• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Poll for Those with Paint Blistering / Bubbling Defect

Does your Emira have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling issues, and if it does, when was it manufactured?

• My Emira does not have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues

Votes: 92 68.7%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (Prior to 01/23)

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (01/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (02/23)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (03/23)

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (04/23)

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (05/23)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (06/23)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (07/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (08/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (09/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (10/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (After 10/23)

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
I would think some gap to allow moisture to escpe isn't a bad thing. No way you prevent 100% of water from getting in there.

I also don't think any of us really have a clue about how to remedy this, lol. I've just accepted it might happen, and if it does, I'll get it fixed or move on. Those of you fretting over it preemptively should probably consider moving on now. Not worth the stress, it's just supposed to be a fun car.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment -- I just think it's a disappointing way to experience this car.

I wish Lotus did better.

This has been a very interesting thread to read. Usually paint defects like blisters and bubbling are because something was on the surface that got painted over, and that's causing the paint to not adhere in that particular spot. Often it's oils of some kind, even the skin oils of someone touching the surface before it was painted.

Since the body panels are essentially fabricated plastic, I wonder if there's something IN the material that over time is making it's way to the surface (under the paint) and causing the blister? Like maybe it wasn't cured long enough, and a gas or something in the material is causing this?

This wouldn't be something Lotus did, or even an issue with the paint or their paint system. This would be an issue that came with the parts when Lotus got them, and they wouldn't have any way of knowing this until the problem showed up. This has to be frustrating for Lotus too, as this kind of warranty issue pretty much wipes out whatever profit they made from selling the car.

Like others have said, I feel bad for those that are experiencing this, as it's certainly not what anybody (including Lotus) wants.

It’s frustrating for sure. I haven’t driven in the rain and have been doing no rinse “washes”. I’m so glad I got full ppf.

I would think some gap to allow moisture to escpe isn't a bad thing. No way you prevent 100% of water from getting in there.

The window seal is generally supposed to lie flat against the window. There are other places "to allow moisture to escape" like the drain holes.

It’s frustrating for sure. I haven’t driven in the rain and have been doing no rinse “washes”. I’m so glad I got full ppf.

I believe people with PPF still have this issue. I have a few issues with my Emira. When my seat finally comes to the dealership, they said they will fix everything. If it still has issues, I'll sell the car. Simple.

Last edited:
This has been a very interesting thread to read. Usually paint defects like blisters and bubbling are because something was on the surface that got painted over, and that's causing the paint to not adhere in that particular spot. Often it's oils of some kind, even the skin oils of someone touching the surface before it was painted.

Since the body panels are essentially fabricated plastic, I wonder if there's something IN the material that over time is making it's way to the surface (under the paint) and causing the blister? Like maybe it wasn't cured long enough, and a gas or something in the material is causing this?

This wouldn't be something Lotus did, or even an issue with the paint or their paint system. This would be an issue that came with the parts when Lotus got them, and they wouldn't have any way of knowing this until the problem showed up. This has to be frustrating for Lotus too, as this kind of warranty issue pretty much wipes out whatever profit they made from selling the car.

Like others have said, I feel bad for those that are experiencing this, as it's certainly not what anybody (including Lotus) wants.
This is the major concern. That there is some kind of latent defect that will show up after time only in particular conditions.

At a minimum it would be helpful if we could understand the triggering conditions and try to avoid them.

This is the major concern. That there is some kind of latent defect that will show up after time only in particular conditions.

At a minimum it would be helpful if we could understand the triggering conditions and try to avoid them.
That would require Lotus admitting there is an issue, identifying the affected cars, and fixing ones fitted with the faulty parts.

Too expensive for them to do it, easier and cheaper to just let it shake out and deny warranty coverage for those past 3 years.

That would require Lotus admitting there is an issue, identifying the affected cars, and fixing ones fitted with the faulty parts.

Too expensive for them to do it, easier and cheaper to just let it shake out and deny warranty coverage for those past 3 years.
Reminds me of rod bearings or IMS bearing issues. As long as the failure rate is sufficiently low it’s better to deal with the issue case by case than admit a factory defect. Can you imagine the cost to lotus???

Best hope is that we better understand the issue and figure out if in fact the issue has been definitively fixed after X date. Still not clear.

Totally agree that the bubbling issue is clearly the material/build of the composite material delivered to Lotus. Just follow the money, it's only logical that Lotus will do whatever solves the issue at the lowest possible cost. If simple weather stripping prevented this, they'd do a recall in a heartbeat. I would have to imagine that a cheap method of prevention like weather stripping would be FAR more economical than all of the damn doors they've replaced and will seemingly continue to replace.

Sure would be nice if Lotus provided the actual cause of the issue........they obviously know something or wouldn't go through the expense of replacing doors. KitKat is correct, the only reason to not admit the real reason is because Lotus would be on the hook to replace the doors of EVERY car sold with these defective parts vs waiting out the 3 years.

Totally agree that the bubbling issue is clearly the material/build of the composite material delivered to Lotus. Just follow the money, it's only logical that Lotus will do whatever solves the issue at the lowest possible cost. If simple weather stripping prevented this, they'd do a recall in a heartbeat. I would have to imagine that a cheap method of prevention like weather stripping would be FAR more economical than all of the damn doors they've replaced and will seemingly continue to replace.

Sure would be nice if Lotus provided the actual cause of the issue........they obviously know something or wouldn't go through the expense of replacing doors. KitKat is correct, the only reason to not admit the real reason is because Lotus would be on the hook to replace the doors of EVERY car sold with these defective parts vs waiting out the 3 years.
The frustrating thing for Lotus and the customer, is this seems to only be happening to a few cars. The vast majority aren't having this issue, and I can't even imagine what kind of testing process you'd be able to come up with to find out if any particular door is likely to have this issue. The only practical way is to wait until it shows up. If a lot start showing up in the next year or two, then there would be legal grounds to get an extension of the warranty for this particular problem. At that point, Lotus would have to engage with the supplier to figure out how this happened, how to cure it (they may have already), and who's going to pay for it. Technically, it would be the supplier.

Sadly I have just noticed my UK DV FE V6 has started paint bubbling 2 inches below the driver window in a line about 6 inches horizontally.

This is a brand new car bought August 8th so likely a build around June. :cry:

Am about to contact Lotus Silverstone.

Sadly I have just noticed my UK DV FE V6 has started paint bubbling 2 inches below the driver window in a line about 6 inches horizontally.

So much for the "redesigned doors" which eliminate the issue 😩

So much for the "redesigned doors" which eliminate the issue 😩
Its difficult to say. The car was bought in August 2024 but that's not necessarily reflective of its build date. Mine took about six months for the issue to start presenting itself on the driver's door and a year for the passenger.

Bugger. Sorry you have to go through this hassle, plus bad news for all Emira owners.

Lotus have still not gotten to the root cause of this issue. It's extraordinary; this has been a problem for the brand going all the way back to cars like the Europa, but they still haven't fixed it.

Mines going into lotus Bradford uk to have both doors replaced although the issue is with the passenger door,the annoying part is they need it for 2 weeks🤦🏻9 months to fix this

I didn't think they were building UK V6's at that time?
Did you buy one of the pre-configured cars direct from Lotus?
If so it could have been built in 2023.
I bought mine from Lotus in June and it's finished build date is in November 2023.
It would be worth phoning up Customer Services and asking them the build date of the car.
Failing that there is a toolmakers date grid on the underside of the front bonnet which shows when the bonnet was made. On mine it was the month before so a rough guide.

Mines going into lotus Bradford uk to have both doors replaced although the issue is with the passenger door,the annoying part is they need it for 2 weeks🤦🏻9 months to fix this
Hi, I have the same problem with my car, the passenger door is bubbling, I agreed with LCC to get both doors replaced and my car is currently in with the my local dealer (now for three weeks), when I checked on progress, I was told that the Lotus Warranty team will only approve getting one door replaced and I will have to wait until the bubbling appears in the drivers door before I can get the door replaced !!!.
I've escalated this with LCC but still waiting for confirmation.
Make sure the warranty team have agreed to both being replaced.

What are they going to replace them with? Same doors so the issue will pop up again in a year

Back