• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Poll for Those with Paint Blistering / Bubbling Defect

Does your Emira have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling issues, and if it does, when was it manufactured?

• My Emira does not have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues

Votes: 95 68.8%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (Prior to 01/23)

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (01/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (02/23)

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (03/23)

Votes: 9 6.5%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (04/23)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (05/23)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (06/23)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (07/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (08/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (09/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (10/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (After 10/23)

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Total voters
Having been an owner for only 4 weeks, I was not aware that paint blistering was an issue and TBH shocked that it is. Lotus have had this issue for years. Elise's have suffered this, at least since the S2 first rolled off the production line, not heard so much on the S3s. Initially it was how Lotus stored the body panels, outside in all weathers. Then other issues with how the paint process was carried out.
In the end Elise owners were sending cars back to be repaired in large volumes and Lotus did them all, although with a a lot of feet dragging and general delays due to volume. I know owners that were sending back cars that were 5/6yrs old, that Lotus still repaired
Whats amazing, is that Lotus did not learn and the Emira seems to be suffering from similar issues. Although I should not be that surprised, given the issues with the AC water ingress, is the exact same issue, that the Elise S2s had with water ingress for the heater resistor packs

Did Lotus Essex change the door or was it Chaplane's?
Just thinking ahead.
Not sure who Chaplanes are, all the work is via Lotus Essex, but they use a local body work company (I'm not sure of their name). Make sure you get confirmation from the warranty team at Lotus HQ that both doors are being replaced, not customer care.

Not sure who Chaplanes are, all the work is via Lotus Essex, but they use a local body work company (I'm not sure of their name). Make sure you get confirmation from the warranty team at Lotus HQ that both doors are being replaced, not customer care.
It should be this place in Colchester, I had some work done on a VW and it was excellent.

Having been an owner for only 4 weeks, I was not aware that paint blistering was an issue and TBH shocked that it is. Lotus have had this issue for years. Elise's have suffered this, at least since the S2 first rolled off the production line, not heard so much on the S3s. Initially it was how Lotus stored the body panels, outside in all weathers. Then other issues with how the paint process was carried out.
In the end Elise owners were sending cars back to be repaired in large volumes and Lotus did them all, although with a a lot of feet dragging and general delays due to volume. I know owners that were sending back cars that were 5/6yrs old, that Lotus still repaired
Whats amazing, is that Lotus did not learn and the Emira seems to be suffering from similar issues. Although I should not be that surprised, given the issues with the AC water ingress, is the exact same issue, that the Elise S2s had with water ingress for the heater resistor packs
That's fascinating and not in a good way.

My Emira is in this week for two replacement doors due to blistering. Manufactured in Dec 22. Lotus have agreed to replace both under warranty along with a leaking power steering pump. I am advised that the doors come from Lotus unpainted and dealership send to a local bodyshop to fit and paint. I will be without the car for 2/3 weeks and fingers crossed for an outstanding job!

My Emira is in this week for two replacement doors due to blistering. Manufactured in Dec 22. Lotus have agreed to replace both under warranty along with a leaking power steering pump. I am advised that the doors come from Lotus unpainted and dealership send to a local bodyshop to fit and paint. I will be without the car for 2/3 weeks and fingers crossed for an outstanding job!
How the hell does it take 2-3 weeks to paint 2 doors?
I would insist on something speedier and a replacement Emira whilst they had it

How the hell does it take 2-3 weeks to paint 2 doors?
I would insist on something speedier and a replacement Emira whilst they had it
Agreed! They did the pump yesterday and I can see on the tracker that the car is now with the paint shop! Sadly the courtesy car is a Vauxhall Corsa!!

Not sure who Chaplanes are, all the work is via Lotus Essex, but they use a local body work company (I'm not sure of their name). Make sure you get confirmation from the warranty team at Lotus HQ that both doors are being replaced, not customer care
Thanks for this Is there a specific email address/phone number for the warranty team, or do I have to go through LCC?

Mines was manufactured October 2022

Thanks to this thread I checked yesterday and under the driver door window there is blistering/bubbling under the paint!

My concern is.... putting on a fresh new door with a metallic colour like nimbus grey via warranty.
Wow, just noticed on my Seneca Blue the exact same thing. 6 small bubbles all in a line, only just happened as I washed the car 2 days ago and nothing, but spotted these immediately this morning.

Booked in for reversing camera replacement in October and they will check it out and see what needs doing.

Agreed! They did the pump yesterday and I can see on the tracker that the car is now with the paint shop! Sadly the courtesy car is a Vauxhall Corsa!!
Did you have to pay for the courtesy car? JCT600 wanted £50/$65/€65 for one, couldn't tell me what I'd get other than it could be the managers car, an Audi.

Did you have to pay for the courtesy car? JCT600 wanted £50/$65/€65 for one, couldn't tell me what I'd get other than it could be the managers car, an Audi.
No charge but I paid £15 to lower the insurance XS in the event of an accident in the courtesy car

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back