Red or Yellow Calipers?

@TomE what wheels are those? I’d much rather those in brushed silver on my Emira…
They're the 17" wheels on the Exige V6 Cup, not sure if they come in correct sizes for the Emira:

Amazon. For the wheels, search 60mm centre caps. Also search 60mm Lotus black stickers.
For the bonnet/hood, it's 55mm.
At least it is on the Evora.
Probably best to measure on the Emira.
I think the nose badge is larger on the Emira

This is from the blue car in China. The logo and caliper yellow match, but the shadowing on the shape of the caliper gives the impression they're slightly different, but they aren't.

1400x0_1_q95_autohomecar__ChwFkmGLBIqAPNJzACCcqAWnco4214.jpg

This is from the blue car in China. The logo and caliper yellow match, but the shadowing on the shape of the caliper gives the impression they're slightly different, but they aren't.

View attachment 2191
Lotus confirmed there are four different yellows for wheel centre and nose badge, calipers, Hethel Yellow paint and interior yellow stitching. One of the reasons I've not gone for the yellow calipers.

Lotus confirmed there are four different yellows for wheel centre and nose badge, calipers, Hethel Yellow paint and interior yellow stitching. One of the reasons I've not gone for the yellow calipers.
It looks like they've used the original yellow that was on Jim Clark's car for the new company logo, which is fine, but it would be a bit passive to paint a whole car in that color. It's not a very strong yellow. Hethel yellow is a nice, rich, vibrant color. I wish they'd use that for the calipers, and I could see that working in the interior for yellow stitching.

Jim Clark.jpeg

Judging by the photograph taken during our viewing (below), 3 of the 4 yellows referred to above have been captured, which is the reason, having opted for Hethel Yellow, I too didn't spec yellow calipers or interior stitching.
Lotus Emira - Hethel Yellow vs Brake Caliper vs Lotus Badge.jpg

Judging by the photograph taken during our viewing (below), 3 of the 4 yellows referred to above have been captured, which is the reason, having opted for Hethel Yellow, I too didn't spec yellow calipers or interior stitching.
View attachment 2198
That's the original studio model car though. The blue Chinese car shows a better match for the caliper, yet wheels that are close to the studio model. The Chinese Hethel car in that showroom, shows different diamond cut wheels from the blue car, with blacker black area and high gloss clear over all of it. So it looks like they're still making changes as they go along. I expect the high gloss wheels are closer to final.

That's the original studio model car though. The blue Chinese car shows a better match for the caliper, yet wheels that are close to the studio model. The Chinese Hethel car in that showroom, shows different diamond cut wheels from the blue car, with blacker black area and high gloss clear over all of it. So it looks like they're still making changes as they go along. I expect the high gloss wheels are closer to final.
That is true, and more of a reason why we need to see the final version(s) in real life to decide for ourselves.

Don't read too much into the yellow Chinese car, it's also a show car and not final production specs. The wheels on the car also differ from the wheel samples on the wall in the showroom.

The confusion over what exactly is the wheel design, colour and finish for the three options is on my list of questions submitted to Lotus, so hopefully will get clarified in early January.

Don't read too much into the yellow Chinese car, it's also a show car and not final production specs. The wheels on the car also differ from the wheel samples on the wall in the showroom.

The confusion over what exactly is the wheel design, colour and finish for the three options is on my list of questions submitted to Lotus, so hopefully will get clarified in early January.
Fingers crossed 🤞 Would love all the speculation to be put to rest so that we can all make informed decisions about our purchases

Your pictures look like they're the black design. The original photos of the yellow Shanghai car show it with diamond cut wheels. The wheels on the car differ from the wheel samples on the showroom wall, and differ from the UK Seneca Blue show car. The differences are in the colour for the darker sections (lighter/darker matte grey or gloss black) and the finish for the lighter sections (machined or gloss).

Shanghai yellow car:
Shanghai car.jpg

Shanghai showroom wall:
Shanghai wheels diamond.jpeg

UK Seneca Blue show car:
IMG_7632 BandC wheel.jpg

Some images have also been shown of the black wheels with a matte finish and a gloss finish, so that's not clear either.

Your pictures look like they're the black design. The original photos of the yellow Shanghai car show it with diamond cut wheels. The wheels on the car differ from the wheel samples on the showroom wall, and differ from the UK Seneca Blue show car. The differences are in the colour for the darker sections (lighter/darker matte grey or gloss black) and the finish for the lighter sections (machined or gloss).

Shanghai yellow car:
View attachment 2210

Shanghai showroom wall:
View attachment 2211

UK Seneca Blue show car:
View attachment 2209

Some images have also been shown of the black wheels with a matte finish and a gloss finish, so that's not clear either.
TomE would you go with the gloss finish if it turns out that is the final spec on the 2 tone wheels?
Im not sure I would and this bothers me as after having a deposit down for nearly 6 months its still unclear.

I believe the design intention is an engineered surface for the lighter section, not gloss. I have some inside info I can't share that supports that view. So I think the showroom wall example is wrong and it'll be closer to the first picture.

The UK show car had one-off wheels hand made and painted, so I think the grey on that isn't the final colour and the engineered surface is a bit too "machined". I think that surface will look more like the lighter sections on my Evora diamond cuts:
Evora DCW.jpeg

Like you, I'd be less keen on the diamond cut wheels if they're gloss. I think my decision would then depend on whether the all black wheels are gloss or matte. But I'm fairly confident we'll be getting diamond cuts that are matte on both surfaces.

I believe the design intention is an engineered surface for the lighter section, not gloss. I have some inside info I can't share that supports that view. So I think the showroom wall example is wrong and it'll be closer to the first picture.

The UK show car had one-off wheels hand made and painted, so I think the grey on that isn't the final colour and the engineered surface is a bit too "machined". I think that surface will look more like the lighter sections on my Evora diamond cuts:
View attachment 2212

Like you, I'd be less keen on the diamond cut wheels if they're gloss. I think my decision would then depend on whether the all black wheels are gloss or matte. But I'm fairly confident we'll be getting diamond cuts that are matte on both surfaces.
The wheel design to go for is one thing I am still undecided on, especially with the variations seen to date.

The Diamond Cut wheels on your Evora look great. How have they held up over the years? Did you have to have them refurbed? How many times is one able to get them 'cut' before they become an impossibility?

The wheel design to go for is one thing I am still undecided on, especially with the variations seen to date.

The Diamond Cut wheels on your Evora look great. How have they held up over the years? Did you have to have them refurbed? How many times is one able to get them 'cut' before they become an impossibility?
One of the wheels started to get some marking after about 4-5 years, where it looked like some small surface damage had allowed water in under the surface and then caused them to blister. This then got worse over time. It mostly started at the spoke edge, so may have been a manufacturing issue, as it only affected one wheel. You can see the effect mid spoke at 10, 11, 12 and 1 o'clock on this - these are at 8 years old. The marks at 4 (spoke), 6 and 7 o'clock (rim) are from clipping a curb.

Evora IMG_2069 close up rear.JPG

In contrast this is the front wheel at the same age (and the other 2 wheels were similar), with three tiny marks on the rim at 12, 5 and 6:

Evora IMG_2069 close up front.JPG

The picture in the previous post is from last year just after I had all 4 refurbished, after I curbed the two on the other side :( They can be done 3-4 times. These days the manufacturing process (and refurb process) means they should last longer now than the Evora 2011 ones.

One of the wheels started to get some marking after about 4-5 years, where it looked like some small surface damage had allowed water in under the surface and then caused them to blister. This then got worse over time. It mostly started at the spoke edge, so may have been a manufacturing issue, as it only affected one wheel. You can see the effect mid spoke at 10, 11, 12 and 1 o'clock on this - these are at 8 years old. The marks at 4 (spoke), 6 and 7 o'clock (rim) are from clipping a curb.

View attachment 2214

In contrast this is the front wheel at the same age (and the other 2 wheels were similar), with three tiny marks on the rim at 12, 5 and 6:

View attachment 2213

The picture in the previous post is from last year just after I had all 4 refurbished, after I curbed the two on the other side :( They can be done 3-4 times. These days the manufacturing process (and refurb process) means they should last longer now than the Evora 2011 ones.
Thanks for that. (y)

Looks like the wheels on your Evora have held up fairly well.

Indeed, very little can be done but refurbish them if one happens to curb one or more wheels.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back