• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Poll for Those with Paint Blistering / Bubbling Defect

Does your Emira have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling issues, and if it does, when was it manufactured?

• My Emira does not have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues

Votes: 91 68.4%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (Prior to 01/23)

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (01/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (02/23)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (03/23)

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (04/23)

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (05/23)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (06/23)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (07/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (08/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (09/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (10/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (After 10/23)

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
I surely hope this is not from service tech doing. Did find it odd that 30miles was added to my car when I picked it up. Can't really think the need to be driven so far just to check why my fuel gauge is stuck at 1/3... unless a mandatory test? Who knows..don't want to think about it that way. Might make my blood boil.

It doesn't seem to appear like an external damage. I tried pushing it in that part of bumper and won't budge. That part of bumper is hard And had no play.. Hard to see but at the center of each cracks is a bubble. Like something is pushing it out. There's about 4 of them but hard to see
Fellow vivid red owner here who also has experienced a few strange paint defect issues (mfg April 2024). I agree with the others on here that yours don't appear to be the same blistering issue being discussed for most of this thread......I don't believe mine was either.

The most common cause for webbing/cracking paint is flex, which would mean your bumper was either manhandled or hit by the service tech. What's strange about your pics is that it almost seems as though there are bumps at the center of each of the webbing points. Are there bumps coming up or is that an optical illusion caused by the lighting and cellphone camera?

Fellow vivid red owner here who also has experienced a few strange paint defect issues (mfg April 2024). I agree with the others on here that yours don't appear to be the same blistering issue being discussed for most of this thread......I don't believe mine was either.

The most common cause for webbing/cracking paint is flex, which would mean your bumper was either manhandled or hit by the service tech. What's strange about your pics is that it almost seems as though there are bumps at the center of each of the webbing points. Are there bumps coming up or is that an optical illusion caused by the lighting and cellphone camera?
Yes there are bumps coming up on each center of webbing. About four of them that I can feel and see easily. I'm also believing that it is a service tech doing. Looked into my invoice and saw that they apparently removed the bumper to check my front sensor issue where it keeps going off. Galpin is looking through it. They forwarded it to Lotus and waiting for reply from them if it's a paint defect under warranty. So really curious how it will play out.

Latest update is I’m now waiting for a new rear quarter with no date of availability so they are going to book it in to sort out the air conditioning. It is probably 2 issues, the first being the resister that fails and the second is potentially low on gas as it has been the case on some coming from the factory low, but there are 2 seals to check for leakage. The resister issue gets sorted with a new part but until you get the revised shield the problem will return and there are none available due to all cars getting this fix.
I spoke to the top boss at the dealer who enlightened me on what the Head Engineer at Hethel had told him about the blisters. Apparently the rumour of panels being left outside isn’t true. The panels had 2 issues, one being they should have been resin coated on the inside and the second there were no drain holes in the bottom allowing the water to sit on a ledge that slowly absorbed water. All replacement doors are the new ones that shouldn’t get the problem again. It’s a pain but at least it looks like the problem will have a permanent fix.
Very useful information. Is it your understanding from this that all cars before a certain build date (mid 23 I guess) will have the defective doors or is it down to a number of bad batches of doors which weren't finished properly? Sounds like the former :unsure:

Latest update is I’m now waiting for a new rear quarter with no date of availability so they are going to book it in to sort out the air conditioning. It is probably 2 issues, the first being the resister that fails and the second is potentially low on gas as it has been the case on some coming from the factory low, but there are 2 seals to check for leakage. The resister issue gets sorted with a new part but until you get the revised shield the problem will return and there are none available due to all cars getting this fix.
I spoke to the top boss at the dealer who enlightened me on what the Head Engineer at Hethel had told him about the blisters. Apparently the rumour of panels being left outside isn’t true. The panels had 2 issues, one being they should have been resin coated on the inside and the second there were no drain holes in the bottom allowing the water to sit on a ledge that slowly absorbed water. All replacement doors are the new ones that shouldn’t get the problem again. It’s a pain but at least it looks like the problem will have a permanent fix.
This is a worse explanation than the first theory. So it’s not a process issue at Lotus at all, an untold amount of cars are guaranteed to be blistering because of *checks notes*: bad panels AND improper drainage design.

I’m also pretty sure this explanation is also bullshit because it came from someone who talked to someone at Lotus. In between expensive warranty paint claims and inability to sell EVs in a number of core markets i’m just not sure how Lotus is going to stay in business at this point.

Will there be a company to claim warranty claims against in a years time from now?

This is a worse explanation than the first theory. So it’s not a process issue at Lotus at all, an untold amount of cars are guaranteed to be blistering because of *checks notes*: bad panels AND improper drainage design.

I’m also pretty sure this explanation is also bullshit because it came from someone who talked to someone at Lotus. In between expensive warranty paint claims and inability to sell EVs in a number of core markets i’m just not sure how Lotus is going to stay in business at this point.

Will there be a company to claim warranty claims against in a years time from now?
I mean, it’s the best explanation we’ve got so far, doesn’t seem all that far fetched to me. They had to determine the cause to prevent (as you said) untold millions of dollars in warranty repairs that would eventually bankrupt the company.

Being publicly traded opens them to new liabilities, and makes it hard to just fold and not pay warranty claims, especially when other brands in the portfolio (Volvo, etc.) are solvent.

If bankruptcy does happen, while inconvenient for sure, might make the Emira an instant classic. Silver lining? Just get your doors fixed before it happens. 😆

I mean, it’s the best explanation we’ve got so far, doesn’t seem all that far fetched to me. They had to determine the cause to prevent (as you said) untold millions of dollars in warranty repairs that would eventually bankrupt the company.

Being publicly traded opens them to new liabilities, and makes it hard to just fold and not pay warranty claims, especially when other brands in the portfolio (Volvo, etc.) are solvent.

If bankruptcy does happen, while inconvenient for sure, might make the Emira an instant classic. Silver lining? Just get your doors fixed before it happens. 😆
As long as it doesn't end up like Fisker. People with Fisker Ocean instantly became owners of a very expensive paper weight. lol

As long as it doesn't end up like Fisker. People with Fisker Ocean instantly became owners of a very expensive paper weight. lol
Pretty amazing that list price $70K Fiskers can't sell, even with 60% off discounts attached! At least the Emira is far more analog mechanically speaking than the Fisker and it's cloud connected "features" that will cease working.

I don’t understand why it would be bullshit due to someone speaking to a person at Lotus. It was the Lotus dealer manager who said he personally spoke to the head engineer at Lotus. The head engineer is the one who decides what the issue is, so must either be the truth or the official story they want us to know. If it wasn’t the truth why would they admit to the door not having the correct drainage, despite having having a plausible excuse that the panels weren’t resin coated on the insides?
It’s hard to know who will be affected because if someone had a door from a batch that had been resin coated would it eventually cause the same issue without the correct drainage?

I thought of a good idea. Someone with a later car could photograph the underneath where the drain holes are and then owners could check theirs to know if they have the correct drainage.

I’m just glad they are replacing my panels so at least some point it will be ok. I wonder what would happen if this issue happened for the first time after the 5 year paint warranty ran out? It would be terrible to own a car that could be £50k in good condition and have new panels and a virtual respray to pay for.

I’m just glad they are replacing my panels so at least some point it will be ok. I wonder what would happen if this issue happened for the first time after the 5 year paint warranty ran out? It would be terrible to own a car that could be £50k in good condition and have new panels and a virtual respray to pay for.
This is my concern. We know now that the paint warranty is 3 years, not five as stated on the website for the last two years. What if you get this problem in the 4th year of ownership? Knowing that Lotus has form for exorbitant parts prices, I could easily two new doors and extensive respray work coming to 10 to 15k.

This is my concern. We know now that the paint warranty is 3 years, not five as stated on the website for the last two years. What if you get this problem in the 4th year of ownership? Knowing that Lotus has form for exorbitant parts prices, I could easily two new doors and extensive respray work coming to 10 to 15k.
Has this now been confirmed? Last I read, 1 person said it had been confirmed at 3 years by, another said they’d been told 5 also by CS 🤷🏽‍♂️

Has this now been confirmed? Last I read, 1 person said it had been confirmed at 3 years by, another said they’d been told 5 also by CS 🤷🏽‍♂️
I was told by CS recently it was 3 years. I pointed out the discrepancy with the Lotus UK website which has said quite clearly for two years that the paint warranty is 5 for years not 3. They checked with their warranty department and stated that the website is wrong and that the paint warranty is definitely 3 years only. This seems like pretty outrageous backtracking to me, but as far as I am aware none of us were given any kind of document at time of purchase stating the length of the paint warranty, so we are stuck with it. This could become a very, very expensive issue for owners who get paint blisters after 3 years.

Claim submitted and approved April 9th. Finally in for door replacement today. Fingers crossed for a decent paint match!

I was told by CS recently it was 3 years. I pointed out the discrepancy with the Lotus UK website which has said quite clearly for two years that the paint warranty is 5 for years not 3. They checked with their warranty department and stated that the website is wrong and that the paint warranty is definitely 3 years only. This seems like pretty outrageous backtracking to me, but as far as I am aware none of us were given any kind of document at time of purchase stating the length of the paint warranty, so we are stuck with it. This could become a very, very expensive issue for owners who get paint blisters after 3 years.

It’s still showing as 5 years under the warranty info on their website. You’d think given the issues they are having, they’d have removed it quick sharp if it’s wrong.

I’ve taken a pdf and screen shot and would fancy my chances of fighting it out should the worst happen, but it would be a nightmare I’d rather not have to get involved in.

Given the blistering is caused by an issue with the design of the door, it may be a case of “when, rather than if” on early cars before the door was redesigned. If this is the case, maybe the ones with issues showing inside the warranty period are the “lucky” ones 🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:
It’s still showing as 5 years under the warranty info on their website. You’d think given the issues they are having, they’d have removed it quick sharp if it’s wrong.

I’ve taken a pdf and screen shot and would fancy my chances of fighting it out should the worst happen, but it would be a nightmare I’d rather not have to get involved in.

Given the blistering is caused by an issue with the design of the door, it may be a case of “when, rather than if” one early cars before the door was redesigned. If this is the case, maybe the ones with issues showing inside the warranty period are the “lucky” ones 🤷🏽‍♂️
@Gooner your correct, a number of the Lotus websites in various countries still display the paint as being covered for 5 years. What is consistent with other areas of Lotus quality control is that many refer to the Eletre instead of the Emira......this despite being on pages specifically for Emira warranty information (at least the UK site has Emira).

Unfortunately for the USA it's clear cut that paint/panels are only covered for 3 years per the official warranty guide:

As for the UK, things are a bit more opaque as their official guide does not specifically call out the 3 years and instead provides an email address for owners to confirm their coverage:
Most of the handbooks throughout Europe specifically call out 3 years in a similar fashion to the USA guide. Considering the majority of the Lotus written material lists 3 years, this period seems to be their actual intention. The 5 years listed on various websites is just more of Lotus being Lotus.......

Attachments

• Paint_Warranty_2.jpg
    Paint_Warranty_2.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 6
Welp!

Seems to be going downhill from here for me for my Vivid Red. Just noticed paint peeling and bubbling on driver side bumper inlet. Luckily it's very hard to notice unless you duck down to inspect it.

What's going on here? Kind of hard to see but there is a bubble on top of the peeled paint. I've pressed it and feels like will fall off anytime soon aswell. :(

1000026266.jpg

Welp!

Seems to be going downhill from here for me for my Vivid Red. Just noticed paint peeling and bubbling on driver side bumper inlet. Luckily it's very hard to notice unless you duck down to inspect it.

What's going on here? Kind of hard to see but there is a bubble on top of the peeled paint. I've pressed it and feels like will fall off anytime soon aswell. :(

View attachment 47732

Bumpers aren't grp but ABS, so this is most likely poor paint adhesion. A respray should fix this.

Bumpers aren't grp but ABS, so this is most likely poor paint adhesion. A respray should fix this.
Yup I'm sure it's an easy fix but is this also happening to some Emira or just an unfortunate issue on my end?

Yup I'm sure it's an easy fix but is this also happening to some Emira or just an unfortunate issue on my end?
I’ve seen various issues with the abs bumpers, some paint bubbling some adhesion issue, not nearly as widespread as the other issues. Think you’re just unlucky friend :(

The all new state of the art Lotus paint process seems to be lacking.:unsure:

Just changed my vote!

After 1.5 years of ownership I now have the blistering paint on both doors - see attached pics of passenger door, which is far worse.

Build date as per certificate is 10th October 2022!

Car was delivered in Dec 2022, then fully PPF'd, only covered 4081 miles, is always garaged, not used in the wet, last washed 3 weeks ago, which has more than likely delayed the appearance.

Went for a drive in the sunny weather last Wednesday (17th July) - The blistering wasn't there when we set off but was there 5hrs later...

Dealer wanted to see the car. They will replace both doors and cover the cost of the whole PPF to be redone pending Lotus approval.
But, I'm number 39 in the queue at my dealer, so 6+ month wait, plus I'll lose the use of the car again for a while, plus my time and fuel driving it back and forth...

Pissed off is an understatement :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_1297.jpeg
    IMG_1297.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1298.jpeg
    IMG_1298.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 82
Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back