foam cannon with high pressure wash, as you mention, designed to get most of the grit off the surface before you then use the mitt? If so, would one of the foam sprayer attachments to a garden hose suffice in that regard?
I use a cheap Armour All Foam cannon (got at AutoZone it think), just attached to my hose. It actually works well and has a quick connect to drop off the foam cup for rinsing. I use it to suds the car well and then just rinse it with water...definately trying to get rid off all loose dust and containments...trying to clean the car before washing it lol. I then use a mitt and warm water bucket with the cleaner in it. The idea is that you want as little containment and lots of lubrication when washing, all to prevent swirls and scratches.

My car is just about all PPF'd. I reached out to chem guys to see what products they recommend. They said the Mr. Pink wash and the Wrap Detailer. I was using the Citrus Wash & Gloss, which I really like, but they said it may be too aggressive for PPF. I now see today they offer a Mr. Pink with Wax...I will try that next. They wrap detail is supposed to be a waterless wash, but I just put in on after washing as a UV protectant/ gloss enhancer.

I use a cheap Armour All Foam cannon (got at AutoZone it think), just attached to my hose. It actually works well and has a quick connect to drop off the foam cup for rinsing. I use it to suds the car well and then just rinse it with water...definately trying to get rid off all loose dust and containments...trying to clean the car before washing it lol. I then use a mitt and warm water bucket with the cleaner in it. The idea is that you want as little containment and lots of lubrication when washing, all to prevent swirls and scratches.

My car is just about all PPF'd. I reached out to chem guys to see what products they recommend. They said the Mr. Pink wash and the Wrap Detailer. I was using the Citrus Wash & Gloss, which I really like, but they said it may be too aggressive for PPF. I now see today they offer a Mr. Pink with Wax...I will try that next. They wrap detail is supposed to be a waterless wash, but I just put in on after washing as a UV protectant/ gloss enhancer.
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. So a 2-step wash, as you describe, and I think that makes sense. And depending how good the 1st step is, I imagine the second will be pretty quick. But on the wash, I was just deciding between Chem Guys Mr PInk and the Honeydew and I pulled the trigger on the Honeydew. What do you think? Looking again I think they steered you away from the Citrus because it has additional gloss enhancers which I've heard may not be what you want when you already have ceramic over your PPF. Mr Pink and Honeydew doesn't have the gloss enhancer I think.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. So a 2-step wash, as you describe, and I think that makes sense. And depending how good the 1st step is, I imagine the second will be pretty quick. But on the wash, I was just deciding between Chem Guys Mr PInk and the Honeydew and I pulled the trigger on the Honeydew. What do you think? Looking again I think they steered you away from the Citrus because it has additional gloss enhancers which I've heard may not be what you want when you already have ceramic over your PPF. Mr Pink and Honeydew doesn't have the gloss enhancer I think.
I chose not to do the ceramic over the PPF. They just said the Citrus might be too aggressive. I think I read on the bottle that the Citrus in a strong concentration can be used to strip other waxes off. Although, I used it on the last black truck I owned that had the whole front and other parts PPF'ed. I never had any issues and had the truck for 3-4 years. But now just following what they said. To me they offer too many products, seems to be a lot of overlap and rather confusing. Glad to see now the offer the wash with a wax.

I have been researching this as well as my Emira is getting PPF right now. There are a bunch of YT channels on car care, however I have found this one to be pretty thorough for all skill levels.

I have been researching this as well as my Emira is getting PPF right now. There are a bunch of YT channels on car care, however I have found this one to be pretty thorough for all skill levels.

Pan is one of the good ones, lots of knowledge. I use, it seems pedestrian, Turtle Wax products the soap has a hydrophobic property that recharges the polish/wax or liquid wax that Turtle Wax uses. One coat of the polish /wax will last for many months.

STEK bulk-install by Lotus NJ prior to delivery, 775 miles in. Three areas with ppf separation, the first two of which will be easy replacements (mirror and rear bumper vent) but the rear quarter panel separation (3rd pic) by the air intake may require more work. Not sweating it - this is why people offer warranties. Two bubbles that were prominant have disappeared as they expected.
1000001849.jpg
1000001851.jpg
1000001853.jpg

I've been using Optimum No Rinse for several years - it is a sudsless wash that was recommended to me by a car detailer. With my Elise, I was tired of foam coming out of vents and other crannies the day after a wash even after lots and lots of rinsing. With Optimum No Rinse, no problem. Works great for me on the Emira, my Elise and former Alfa Romeo 4C.

Hi Everyone,

New to this forum and excited to join, getting my DV Emira V6 this week Friday.

I decided to wrap the car in silver metallic, hope this brings the curves out nicely.

Got a teaser pic today, can't wait to pick the car up.

Alex

IMG_8721.jpeg

Hi Everyone,

I decided to wrap the car in silver metallic, hope this brings the curves out nicely.

Alex

View attachment 46689
Very nice. That's one of my favorite colors on a car like the Emira and I'd wished that they had offered it. Can't wait to see pics of the finished product!

Hi Everyone,

Alex

View attachment 46689
Just curious.. Why not get Osmium at that point?

What did the wrap cost you? Would love to see the finished product as well.

I wanted a V6 manual with tan interior and the diamond cut wheels. My local dealer only had one car in that combination and that was the DV one.

Eventually, I might take the wrap off and just apply PPF, but for now I prefer a lighter colour and I have always liked silver cars.

Paid 2000 EUR before tax at a small local shop with good reputation.

Alex

Hi Everyone,

Alex

View attachment 46689
You mind taking a step back and getting a shot at the whole car? I would love to see the whole thing in that color.

Wow. That's mighty thick!!!
It’s not really 8mm thick. They call it “8mils” but it’s obviously not nearly 1cm thick. It’s probably less than 0.5mm. Not sure what unit of measurement they are actually using

It’s not really 8mm thick. They call it “8mils” but it’s obviously not nearly 1cm thick. It’s probably less than 0.5mm. Not sure what unit of measurement they are actually using
It's American slang for 8 thousands of an inch, 0.008", or 8 mill. I never use it because it's confusing if someone else is using millimeters.

I was just kidding around. :)

M

Back