Porsche ends combustion engine in 718 Cayman/Boxster in 2025.

Rupes

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Dang - hard to believe. Probably good news for residuals on the final production Caymans though.

Car & Driver article linked here.

Is it possible Porsche will not have a manual transmission car for sale by the end of 2025?

Most likely 911 S will have manual option for 2026 model year.

Dang - hard to believe. Probably good news for residuals on the final production Caymans though.

Car & Driver article linked here.
Porsche is killing the business… I was at the Porsche dealership in Austin Tx today.. Speaking with the service folks they replace 2 Tycan batteries a month… That’s 35-40k oach the bleeding edge of progress…

Toyota isn’t doing electric and MB is discounting theirs 20-30k

Demand isn’t there yet.

My daughter drove a cyber truck from San Francisco to Durango CO for Christmas and it added a complete day to the trip.. The cold air drained the battery at night so much we started parking the truck indoors to conserve the battery.

Is this like how the 911R was going to be the last manual 911, and then they were like jk?

Well, Lotus claims it'll be following suit in 2027, axing the Emira for some (Chinese?) EV replacement. Sad.

There's no more petrol 718 Caymans available to order down under anymore. The last production batch is being manufactured in the next few weeks and that's it. Other markets (e.g. US) might still be able to order them until mid next year, but not for long. The 911 will go hybrid shortly too, so the days of sportscars without any form of electric propulsion is numbered.

Welcome to the brave new world of eV sportscars!

From now until 2028-ish are going to be revolutionary (in a bad way) for car enthusiasts. It won't be much longer and purchasing a new ICE sports car will no longer be possible.

I’m actually rooting for Porsche to crack the electric sportscar code. I don’t think it will happen though.

New cayman doesn’t look new enough. If it isn’t drop dead gorgeous I think it fails.

modern consumers know EVs are fast so 0-60 time are not impressive anymore. It’s all about the other stuff to bring some emotion and character back to EVs.

I drive a hybrid company SUV and have a new Etron GT. I love the Etron GT it’s an incredible machine never thought I would own an electric car. It’s been solid and I have it on a 3 year lease that is up in April 2026. Thank G as they drop like a brick as values on pre-owned EV’s is like having a used Cell Phone or older laptop.

Lotus has decided to move 100% EV and many other manufacturers headed in the same direction.
One aspect we are not talking about is the human element, meaning the assembly line workers. When making EV’s you don’t need as many and eventually it will be cheaper for the manufacturers to build EV’s.
I think that and the heavy clean air regulations is driving the ICE sports cars to the grave. Another reason I ordered a Z06 it has a high-rev NA motor, even Porsche has moved the 911 GTS to a Hybrid as it’s all over YouTube. Lamborghini cancelled the V10 and Ferrari and McLaren’s V8’s are all forced induction.
Get the ICE sports cars while you can, especially NA powered because those motors are going away and will all be gone by 2030. If you do find one in 2030 it will be very expensive and difficult and more likely being pre-owned.

New 911 GTS

Last edited:
It is puzzling that Porsche is doing this at the same time as their Taycan sales have been disappointing this year.

There's no more petrol 718 Caymans available to order down under anymore. The last production batch is being manufactured in the next few weeks and that's it. Other markets (e.g. US) might still be able to order them until mid next year, but not for long. The 911 will go hybrid shortly too, so the days of sportscars without any form of electric propulsion is numbered.

Welcome to the brave new world of eV sportscars!

https://www.drive.com.au/news/porsche-718-petrol-boxster-cayman-dead/

Another reason I ordered a Z06 it has a high-rev NA motor, even Porsche has moved the 911 GTS to a Hybrid as it’s all over YouTube.
I was interested in the Z06 as well. How's the Z06 market doing right now? How long is the waitlist? I saw some of the Z06 without Z07 package were going on sale at MSRP.

I was interested in the Z06 as well. How's the Z06 market doing right now? How long is the waitlist? I saw some of the Z06 without Z07 package were going on sale at MSRP.
Mine will be at MSRP with courtesy local delivery. I been on a wait list since June of 2020 when I picked up my C8 Z51. I could have had my Z06 in late 2022 but I was building a new home & did not have the space to store it. I noticed All cars are coming down from the crazy frenzy days and you can now find a Z06 at MSRP, but it’s usually the more expensive versions. The larger dealers have deep wait list but many of these people are wanting a particular build and are waiting. If you look hard and call around you could get lucky and snag one of the lower options car at MSRP. The way I built mine, she comes in at $119.000 before taxes. My goal was to get everything I needed while keeping the cost in line to reduce any future losses. The 2024 comes with more options that did not require me to move up in price (Rear View Camera mirror as example ). The 2025 will have a price increase, all orders that get entered in GM order system after July 11th will be for a 2025 with a late September delivery. Motor wise the Z is truly hard to beat, I do wish it had the looks of my Emira, but if it did the car would probably be 219k instead of 119k.

2024 Z06: C/D TEST RESULTS

60 mph: 2.6 sec 

100 mph: 5.9 sec

130 mph: 10.3 sec

1/4-Mile: 10.5 sec @ 131 mph
150 mph:
15.2 sec 
170 mph
Roadholding, 300-ft Skidpad: 1.16 g
C/D FUEL ECONOMY Observed: 12 mpg

Last edited:
Motor wise the Z is truly hard to beat, I do wish it had the looks of my Emira, but if it did the car would probably be 219k instead of 119k.
119k is a great price! Not much more expensive than the Emira and an amazing bang for the buck.
I can't get over the styling of the C8 Corvette especially the rear end and that's why I haven't put down a deposit. :confused:

Is the Taycan a sales flop, though? I know Porsche would have like to sell more of them, but the sales numbers are pretty strong compared to the rest of their line up. It's still a compelling car, just priced too high. I drove one for a couple of hours and the technology just seems lacking compared to what I'm familiar with in the Tesla. I couldn't make heads or tails on even the basics of how much range I have left given the current trip. The menu system and navigation looks like something designed in the 2010s. Electric car buyers want tech - polished well working tech with an UI and fluidity of operation that goes head to head with Apple and Google. Porsche needs to get this right if they expect to take serious market share from prospective EV buyers.

119k is a great price! Not much more expensive than the Emira and an amazing bang for the buck.
I can't get over the styling of the C8 Corvette especially the rear end and that's why I haven't put down a deposit. :confused:
The rear is uglier on the C8 Z51 compared to the wider Z06 rear which IMO looks a little better without the Z07 package high wing. Interesting video just hit 5 hours ago, like I mentioned I would never compare these two cars. Plus the convertible Z06 in this video is slower and heavier than the reg z06.

My Z06 will be the same but with Red Calipers

Attachments

• IMG_7191.jpeg
    IMG_7191.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Is the Taycan a sales flop, though? I know Porsche would have like to sell more of them, but the sales numbers are pretty strong compared to the rest of their line up. It's still a compelling car, just priced too high. I drove one for a couple of hours and the technology just seems lacking compared to what I'm familiar with in the Tesla. I couldn't make heads or tails on even the basics of how much range I have left given the current trip. The menu system and navigation looks like something designed in the 2010s. Electric car buyers want tech - polished well working tech with an UI and fluidity of operation that goes head to head with Apple and Google. Porsche needs to get this right if they expect to take serious market share from prospective EV buyers.
Nova is right, the Taycan has sold nearly 2 to 1 vs the Panemera for the past 3 full years. Not a runaway sales champion, but also far from a total dud.

As appealing as the 718 is to people on a Lotus Emira forum, it's the SUVs that have been printing the money for Porsche for years. They have by far the highest sales and more importantly great margins on a per unit basis. From a short term risk perspective making the 718 all electric isn't that big of deal in that it only sells roughly 3K-4K units per year today. Arguably the Macan going all electric is the larger gamble as it still sells over 20K to 25K units per year.

I wonder though if long term the lack of a relatively affordable manual/ICE will erode the emotional connections with the brand?

The rear is uglier on the C8 Z51 compared to the wider Z06 rear which IMO looks a little better without the Z07 package high wing. Interesting video just hit 5 hours ago, like I mentioned I would never compare these two cars. Plus the convertible Z06 in this video is slower and heavier than the reg z06.

My Z06 will be the same but with Red Calipers
Nice review, the Emira held its own subjectively (not so much quantifiably with lap / drag times) and can be had for a significant savings. The vette design is just not aging well to me, and that's enough for me to not get one despite the amazing performance.