• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Poll for Those with Paint Blistering / Bubbling Defect

Does your Emira have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling issues, and if it does, when was it manufactured?

• My Emira does not have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues

Votes: 91 68.4%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (Prior to 01/23)

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (01/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (02/23)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (03/23)

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (04/23)

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (05/23)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (06/23)

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (07/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (08/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (09/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (10/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (After 10/23)

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
If it's a manufacturing fault, Teijin Automotive will be hit with a massive warranty claim from Lotus. After all, they were selected because they claimed to have a superior formulation that prevented this very issue!

We're buying Lotus, and it's been a hit with customers. However, issues like this don't help Lotus as a brand. Now I understand why they increased the prices of their cars—because of the extra doors, lol.
😆

Sorry my bad, Nov 22 delivery! I was curious if I would run into this problem since I had to deal with almost every single common fault but thought I was in the clear after so much time..

I probably have at least a few months for delivery, but this issue is making me think of ppf. Whether to get it or not. It seems lotus is paying to have it done again after the paint issues are rectified. I guess I have time to decide

I probably have at least a few months for delivery, but this issue is making me think of ppf. Whether to get it or not. It seems lotus is paying to have it done again after the paint issues are rectified. I guess I have time to decide
You have few months to cancel your order mate 🧉

Has anyone having had the repair see the difference between the original and modified doors?

I would love the see photographs of them from beneath the door and inside for a comparison. If no one has this I will be asking for this when mine eventually goes in.

Has anyone having had the repair see the difference between the original and modified doors?

I would love the see photographs of them from beneath the door and inside for a comparison. If no one has this I will be asking for this when mine eventually goes in.
Thanks for offering to do this. I agree this is the only way we can know for sure. I find it hard to believe Lotus intends to just replace all doors indefinitely without an update to the design after 2+ years.

If that was the case, we would see people having this done 2, maybe even 3 times before the paint warranty ends. No way they would allow this, right?!

Is this the drain hole? I saw this at the bottom of my door towards the hinge. Does this mean I have the newer door?
IMG_5711.jpeg

IMG_5713.jpeg

Is this the drain hole? I saw this at the bottom of my door towards the hinge. Does this mean I have the newer door?
View attachment 48381
View attachment 48384
Not sure until I see the new ones. I’d imagine there is some form of drainage on the original one buts it’s improved on all the newer ones.

@Rupes - I’m sure this won’t happen again after the fix. They said all the doors been fitted to the new cars have the correct drainage and are resin sealed on the inside so they can’t become porous.

It makes me wonder if the rear quarters need sealing as well because they were quick to say they were replacing the rear quarter panel.

Not sure until I see the new ones. I’d imagine there is some form of drainage on the original one buts it’s improved on all the newer ones.

@Rupes - I’m sure this won’t happen again after the fix. They said all the doors been fitted to the new cars have the correct drainage and are resin sealed on the inside so they can’t become porous.

It makes me wonder if the rear quarters need sealing as well because they were quick to say they were replacing the rear quarter panel.
Thanks. Do you know how I can check for the resin coating?

Last edited:
so if they replace the doors and you have ppf, lotus pays to replace the ppf? Also I think I read on here a while back that in US the warranty for this is only 3 years whereas elsewhere its 5 years? Is this all true?

so if they replace the doors and you have ppf, lotus pays to replace the ppf? Also I think I read on here a while back that in US the warranty for this is only 3 years whereas elsewhere its 5 years? Is this all true?
I can't speak for every dealer repair but mine spoke to Lotus and said as long as the warranty claim is agreed at the same time it would include the PPF,. That being sad I did have to get the PPF quote in advance for Lotus to review. I am sure if the price was higher that they thought is reasonable they wouldn't pay it.

Looks like the warranty on the paintwork is 3 years everywhere and 5 years it was regarding the Electra only. If I had ab issue after 3 years I would still go back to them and state it was due to a sub standard initial build with a known fix.

Anyone knows about the color match after replacing parts?

After looking through some of the previous pics I wanted to see what drain holes were on my Emira. My Emira was an April 24' build. In the first pic i have the drain hole all the way towards the front of the door. I have noticed water dripping from that area after a wash (guess that means it is doing it's job). In the second pic there are two other holes that have been plugged with rubber stoppers. Once it gets a bit cooler out or this weekend I will take a scope up into the door to see if I can see any coating.
IMG_1974.jpg
IMG_1976.jpeg

I see you're from Edinburgh so I guess this is Lotus Glasgow? Good that they can do the repair in house. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

As an aside we should arrange an East of Scotland Emira meet up sometime. I'm based just south of Edinburgh.
Indeed lads at Hamilton park, Ross has
Moved into a new role so dealing with Gordon now. Was due in Monday there but delay with doors so likely be another week or 2

I am also south of Edinburgh so prob fairly close by. Also up for a spirited drive somewhere

OK. I washed my car today and opened the doors to clean up the door jams. Water came out of the door drain holes like a waterfall. I have no idea why there is so much water in the doors in the first place but this has me thinking that if you don’t open the doors and let the water fully drain you definitely have water in your doors after a wash or rain.

Sounds odd but going forward I am going to open the doors on my car to let the water drain out after any water encounters.

Life with Lotus.

Back