• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Shift Knob Replacement

Thanks for the info, I'm afraid of it sitting high.

This is the one I like: https://raceseng.com/products/nitro-m12x1-5mm-adapter-6-speed-reverse-left-up?variant=39762367086694
But if the knob can't be installed without the collar that it comes with it looks like it'll sit too high as well.
I have a similar one on my FRS that I’m planning to swap over. It clears the stock plastic reverse lockout just fine. I didn’t want to buy their lockout as it’s metal and defeats the purpose of getting rid of the metal shift knob.

Where are these for sale, please? I am thinking a wooden knob would complement the tan interior quite well if on the right tone of wood.

Same thoughts here

I have a similar one on my FRS that I’m planning to swap over. It clears the stock plastic reverse lockout just fine. I didn’t want to buy their lockout as it’s metal and defeats the purpose of getting rid of the metal shift knob.
Hi Slotus,
Were you able to install your raceseng shift knob? I'd like to also install one of their shift knobs as I'm a fan of their products, but I'm curious if the additional adapter that their knobs require increases significantly the height over the OEM knob. Can you let me know?
Thanks

Where are these for sale, please? I am thinking a wooden knob would complement the tan interior quite well if on the right tone of wood.
I don't know if these are still available anywhere. I found them when looking for wooden shift knobs for an Evora, but haven't found them for sale anywhere.

Hi Slotus,
Were you able to install your raceseng shift knob? I'd like to also install one of their shift knobs as I'm a fan of their products, but I'm curious if the additional adapter that their knobs require increases significantly the height over the OEM knob. Can you let me know?
Thanks
I haven’t received my car yet, but the adapter doesn’t add much height unless you want it to (it’s adjustable) maybe half an inch at the lowest setting.

Slightly off topic, has anyone found a way to smooth the engraving without marring the finish?

Slightly off topic, has anyone found a way to smooth the engraving without marring the finish?

I'm using cotton. It takes a while, but is strong enough to rip off the burrs and won't damage the finish too much.
240726-ShiftKnobCover01.jpg

Yes, I know it doesn't quite match the tan leather...

H Folks, an update on my shift knob swap:

I finally received my Raceseng shift knob and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I was very unhappy with the overly small size of the OEM knob, its looks and the engraved numbers' rough edges as well as the rear hole for the set screw. I chose Raceseng Slammer model in black as I thought the Brush's finish would not match well with the more dull silver of the lower reverse pull lever.

I purchased Raceseng products in the past and currently have their knobs on 2 other cars of mine and I'm a longterm fan. Their product quality, feel and looks are second to none..

The Slammer is a weighted knob, it fits and works perfectly with the reverse lever and surprisingly, the height, with the adapter comes out basically the same as the OEM knob height. In my opinion, it represents a huge improvement.

Here are some pics...

Attachments

• IMG_0863.jpeg
    IMG_0863.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0866.jpeg
    IMG_0866.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0867.jpeg
    IMG_0867.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0868.jpeg
    IMG_0868.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 157

I finally received my Raceseng shift knob and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I was very unhappy with the overly small size of the OEM knob, its looks and the engraved numbers' rough edges as well as the rear hole for the set screw. I chose Raceseng Slammer model in black as I thought the Brush's finish would not match well with the more dull silver of the lower reverse pull lever.

I purchased Raceseng products in the past and currently have their knobs on 2 other cars of mine and I'm a longterm fan. Their product quality, feel and looks are second to none..

The Slammer is a weighted knob, it fits and works perfectly with the reverse lever and surprisingly, the height, with the adapter comes out basically the same as the OEM knob height. In my opinion, it represents a huge improvement.

Here are some pics...
Looks great! What adapter did you use?

Here are some pics...
Great set up.. I am waiting for contour version to try it out as well..
PXL_20240805_220426183.MP.jpg
PXL_20240805_220419891.MP.jpg
PXL_20240805_220416067.MP.jpg

I actually like the stock knob. I wonder if different trans fluid could reduce the shifting effort.

I received my Raceseng shift knob today. Didn’t realize they were just a bit north of me in PA so I got the package very quickly. All I have to say is it is such a nice piece of craftsmanship. I went with the Nitro model. It has a delrin cover that is textured and heat resistant. I haven’t driven it yet as I’m waiting for the loctite to set up but just shifting through the gears in the garage it feels really good. Looks good too.
IMG_4292.jpeg
IMG_4293.jpeg

I received my Raceseng shift knob today. Didn’t realize they were just a bit north of me in PA so I got the package very quickly. All I have to say is it is such a nice piece of craftsmanship. I went with the Nitro model. It has a delrin cover that is textured and heat resistant. I haven’t driven it yet as I’m waiting for the loctite to set up but just shifting through the gears in the garage it feels really good. Looks good too. View attachment 49368View attachment 49369
Thank you for sharing. I really like this setup except I wish the boot collar was also in black so the all 3 pieces looked more cohesive.

I can’t say I don’t agree about the boot collar but it looks better in person than in the pics. The center console bezel kinds of bring it together even though they are slightly different finishes.
IMG_4295.jpeg
IMG_4296.jpeg

Folks - In case you are interested in the Billetworkz shift knobs (mentioned by @Dlirium previously), I have also got one, but in the model "Custom Engraved - Weighted Knobs".

The knob feels pretty high quality. I ordered the spherical in gloss red, hoping to match the start button flip up, but the red is a bit brighter than the flip up. In person, you can barely see the difference. Some of the difference in the photo is because the knob is higher and gets more light.

I also got the gear labels in Japanese, which some may consider a crime for a British vehicle, but I have lived in Japan and still have family there, so I wanted it.

Installation including removing the OEM shift knob took 5 min. The top of the reverse lock out is visible, but just barely... maybe 1 mm below the knob, and you need to get down there to see it. I think totally fine.

The rubber gasket that is inside the OEM knob doesn't fit the new knob because of the adapter. Therefore, the top of the reverse lock out may get scratched over time. I will probably add some felt in there somehow to avoid that.

(On these pictures, you can also see the phone charger tray which @silent cilantro makes and sells. I am very happy with that also.)

1723425455806.jpeg

1723425484983.jpeg