• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Poll for Those with Paint Blistering / Bubbling Defect

Does your Emira have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling issues, and if it does, when was it manufactured?

• My Emira does not have any Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues

Votes: 92 68.7%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (Prior to 01/23)

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (01/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (02/23)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (03/23)

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (04/23)

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (05/23)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (06/23)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (07/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (08/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (09/23)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (10/23)

• My Emira does have Paint Blistering/Bubbling Issues: Manufacture date (After 10/23)

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
My car is currently in for some AC repair work :rolleyes:. I asked the service centre have they any idea as to what vehicles are affected by the paint bubbling or any common denominators like build date etc. But unfortunately, they didn't have any conclusive theories.
They have seen cases occurring after 15 or so months as detailed on this forum.
Clearly, if Lotus knows something they aren't sharing it seems.

It would be interesting to know how many of those with paint blistering issues routinely leave their Emira parked outside so it regularly gets wet? I park mine undercover (carport) and no issues with blistering so far after 14 months of ownership. I’m wondering if just a matter of time/water exposure before all cars are affected?

Lotus Silverstone were excellent, raising a warranty claim, acknowledged its slow and will take 4 weeks approx. Both doors to be replaced.

I believe people with PPF still have this issue. I have a few issues with my Emira. When my seat finally comes to the dealership, they said they will fix everything. If it still has issues, I'll sell the car. Simple.
I had ppf on for 6 months before the blisters starting appearing.

I am not sure why people don't think lotus have not admitted it is their fault because from day 1 of reporting it I have been told they are taking ownership of the issue. I was told that it was a period of time when cars doors were delivered without having been sealed correctly on the inside which was down to the door supplier. In addition they said the new doors after a set date were altered to have a better way of draining the water so it can't sit in the bottom. They didn't say the new door design was due to the old one not being good enough but at least they were thinking of ways to reduce the chance of this happening again. I should get mine back soon because they have had it for 3 weeks now.

The only thing about the process that sucks is having to give back the loan Emira after being told I can't get the ppf refitted until the paint has been left for 4 weeks. It seems a long time when I know Maclaren add ppf at a local dealer after 7 days from paint repairs.

I had ppf on for 6 months before the blisters starting appearing.

I am not sure why people don't think lotus have not admitted it is their fault because from day 1 of reporting it I have been told they are taking ownership of the issue. I was told that it was a period of time when cars doors were delivered without having been sealed correctly on the inside which was down to the door supplier. In addition they said the new doors after a set date were altered to have a better way of draining the water so it can't sit in the bottom. They didn't say the new door design was due to the old one not being good enough but at least they were thinking of ways to reduce the chance of this happening again. I should get mine back soon because they have had it for 3 weeks now.

The only thing about the process that sucks is having to give back the loan Emira after being told I can't get the ppf refitted until the paint has been left for 4 weeks. It seems a long time when I know Maclaren add ppf at a local dealer after 7 days from paint repairs.
The big question for me is whether all cars built before a certain date have these incorrectly sealed doors, or just certain batches. Lotus must know by now which cars are affected so really they should be doing a recall rather than wait for the inevitable blisters to occur. There is also the issue of what happens if you get blisters beyond the 3 year paint warranty - presumably you are on your own facing a massive repair bill, even though the car has been a ticking time bomb from the date it was built.

According to an earlier post (July 3rd 2024) Lotus told SJones:
“Modified Doors have been fitted at production since 14-06-2023. The way to identify if there are the later spec doors is to check the primer on the inside of the doors, to see if it’s Black/Blue is correct. If it’s white it’s the old spec door.”

According to an earlier post (July 3rd 2024) Lotus told SJones:
“Modified Doors have been fitted at production since 14-06-2023. The way to identify if there are the later spec doors is to check the primer on the inside of the doors, to see if it’s Black/Blue is correct. If it’s white it’s the old spec door.”

I want to believe...

I also remain skeptical given some of these recent issues with supposedly new (post 6/14/23) cars.

Correct and I'm sure it's being blocked somewhere high up. It'd be a huge bill for them.
I am pretty sure all costs will be pushed back on the door supplier and the only cost to Lotus is reputation. If I was advising Lotus I would say do all the repairs as they are reported and then do a factory recall fix on anyone else known to have doors from that time period. You may think why not recall them all now but there is the issue with people wanting to sell and don't have a problem are stuck due to buyers knowing they on a recall list. Another reason could be if they do a full on claim for everything including reputation damage they risk the door supplier folding the company.

I don't feel sorry for Lotus having to do a door mads because they have build these cars long enough to have designed the perfect drainage but I do feel for them being sent sun-standard parts which could happen to any brand.

Lotus needs to step up and provide a longer warranty on the paint issue beyond 3 years. It's a known problem. Otherwise I suspect down the road perhaps a class action situation given the cost of the replacements to owners. I have seen this with other car makers where known issues have come up and they extend warranties to cover them down the road and even reimburse folks that have had to pay out of pocket.
Also I don't know, actually doubt, the extended warranty would cover this. Does anyone know if this is excluded from the extended warranty? May be deemed cosmetic etc.

Also I don't know, actually doubt, the extended warranty would cover this. Does anyone know if this is excluded from the extended warranty? May be deemed cosmetic etc.
Unfortunately paint is specifically excluded from the extended warranty. Would Lotus do the right thing for anyone who gets the blisters beyond 3 years? Given the pretty inept customer care and comms over the last 3 years I am deeply sceptical.

Unfortunately paint is specifically excluded from the extended warranty. Would Lotus do the right thing for anyone who gets the blisters beyond 3 years? Given the pretty inept customer care and comms over the last 3 years I am deeply sceptical.
That's unfortunate and I agree that they likely will not do the right thing. Hope I am wrong.

Back