• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Securing Frunk

Biggles of Norwich

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Curiosity got the better of me, and I had an eye on opening the front access panel (or Frunk cover) when at car shows (to answer the inevitable questions!). I got it open no bother following the simple instructions in the hand book, but it mentions a slotted plate, which the support stay should fit into. This plate isn't there on my car. Has anyone else had their access panel open and have you got the slotted plate? The metal plate you can see in the second image below is the securing bracket, there's no way the stay would fit into that.
IMG20240819142011.jpg
IMG20240819142014.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a question? There's a bar that holds it up if that's what you're asking.

Is the slotted plate needed? Can you close the hood again?
Yes, it is needed to keep the panel open, a gust of wind or a nudge from a shoulder would cause the panel to shut, or worst case go forward and cause damage. Every car has a similar set up, or hydraulic struts to secure the hood/bonnet open.

Yes, it is needed to keep the panel open, a gust of wind or a nudge from a shoulder would cause the panel to shut, or worst case go forward and cause damage. Every car has a similar set up, or hydraulic struts to secure the hood/bonnet open.

Considering they only want Lotus to work on this area, could have been removed and is now only available to the Lotus service teams.

Considering they only want Lotus to work on this area, could have been removed and is now only available to the Lotus service teams.
Well, the instructions on how to open it are in the handbook, so the implication is that it's not for Lotus only. Anyhow, anyone working in that area (without removing the access panel) would want it to be secure.

So, I assume the larger painted hole, below the securing bracket, is not the location for securing the stay? I wouldn't think is, but figured I would ask - that also assumes there is some sort of rubberized dip on the end of the stay. However, it really doesn't seem to fit the description of a "slotted plate", also assume no diagram in the manual?

These were the best location images I could find - looks like it may be right below the rubber loop, but neither look like there is a "slotted plate" unless its slotted on the underside.

Screen Shot 2024-08-19 at 10.47.29 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2024-08-19 at 10.46.29 AM.jpeg

So, I assume the larger painted hole, below the securing bracket, is not the location for securing the stay? I wouldn't think is, but figured I would ask - that also assumes there is some sort of rubberized dip on the end of the stay. However, it really doesn't seem to fit the description of a "slotted plate", also assume no diagram in the manual?
No, you are right, the stay wont even go in there, but it wouldn't secure it anyway. The picture in the manual isn't clear enough, but as it refers to a slotted plate, that should be easy enough to spot. I am assuming that it has been missed off my panel, so was interested to hear if others cars were the same or theirs had the slotted plate.

These were the best location images I could find - looks like it may be right below the rubber loop, but neither look like there is a "slotted plate" unless its slotted on the underside.

View attachment 50032

View attachment 50033
Thats useful, looks like it should be on the underside of the bulge below the rubber seal. I may have another look to see if I've just missed it.

Thats useful, looks like it should be on the underside of the bulge below the rubber seal. I may have another look to see if I've just missed it.
Looks like @Nick Sticks gave you a better picture, but yeah, it may just not be readily visible if its on the underside of that bulge.

There is a question in my post - "have you got the slotted plate?". I have the bar (or stay) but nothing to secure it into.

That wasn't there when I commented, neither were the pictures. Looks like you've got it sorted now.

I wouldn't trust it open in a breeze though. It's held pretty vertically and there's nothing to keep it from tipping forward off the bar and then falling closed.

That wasn't there when I commented, neither were the pictures. Looks like you've got it sorted now.

I wouldn't trust it open in a breeze though. It's held pretty vertically and there's nothing to keep it from tipping forward off the bar and then falling closed.
Oh sorry about the half post - a case of the touch screen blues. I agree, but it might be OK if the bar latches securely into the slotted plate. Don't think I'd walk away from it even then!

The bar doesn't latch.. it just sticks up into the hole. I've had it up. I wouldn't trust it.

YMMV

Thanks for all the replies so far, I've revisited the access panel and now see what I missed. There isn't a slotted plate as such, just a slot in the composite panel, which you can't see as it is cut into the underneath of part of the access panel frame . The metal stay does feed into it, but a gust of wind would easily detach the stay and the access panel would slam down. The hinges are pretty robust and should stop the panel from moving forward.
I've attached a couple of pictures which others might find helpful.

IMG20240820112708.jpg
IMG20240820112924.jpg

Yea, I wouldn't trust this outdoors. I was very nervous putting the prop in place the first time I had the hood open. I had mental images of this metal stick poking through the composite panel and me doing a James May impression.