• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Shift Knob Replacement

I appreciate the shout out! Japanese characters are a nice nod to the Toyota engine and trans so no crime committed!

Wood Lathe was more expensive than the Lotus A138V0971J Wooden [type 25] knob, so I ordered it from Silverstone.
I love it, was exactly what I was looking for.
I didn't weigh them, but the wood did feel lighter (guessing a few ounces) then stock OEM metal knob.

Attachments

• IMG_1114.jpeg
    IMG_1114.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1111.jpeg
    IMG_1111.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 77
I ended up ordering this shifter from Raceng.

Like others have said, it sits at the same height of the stock shifter and the extra weight really helps improve the notchyness. It "falls" into gear more easily now.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1705.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1705.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 85
  • thumbnail_IMG_1704.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1704.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 85
I've been looking into options - primarily with Raceseng like others have suggested here.

One question though, I saw somewhere that the OEM shifter knob weighs 110 grams and the two options I'm looking at from Raceseng, the Slammer and Ashiko, weigh 635 grams and 735 grams respectively. I've always been told you shouldn't rest your hand or put weight on the shifter to avoid unnecessary pressure on the shift forks. Could this fairly substantial constant weight pose any problems with the gearbox?

Also went with the Raceseng knob... Nicely weighted, really feels nice in the hand, and I think looks nicer than the OEM knob (also without that hole in the front!)

Attachments

• IMG_5164.jpg
    IMG_5164.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 58
Wood Lathe was more expensive than the Lotus A138V0971J Wooden [type 25] knob, so I ordered it from Silverstone.
I didn't weigh them, but the wood did feel lighter (guessing a few ounces) then stock OEM metal knob.
I have the same knob except with black Alcantara interior with yellow stitch

Attachments

• IMG_2464.jpeg
    IMG_2464.jpeg
    408 KB · Views: 42
I very much like the look of that Silverstone shift knob very much, but I was a bit disappointed with it being lighter (at least you suspect it is) than the OEM and what I like most about the Raceseng knobs is that fact that they are weighted which dramatically improves the shifting feel. In any event I'd like to get more information on the Silverstone one, but I can't seem to locate their website. Can you let us know the website or send a link? Thanks

I very much like the look of that Silverstone shift knob very much, but I was a bit disappointed with it being lighter (at least you suspect it is) than the OEM and what I like most about the Raceseng knobs is that fact that they are weighted which dramatically improves the shifting feel. In any event I'd like to get more information on the Silverstone one, but I can't seem to locate their website. Can you let us know the website or send a link? Thanks

I prefer a lighter, because you get more "feel", but it is a personal preference. I would like it a little larger diameter, I guess I have large hands.

My email to Raceseng went unanswered for about 2 weeks, so I followed up. Second time was the charm: I got a response within a couple days telling me they aren’t making any more Evora shift knobs (whatever they have left is it), nor do they have any plans to make shift knobs for the Emira. I pointed out there would likely be more Emira’s made, than prior Lotus cars, but that didn’t sway them. Too bad; I had my eye on a sold out/discontinued Evora shift knob that would have worked for my Emira with a good color match.

I've been looking into options - primarily with Raceseng like others have suggested here.

One question though, I saw somewhere that the OEM shifter knob weighs 110 grams and the two options I'm looking at from Raceseng, the Slammer and Ashiko, weigh 635 grams and 735 grams respectively. I've always been told you shouldn't rest your hand or put weight on the shifter to avoid unnecessary pressure on the shift forks. Could this fairly substantial constant weight pose any problems with the gearbox?
There are varying opinions on this subject, but one that makes sense to me, is explained by a mechanic who posted the following:

"jager1746

1 year ago
Mechanic here; Let me fix it for you, you shouldn’t rest your hand on the gearshift and put any kind of pressure on it. HOWEVER if you do want to rest your hand on the gearshift as long as you aren’t pushing or pulling on the shifter too much then your transmission and it’s internals will last just as long as normal."

Weighted knobs, despite their added weight, which helps improve shifting feel (it certainly has been my experience), do not produce the so called push or pull forces that someone's hand constantly resting on the shift knob can generate, and that is what supposedly adds stress to the gearbox.

I prefer a lighter, because you get more "feel", but it is a personal preference. I would like it a little larger diameter, I guess I have large hands.
Thanks. I checked their website, but it doesn't have much in terms of spec details, like size, weight and it seems dedicated to UK customers. I'm going to contact them via e-mail to get the info i need, but thanks again for the link.

Thanks. I checked their website, but it doesn't have much in terms of spec details, like size, weight and it seems dedicated to UK customers. I'm going to contact them via e-mail to get the info i need, but thanks again for the link.
It is a Lotus dealership in the U.K. that has a Lotus parts department, as a result I doubt they will provide you specifics you are requesting. The part in question is an OEM unit for an Exige, They will, however, ship to the U.S.

It is a Lotus dealership in the U.K. that has a Lotus parts department, as a result I doubt they will provide you specifics you are requesting. The part in question is an OEM unit for an Exige, They will, however, ship to the U.S.
That is exactly what I did, it took a couple weeks to deliver to Virginia. Fits Emira perfectly - even has the set screw in the back. I tried to order it from a U.S.A. Lotus dealer on line and they just cancelled the order, I do not think many places have it in stock.

That is exactly what I did, it took a couple weeks to deliver to Virginia. Fits Emira perfectly - even has the set screw in the back. I tried to order it from a U.S.A. Lotus dealer on line and they just cancelled the order, I do not think many places have it in stock.
Set screw? oh no, not happy about that. I was glad the Raceseng adapters eliminated the need for that set screw, but to be honest the OEM feature I dislike even more is its small size, which as you mentioned in your earlier post, is too small. I'm now guessing the dimensions of the Silverstone Exige knob are identical to the Emira's OEM?

Set screw? oh no, not happy about that. I was glad the Raceseng adapters eliminated the need for that set screw, but to be honest the OEM feature I dislike even more is its small size, which as you mentioned in your earlier post, is too small. I'm now guessing the dimensions of the Silverstone Exige knob are identical to the Emira's OEM?
set screw - like the metal OEM - you do not see it - it faces forward. Set screw is really needed to have it tight and facing the right way - like the OEM. I think it is slightly larger than metal OEM - but only slightly.

set screw - like the metal OEM - you do not see it - it faces forward. Set screw is really needed to have it tight and facing the right way - like the OEM. I think it is slightly larger than metal OEM - but only slightly.
Yes, I know where the set screw is and its purpose. That was third reason I got rid of the OEM Knob and went with the Raceseng one that I posted earlier. The main reason I got rid of the OEM, was the size being too small. I confess that I very much like the looks of the Silverstone knob, but the size, the screw set hole and the fact that it's not weighted, makes me want to stick with my Raceseng knob. Thanks again for the information.

I've been wanting a wooden shift knob, but haven't found anything I really liked. I came up with my own design, and asked all the custom knob manufacturers I could find if they would make it, but they don't make your custom design, only theirs. Only one guy said he would even attempt it, but he said he would only be able to do some of it, and it would be at least $400+. Based on that, I'm guessing this would cost upwards of $600 or more to complete the whole thing, which is more than I want to spend for a shift knob. For that price, I could buy a mini-lathe and make it myself.

Which got me to thinking..... if I did that, and can figure out how to make it like I want it, would anyone else be interested in a shift knob like this? And if so, what would you consider a fair price?

Here's my 3D concept of it. My plan is to use aluminum, but I could possibly use stainless steel for those who wanted a heavier one. It's 2 inches, slightly bigger than the factory knob which is 1.8 inches. After doing some research, an aluminum one would probably weigh somewhere around 1/2 a pound, while a stainless steel one would weigh about 1.5 lbs. I originally had wanted to use black perforated leather on the bottom half, which I might still do for a prototype, but I didn't have a perforated leather shader in my 3D program to use, so I used a textured rubber which is on this image. I kind of like the rubber, which would probably be easier and cheaper to use.

4 view 50mm copy.png

The top half is an exotic wood with a custom decal on top, and it would be covered with a hard clear coat. Middle is metal, and I would make the set screw itself almost flush with the surface. Bottom half is also metal and covered with either perforated leather, or a diamond pattern rubber. So what do you guys think? Is there any interest in something like this?

I've been wanting a wooden shift knob, but haven't found anything I really liked. I came up with my own design, and asked all the custom knob manufacturers I could find if they would make it, but they don't make your custom design, only theirs. Only one guy said he would even attempt it, but he said he would only be able to do some of it, and it would be at least $400+. Based on that, I'm guessing this would cost upwards of $600 or more to complete the whole thing, which is more than I want to spend for a shift knob. For that price, I could buy a mini-lathe and make it myself.

Which got me to thinking..... if I did that, and can figure out how to make it like I want it, would anyone else be interested in a shift knob like this? And if so, what would you consider a fair price?

Here's my 3D concept of it. My plan is to use aluminum, but I could possibly use stainless steel for those who wanted a heavier one. It's 2 inches, slightly bigger than the factory knob which is 1.8 inches. After doing some research, an aluminum one would probably weigh somewhere around 1/2 a pound, while a stainless steel one would weigh about 1.5 lbs. I originally had wanted to use black perforated leather on the bottom half, which I might still do for a prototype, but I didn't have a perforated leather shader in my 3D program to use, so I used a textured rubber which is on this image. I kind of like the rubber, which would probably be easier and cheaper to use.

View attachment 51231

The top half is an exotic wood with a custom decal on top, and it would be covered with a hard clear coat. Middle is metal, and I would make the set screw itself almost flush with the surface. Bottom half is also metal and covered with either perforated leather, or a diamond pattern rubber. So what do you guys think? Is there any interest in something like this?
Looks sick! I wonder if you could do the bottom portion knurled metal and black anodized instead of rubber for longevity purposes.