• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Race to the first i4

Following your post I also emailed Lotus CC yesterday and got a phone call this morning with the script. I took the opportunity to release my feelings on the matter of Lotus customer care and the whole sordid journey (politely of course) and feel a little better for that. CC did claim they had reorganised the cc process and team and things should improve (we might have heard this before) and we woudl get more info on the portal. He did mention the portal might not have the details depending on which link was used and there should be a pre Nov link.

I just logged in and I have a VIN number. Does that mean my car is built and in a carpark somewhere waiting for type approval or something?
I don’t see a VIN o my order, so perhaps you can start to get excited!

I still have an i4 order showing in "My Lotus" that I cancelled in October...... :ROFLMAO:

Following your post I also emailed Lotus CC yesterday and got a phone call this morning with the script. I took the opportunity to release my feelings on the matter of Lotus customer care and the whole sordid journey (politely of course) and feel a little better for that. CC did claim they had reorganised the cc process and team and things should improve (we might have heard this before) and we woudl get more info on the portal. He did mention the portal might not have the details depending on which link was used and there should be a pre Nov link.

I just logged in and I have a VIN number. Does that mean my car is built and in a carpark somewhere waiting for type approval or something?
Just checked and no VIN yet for me. Very late July initial deposit. Your car might well be in build, I'm sure I read somewhere that a VIN was created only when physically building the car?

I don’t see a VIN o my order, so perhaps you can start to get excited!

No way, too much disapointment endured already. I have an appointment at Thorney Motorsport in Jan to test drive some McLarens, very very close to bailing.

Just checked and no VIN yet for me. Very late July initial deposit. Your car might well be in build, I'm sure I read somewhere that a VIN was created only when physically building the car?

My reservatiion was 8th July, supposedly in the first 50 orders but how many of those are still hanging on is uncertain.

My reservatiion was 8th July, supposedly in the first 50 orders but how many of those are still hanging on is uncertain.
I think when I last spoke to someone, they said I was in the first 75 or 80, so that would work out roughly. As you say though, a good few might have given up by now. Like you, I'm looking at alternatives too.

I thought I might be in the top 50/75/80 by now. Judging by the forum, it feels like there's only a handful of us left!

I’ve got a VIN and placed 5k deposit. Was meant to be delivered Oct/nov but I’ve just been in touch with “ customer service” and they have a pre prepared statement that now says “before summer 2024” due to supply issues and type approval issues. As a thankyou for being so patient that are holding a summer event at the factory next year with Jenson Button (woo hoo).
I can’t express how disappointing this whole process has been. I think I’m going to cash in the deposit and get a 911…..

My reservation was 3rd June, I got an email from Lotus "locking in" my order on 6th July. At that time they quoted Q2 2024 for a build date. I confirmed with deposit on 1st August. They then emailed me on 5th September telling me my car was being built in December 2023. To be honest, I was always fine with the Q2 2024 date, so I've just sat tight. I haven't received any communications from Lotus about delays. Would be nice to get the car earlier than expected, but even if I get it in May or June next year, I'll be happy. Having sat through 3 price rises and an initial 9-12 months which turned into 18-24 months (or beyond) on a (now cancelled) Range Rover order, this is mild in comparison (For me at least, not sadly for others on this forum who have waited for a very long time..)

I cancelled my order a few weeks back. Got a telephone call from Lotus retentions dept today trying to keep me as a customer. They asked why I cancelled and said many factors... Delays after delays and price increases....

They offered me a stock car.... I said if I wanted a V6 I would have been driving it for nearly a year.

Don't have much faith in a company who doesn't even know what the customer ordered, which was a i4 FE in July 2021.

Sales must be all time low for the UK, which I have to say is not just for Lotus but the whole car industry over here.

I’ve got a VIN and placed 5k deposit. Was meant to be delivered Oct/nov but I’ve just been in touch with “ customer service” and they have a pre prepared statement that now says “before summer 2024” due to supply issues and type approval issues. As a thankyou for being so patient that are holding a summer event at the factory next year with Jenson Button (woo hoo).
I can’t express how disappointing this whole process has been. I think I’m going to cash in the deposit and get a 911…..
Don't blame you at all. I've had a deposit at Porsche since spring 2021 for a 992.2. was offered a slot for 992.1 in May 2023 but politely declined and said I am waiting for the 992.2 version, which was noted at time of placing the deposit.

For me it's the last car on my bucket list... Can't wait!

I've got a VIN against my order, I noticed it on there a fair while back but can't remember exactly when it went up. I'm sure I remember being told that my car was expected to enter production before the end of this year after the Oct 23 timeline had been missed whilst simultaneously spotting the VIN on the system, but I could very well be remembering incorrectly.

Three possibilities come to mind (though I don't see the second one being very likely):
  1. VIN assigned expecting imminent production that was then delayed before it started.
  2. VIN assigned, car build started then paused due to the delay.
  3. VIN assigned, car built, sat awaiting the type approval to be sorted.
If the first one I could see the VIN being subject to change, the VIN given looks to match the decoder sent to the NHTSA, and if UK spec cars follow the same format, my assigned VIN has a 'P' in the model year position which would be related to a MY23 car, which would seem unusual for one that is now going to be sold to mid 24.

Timelines for my order: reserved Sept 21, confirmed May 23, original estimate Q1 24, moved forward to Oct 23 then the delay.

Don't blame you at all. I've had a deposit at Porsche since spring 2021 for a 992.2. was offered a slot for 992.1 in May 2023 but politely declined and said I am waiting for the 992.2 version, which was noted at time of placing the deposit.

For me it's the last car on my bucket list... Can't wait!
Just curious, why have you been waiting for the 992.2? I still have my Lotus deposit, but am awfully close to getting a 992 instead after 2.5 years and a delay until “sometime in 2025”.

Just curious, why have you been waiting for the 992.2? I still have my Lotus deposit, but am awfully close to getting a 992 instead after 2.5 years and a delay until “sometime in 2025”.
I'm not sure where you are based but in the UK you can't just walk in and buy a brand new 992 from stock. Order times were crazy and we're just talking Carrera S and not a GT3.

I got a call this May saying that a production slot was available but it was for the current 992.1.

I specifically want the 992.2 (not yet released) so I will hang on until that is on sale. Hopefully will be towards the end of 2024.

Due to the economic climate in the UK, car sales are taking a big hit. I bought a GR86 in August as my track day car and Toyota were saying this was the last chance and you could only get it directly from Toyota UK. Currently they still have so much stock and ended up letting the dealer network sell them at a discount, which has pissed off a lot of owners who paid full Retail price.

I'm not sure where you are based but in the UK you can't just walk in and buy a brand new 992 from stock. Order times were crazy and we're just talking Carrera S and not a GT3.

I got a call this May saying that a production slot was available but it was for the current 992.1.

I specifically want the 992.2 (not yet released) so I will hang on until that is on sale. Hopefully will be towards the end of 2024.

Due to the economic climate in the UK, car sales are taking a big hit. I bought a GR86 in August as my track day car and Toyota were saying this was the last chance and you could only get it directly from Toyota UK. Currently they still have so much stock and ended up letting the dealer network sell them at a discount, which has pissed off a lot of owners who paid full Retail price.
Thanks for your response. I’m based in the US. You can buy a base 992 easily, they’re just expensive. Before the Emira the plan was always a 911. I’m curious why you’re holding out for a 992.2 specifically. I’m not sure what the mid cycle update will include, so I’m curious. Especially as I’m about a buy a 992.1 within the month.

Thanks for your response. I’m based in the US. You can buy a base 992 easily, they’re just expensive. Before the Emira the plan was always a 911. I’m curious why you’re holding out for a 992.2 specifically. I’m not sure what the mid cycle update will include, so I’m curious. Especially as I’m about a buy a 992.1 within the month.
The 992.1 has been out for a while. Porsche are actually late with their usual .2 schedule release.

No specific reason for wanting a .2, but in my opinion, no point buying a .1 when the .2 is imminent. Spy shots are already on the internet.

It would be great if they release a downtuned 4.0 NA and although less power than a FI 3.0, it's the engine I would go for.

Just out of curiosity.

If you've been given a vin, does it have a car behind it? I really hope it's true, at least that means they're making something.

The other option is that they won't start until summer at the earliest, and that in lotus language is more delays.

Just out of curiosity.

If you've been given a vin, does it have a car behind it? I really hope it's true, at least that means they're making something.

The other option is that they won't start until summer at the earliest, and that in lotus language is more delays.

That is the 6 million dollar question isnt it. The truth is I don't know really and not sure how much I care any more, this process has taken its toll and I am reluctant to get my hopes up. My wife just looks at me and says "it's never going to happen" and she has been saying this for a while. I asked her if she wanted to come along to test drive other cars and she answered, why have you waited so long to do that!

My wife just looks at me and says "it's never going to happen"
LOL - glad it's not just me. Every time I tell my wife about another delay, she asks me if I'm ready to cancel it now. It's almost like she doesn't want me to have an expensive, impractical, (potentially) unreliable, showy sports car :ROFLMAO: