• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Race to the first i4

Like many on this forum, my i4 has also been delayed. My build was to have started in August, which then changed to October, then all quiet. So I chatted to customer services today on 'what is causing the delays to the i4', the reply was 'they have not been given the reasons and have no information', 'but there is to be a mass communication via email to all i4 customers soon'.
I suppose that's a bit if information we all will be receiving, I'm not holding my breath.

Like many on this forum, my i4 has also been delayed. My build was to have started in August, which then changed to October, then all quiet. So I chatted to customer services today on 'what is causing the delays to the i4', the reply was 'they have not been given the reasons and have no information', 'but there is to be a mass communication via email to all i4 customers soon'.
I suppose that's a bit if information we all will be receiving, I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks for the update. I hope that mass communication is just going to be another set of reasons for the delays and not something more serious!

I would strongly encourage the first few who get their checkout email for an i4 (in UK) to push back and get absolute clarification of of the service requirements/maintenance schedule and PAYG costs, so we all know where we stand on this matter before getting ripped off. The current costs simply do not add up when Mercedes AMG can charge nearly half the amount!

I've just had the same conversation with CS. I think they are as frustrated with Lotus as we all are. They have no info just vague ' It should be this year' , from LOTUS . This is regarding i4. I am on the verge of cancelling. I was so excited on placing a deposit in July 21 but to say its all wearing a bit thin is an understatement! I am 70 years old, and who knows how much time I've left ( lots hopefully) My wife would be over the moon if I cancelled (she doesn't like cars unfortunately! ) I just wanted a nice car for a year or two .

I'm not overly bothered by a production delay at the moment. Although my car should be in build this month (going by the most recent update) I was originally given a Q1 2024 timescale so anything before then is a bit of a bonus in my mind, it's not as if it's a delay over summer (yet......).

I think my mindset with my I4 is that it's coming soon™, which helps tempers my expectations somewhat!

As defined by urban dictionary, for those unaware:
soon™
Describes something that we are told is coming soon (game updates, TV shows, etc.) but we have heard it enough times to know better. Whoever is saying x event will occur soon is considered to own the trademark on the word because they have used it so many times.

I'm in a similar position - happy to wait for an early spring delivery if there are delays. Especially if there's a chance that some of the issues are addressed. What's your stance on test drives? Are you happy to proceed to checkout without driving? I tested the V6 earlier this year and I was happy with most aspects but some of the review comments around the DCT operation has got me nervous. I'd want to know how it behaves myself.

Also, did you see the thread about the higher servicing costs? No one has been able to get any clarity on PAYG costs and reasons for the big discrepancy with the V6 3 year pack.
Think I’d take a punt and take the car without a test drive, obviously prefer one prior to delivery but think it will be mega, at the cheaper price you could always get out of it with very minimal loss if at all if you did’t like it but think you’d be reluctant, what else do you buy!! With regards service I’d be reluctant to spend £2500 ish on a 3 year plan just to get a smamp in the book as I’m planning on keeping the car for a long time and will just service it myself (I own a garage so helps I suppose) £50 on good quality Shell oil and other serviceable items all available ffrom Euro car parts! 😀

Thanks 0pirates0 for uploading the video(s) of your i4 test drive. Again very useful. A pity you had to drive in heavy rain, but this at least confirms that the Cup 2s are capable of performing as long as the driver is careful and go relatively slow (and no “track mode” 👀😅).

A couple of questions again:

(1) Does your personal impressions from your test drive make you stay with your order and go through with your purchase? (I guess this also includes your impressions from what you have heard about other QC problems in China and the misfortunes of other Emira i4 owners - including the “destroyed by water” ECU saga)? I am saying this on the background that I am also staying put with my order despite of all bad rumors and the endless wait for i4 delivery. I am also very accustomed to turbocharged cars; so I am not “scared” by hearing about some lag and also typical (sucking?) sounds that a turbo engine will produce. I am mostly worried about the 8G-DCT gearbox set-up and possibly AMG’s unwillingness to let Lotus adjust it further.

(2) When did you first order your Emira i4 (I assume this is also a “First Edition”, perhaps with a Chinese market twist? You seem to indicate that you may have made your final decision to buy (or to go ahead) at the time of this test-drive, and I believe you said that you were told that your car will be delivered to you within the end of this year 2023. Did I get all of this right?

Thanks 🙏 once more for all your useful feedback. I really appreciate it, and I believe your experiences are helpful for everyone here on our Forum.
I have been quite busy these days. I will answer these questions short:
1. I will stay with my order. There's no competitor for this appearance in China at the same price. "air sucking" voice is just a exaggerated description of the wind going through the wind tunnel. ECU felt less comfortable comparing with my daily vehicle (AITO M7, a Chinese made electrical SUV, a lot better than Tesla, tbh, Tesla is so overpriced outside of China)
2. August 2021, then confirmed(and paid the second deposit) again in Dec. 2021. I was told to pick up in early Nov.
I will update after I get back to China and pick up my new toy.

I have been quite busy these days. I will answer these questions short:
1. I will stay with my order. There's no competitor for this appearance in China at the same price. "air sucking" voice is just a exaggerated description of the wind going through the wind tunnel. ECU felt less comfortable comparing with my daily vehicle (AITO M7, a Chinese made electrical SUV, a lot better than Tesla, tbh, Tesla is so overpriced outside of China)
2. August 2021, then confirmed(and paid the second deposit) again in Dec. 2021. I was told to pick up in early Nov.
I will update after I get back to China and pick up my new toy.

Thanks for taking the time to answering my questions 0pirates0. I really appreciate it. It does look like the i4 production at Hethel, UK has been further delayed for unknown reasons. This obviously also means that deliveries gets pushed out. But maybe the Chinese owner (Geely) has the power to strong-arm expedient deliveries? At least I hope the delays means that QC issues and other issues pointed out by the Lotus-chosen UK and USA reviewers have led Lotus Cars to come up with "fixes". I am staying put in line for my First Edition i4 as well, and I have also made all prepayments required, and I believe that my price is locked in to what it used to be two price increases ago ;-)

I remain curious to hear more about YOUR EMIRA adventure, and I will inform you about my own.

I suspect the UK delays are partly because they have been diverting more i4 output to China.

I suspect the UK delays are partly because they have been diverting more i4 output to China.
At this point ANY information helps. Thank you TomE❣️😱😇 (Maybe there is a «mule» lurking somewhere⁉️)

In line with what a few are finding, we do have a delay on UKi4's. Having been told recently manufacture, in August, September, and most recently October, after talking to CS via chat just now, they are saying " we don't know"
This year is "likely" but they don't seem to know, or wont say the reason for yet another delay.
I genuinely don't know how they could get this so wrong so often. I did think, like others I was very nearly there.

In line with what a few are finding, we do have a delay on UKi4's. Having been told recently manufacture, in August, September, and most recently October, after talking to CS via chat just now, they are saying " we don't know"
This year is "likely" but they don't seem to know, or wont say the reason for yet another delay.
I genuinely don't know how they could get this so wrong so often. I did think, like others I was very nearly there.

It's called death by a thousand cuts :(

I have ZERO expectations on when I will see my i4 delivery in Los Angeles, but I sure hope Lotus can get their act together to have some UK i4's moving and included in the Driver's Academy by April 2024 when I'm scheduled to be there! I have no interest in doing their DA with the V6.

This whole experience is surreal and if we all actually get our cars I'm going to miss visiting this forum 10x a day to hear about the latest speculation!

I have ZERO expectations on when I will see my i4 delivery in Los Angeles, but I sure hope Lotus can get their act together to have some UK i4's moving and included in the Driver's Academy by April 2024 when I'm scheduled to be there! I have no interest in doing their DA with the V6.

This whole experience is surreal and if we all actually get our cars I'm going to miss visiting this forum 10x a day to hear about the latest speculation!
Just received this after I emailed Matt Windley last Friday, which he just referred on to Cs! Totally totally pissed off. Was finally told September, then October and now this. What a company.
Looking around now for alternatives!
Hello Stuart,

I hope you’re well. Apologies for the delay in response, it’s very busy right now.

Unfortunately, the turbocharged edition is facing further delays – production has not started yet.

Sadly, this is as much information I have to hand right now. We are working on creating communication about these delays and sending them out in the upcoming weeks.

I do apologise for the disappointing news this morning.

Kind regards,

SHARON KAUR

production has not started yet
I was in the retail store in London yesterday and the sales person there told me he had been to the Hethel factory last week where he saw production lines for the V6 AND the i4. Strange...

Just received this after I emailed Matt Windley last Friday, which he just referred on to Cs! Totally totally pissed off. Was finally told September, then October and now this. What a company.
Hello Stuart,

I hope you’re well. Apologies for the delay in response, it’s very busy right now.

Unfortunately, the turbocharged edition is facing further delays – production has not started yet.

Sadly, this is as much information I have to hand right now. We are working on creating communication about these delays and sending them out in the upcoming weeks.

Kind regards,

SHARON KAUR

Production not started?????

Are the China cars scotch mist?

This whole lotus experience is a “Charlie foxtrot”!!! I hope lotus is reading these. Between the delays, price increases, and having a further detuned engine from the Chinese version. This has not been a good experience for a first time US lotus customer.

Hello Stuart,

Kind regards,

SHARON KAUR
I wonder if these delays are specific to only UK bound i4s or globally ex-China?

Hello Stuart,

Kind regards,

SHARON KAUR

Hi Stuart/Baldyash

Appreciate that you are passing on your information from Lotus CS, however unfortunate it is. It is certainly not unexpected.

I have already expressed that I think now this is the time when MD/CEO Matt Windle should make one of his memorable appearances via video and confess, true “Catholic style”, to what are the true reasons why the 4-CYLINDER (i4) version of the EMIRA is being perpetually delayed. We also want to hear of a solid plan forward to deliver the world-wide version (not just the China version) that have a good chance to stay on schedule.

However, even though Matt is a very likeable and hardworking person; I think the problem is that he is in a position of being overruled by the real owners of Lotus; and it is very clear that GROUP LOTUS or LOTUS TECH or the various names they now juggle for various purposes, have rather different priorities.

The 4-CYLINDER (i4) model probably have a really small importance (priority) in their grander scheme. This is despite that the 4-CYLINDER (with AMG engine and gearbox) actually was the original goal for the new EMIRA design, while the V6 version was adopted as an additional version (since it is so close in design and execution to the previous Evora). It could even be that some higher up boss in the Lotus Group is not very happy about the negative image the 4-CYLINDER (i4) got through a series of reviews back in August. It is educational to read the Matt Farah review in Road & Track, because it tells everything about what is compromised in this version.

It is really contradictory to see that it is the 4-CYLINDER that have caught on in China, and that it is the favored model there. However, even this may not mean much in the Lotus Group owners’ “grand scheme” which is all about high priced luxury, fancy (and heavy as h….) electric cars. (I have some hope for the Type 135 Hethel designed and manufactured electric sportscar.)

I personally do hope the 4-CYLINDER (i4) really gets through its extremely difficult birth, and that we will see it around the world (and not only China). I have my firm order in place since day one; and my price is locked to a lower level two price increases ago. I do hope the worst flaws, especially regarding the DCT gearbox programming, get improved. I do want the world-wide (global) version to see the light of day, and I want to enjoy driving it (before I get too old 👀😱😇)

Greetings from Stig/Tokion

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the turbocharged edition is facing further delays – production has not started yet
I don't think I've ever felt so helpless as a buyer. There is literally only one card to play and that's to cancel. Besides that we are just stuck in limbo and at their mercy. I had previously assumed they were prioritising cars for China but now I'm worried that the entire production has been halted because of something more serious. If they just told us what's happening at least that would be something. It's hard not to fill the void with doomsday scenarios!