Panel defect or rock chip?

Reaction score
After just finishing the break-in mileage, I’ve noticed what looks to be a panel defect on the rear driver’s side bumper. Fairly certain this was not caused by an impact as the paint is pristine. I have a dashcam installed and it would be an unlikely (or at least a highly specific) area to take an impact without damaging the body work above it.

Sent video and pictures to the dealer. Their initial assessment is that it could be rock chips. Does that sound reasonable, given the location of the depression and the still pristine paintwork? Thanks for taking a look!

Attachments

• IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_6780.jpeg
    IMG_6780.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 297
Thanks see the panel misalignment - there is also a depression in the bumper itself. Here is a brief video clip showing the depression.

Attachments

• IMG_6775.mov
    16.3 MB
Based on your video it looks like a panel alignment issue not a rock chip. Like some part of the fastening is torqued too much and bending the panel a funny way.

Thanks @seriously! Do you think this can wait until the next service or oil change to fix or do you think it’s better to address this in the near term?

I'm no expert, but it doesn't feel urgent to me. I would save your time and tackle it when you're bringing your car for another reason.

Thanks again for the comments. Emailed again with the dealer and here is the response in case helpful for others:

“Now looking at the panel - your answer from the forum is likely correct. We've noticed similar, but less pronounced misalignments, so that's likely the case. There shouldn't be any strain put on it with the alignment it's currently at, and you can either wait until you have it in for service, or schedule something sooner if you prefer.“

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back