• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Paint Protection Film (PPF) and Wrap for your Emira

Will You PPF/Wrap Your Emira

• PPF Front End

Votes: 115 34.4%
  • PPF Full Wrap

Votes: 157 47.0%
  • Coloured Full Wrap

Votes: 15 4.5%
  • No Wrap

Votes: 47 14.1%

• Total voters
Bit of a sidebar really, but is your guy good with fibreglass? you should know that every panel (except the roof and cantrails?) is composite.

It isn't so much that paint can't be fixed, as it is that living with chips/swirls/etchings until you have enough of them to warrant a respray is infuriating... I'm gonna pay up front for that sacrificial barrier, and be generally less stressed about rocks flying up, or letting the kids (or any person who is not specifically me) wash the car, or birds crapping on it, or whatever.
Yeah, I agree. Front fascia and hood need to be done. rest of the car, well, i NEVER get rock chips on anything other than front fascia and hood. Never have. I live in North east, it is humid, wet here, and it is not at all rocky. hard to explain. But yeah, i should do that xpel stuff sounds good and thick. You are right.

I have a guy named Larry on Long Island that is just wonderful at everything body wise.

These guys are near me and have indicative prices for the different options:
Interesting that they also mention selectively applying black PPF, if wanted (black pack on the cheap?):

Black is back! You don’t have to compromise if you are looking for the best paint protection for your car, and you would like to change a few elements to black. It is a trendy choice to change the appearance of a vehicle by applying Ultimate Plus Black only on some panels while wrapping the rest of the car in the classic clean film. Ultimate gloss black with superior fit and customisable coverage.

Also some indicative pricing from these guys in the Midlands (never used them but appear to be well known): https://www.elitedetailing.co.uk/services/paint-protection-film.html

Yes, black PPF is a way of achieving the Black Pack effect on roof and mirrors. It’ll also provide more protection than a vinyl wrap.

I spoke to a guy who came highly recommended (albeit I have not used him myself yet). F430 first, then Emira if all good!
However, he said without seeing a car, he can't promise that he will be able to wrap all the edges due to how it is put together. He warned of having 1mm lines of body colour showing if the edges is not exposed enough for wrapping. He showed me on an R8 V10 he was doing. Also mentioned 'shoulders' I think which is when the corner has to be cut in a certain way so as not to peel. This would expose more than 1mm at any 'points'. He really did seem to know his stuff. It made me realise that I need to decide on BP for order and not rely on PPF to create the look.

I spoke to a guy who came highly recommended (albeit I have not used him myself yet). F430 first, then Emira if all good!
However, he said without seeing a car, he can't promise that he will be able to wrap all the edges due to how it is put together. He warned of having 1mm lines of body colour showing if the edges is not exposed enough for wrapping. He showed me on an R8 V10 he was doing. Also mentioned 'shoulders' I think which is when the corner has to be cut in a certain way so as not to peel. This would expose more than 1mm at any 'points'. He really did seem to know his stuff. It made me realise that I need to decide on BP for order and not rely on PPF to create the look.
I am personally keeping the blackpack, and then ppf on top if guaranteed, if not at least ceramic coating

Anyone have any views on spray PP compared to PPF? Would seem to overcome the edge issue.

Anyone have any views on spray PP compared to PPF? Would seem to overcome the edge issue.
Yes, this is one of the key benefits of Liquid PPF, and when compared to earlier film-type PPF, there is no yellowing at the edges. I Have treated one of the cars to liquid PPF and it is good - a number of layers can be sprayed on to increase the level of protection. One could even have a complete colour change if one really fancies a change.

For those in the UK, I know Lotus Silverstone have someone who can do the liquid PPF, I can't remember who I spoke to but he said you're looking at about £5k for the whole car to be done.

I just spoke to a company that do both and they told me its significantly more to do the spray coat because they strip the car down in the same way as if you were doing a respray.

I just spoke to a company that do both and they told me its significantly more to do the spray coat because they strip the car down in the same way as if you were doing a respray.
That sounds about tight - I used LogicVPC to have the whole car except the roof done.

Don’t want panels being removed on a brand new car so that’s out

Reactions: ADC
For those in the UK, I know Lotus Silverstone have someone who can do the liquid PPF, I can't remember who I spoke to but he said you're looking at about £5k for the whole car to be done.
Yeah, this is the mob I presume Lotus Silverstone use (they are just a few doors down in the same industrial complex)
Ngenco sprayable paint protection (PPS) (autowaxworks.co.uk)

I'm going to have an annoyingly (for them :)) in-depth conversation with them closer to the time.

Don’t want panels being removed on a brand new car so that’s out
Agree... this is probably the biggest factor that dampens my enthusiasm about the spray-on protection systems as well. I'm still planning to find out more about it, as leaving edges unprotected also sounds unappealing.

Im pretty happy with the PPF on my car, solid black paint got peppered with chips and rash after a NC500 trip! Liquid PPF seems a great 'ultimate' solution but 5k is the cost of a very good full body respray. My PPF has been wrapped around the panels, eg bonnet line and wing/door and there are only a few visible lines around headlight and grill etc. The problem comes if you use 'white' car polish that then shows up on the PPF edges. Using a clear protection like a ceramic / clear wax seems fine.
Either way a few very faint edges is better than any stone chips or marks :)

I've never had PPF before, but considering a partial front end PPF for the Emira. It will be a weekend car only though so not sure if the cost is justified against a front end respray in few years. I've also heard some stories of larger stone chips damaging the PPF and paint underneath - leaving the cost of both a respray and re-ppf.

I was asked about PPF on the last car I bought, so I asked to see an example. This was the kind of thing I was shown (not my photos, just similar example I found online):

1643726345542.png

1643726396188.png

My eye was immediately drawn to those edges... and I couldn't stand them. My mate's 911 Turbo is the same (it was already wrapped when he bought it). Is all PPF really like this? The car I was shown was worth over £200K, and I thought the PPF completely spoiled it.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back