• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Poll for Those with Paint Blistering / Bubbling Defect

Does your Emira have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling issues, and if it does, when was it manufactured?

• My Emira does not have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues

Votes: 91 68.4%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (Prior to 01/23)

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (01/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (02/23)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (03/23)

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (04/23)

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (05/23)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (06/23)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (07/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (08/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (09/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (10/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (After 10/23)

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
Hi, I now have the same blistering problem, mine was April 23 build.
Booked in for the works to be done at my local dealer in a few weeks.
This is really souring what should be a great car experience

Attachments

• Door Blisters.jpg
    Door Blisters.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 68
I just read 20 pages of this, and as a guy with OCD about paint, I'm simply worried about something like this happening to me. My car was built in November 2023, and I've had it since May 2024 with full body PPF and ceramic coating. I wash my car very often, almost every week. If something like this happens, I'm going to trade it for an Evora GT.

Thanks and sorry you couldn’t get it fixed yet. Mine are uneven. I don’t have a major issue but wonder if I should lift the flush one up a bit and go for the best seal possible.
If you don’t have any whistling noise, no leaks when jetting washing your car then let it fly. I had water droplets on the inside of the window after a jet wash. The way to see if you have a sealing issue is to bend down and look closely at the top of window seal directly above the door mirror. Mine had a tiny gap which can only be seen if you kneel down. Both windows on each side was aligned differently.

I just read 20 pages of this, and as a guy with OCD about paint, I'm simply worried about something like this happening to me. My car was built in November 2023, and I've had it since May 2024 with full body PPF and ceramic coating. I wash my car very often, almost every week. If something like this happens, I'm going to trade it for an Evora GT.
Sadly it’s a question of time, how it’s kept (outside or inside) & weather conditions. No one really knows if Lotus has remedied the manufacturing process but being a glass fibre composite the probability of it happening is pretty high.

Sadly it’s a question of time, how it’s kept (outside or inside) & weather conditions. No one really knows if Lotus has remedied the manufacturing process but being a glass fibre composite the probability of it happening is pretty high.
My car is always kept inside, and I don't drive it in the rain. Maybe I should, lol, but this sucks, and I feel the pain of the owners.

There was a rumor that sometime around May 2023 new doors were supplied that had a water drain at the bottom, and a white resin coating inside meant to prevent this issue. No clue if this is just hearsay or reality, but hope someone can confirm at some point.

There was a rumor that sometime around May 2023 new doors were supplied that had a water drain at the bottom, and a white resin coating inside meant to prevent this issue. No clue if this is just hearsay or reality, but hope someone can confirm at some point.
That’s would be awesome if someone can confirm this . But looks like the cars after may had still the issue .

That’s would be awesome if someone can confirm this . But looks like the cars after may had still the issue .
Knowing Lotus, they might have found the solution in May 2023, but continued using up old doors for a while before the new parts were ordered. Who knows...

are there ways to see if the door panels are the improved ones? And is his only happening due to the seal (between the window and door panel)?

My cars' build date is 10th Oct 2022. There is a single drain right at the front of the doors (you'll see this during / after hosing off the car where water can be seen dripping onto the black door seals at the very front).
Also I have the white “Substance” on the backside of the door panels / skins…..which obviously didn’t work ;)

1721842490969.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 27
My cars' build date is 10th Oct 2022. There is a single drain right at the front of the doors (you'll see this during / after hosing off the car where water can be seen dripping onto the black door seals at the very front).
Also I have the white “Substance” on the backside of the door panels / skins…..which obviously didn’t work ;)

View attachment 48275
Yeah When I was washing the car I saw water is coming off in the front of the door I mean like you said I saw water dripping on front lower black pack

Nov 23 delivery and 26k km in, blisters just showed up on both doors.
Parked inside but driven in the rain occasionally :(

😫

The worrying thing is, this seems like a build that would have happened after the “fix” was put in place……

I wonder how wealthy customers will react when blisters start popping out on the paint of the Eletre and Emeya?!

I’m fairly sure there is no “fix”.
I don't disagree.....

This is going to be horrendously expensive for Lotus (although it will keep the service centres and local body shops in business!).

Each double door claim is £4k. This is actually less than I thought it would be, but will still rack up given the number of vehicles that are / will be affected.

This is going to be horrendously expensive for Lotus (although it will keep the service centres and local body shops in business!).

Each double door claim is £4k. This is actually less than I thought it would be, but will still rack up given the number of vehicles that are / will be affected.
If it's a manufacturing fault, Teijin Automotive will be hit with a massive warranty claim from Lotus. After all, they were selected because they claimed to have a superior formulation that prevented this very issue!

Back