• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Short Throw Shift Kits Now Available!

Want this but not until I know it's not gonna cause issues...

James ,24 1st Ed hethel yellow

Just a thought, but other than "cost" and "ease of installation / removal", are there any reasons not to replace the arm or assembly or whatever it's called with different geometries instead of adding an adapter?

Crossposting here because Greg has a new short shifter kit he's made, I've included an installation video and review in my journal.

Thanks to @kitkat video, I knew what to expect when installing my short shift kit. Here are a few additional tips and tricks for installing this modification.

A small step ladder makes it easy to crawl in and out of the boot of the Emira.
The inside body of my short shifter needed a bit of clearance with a metal file to fit. I've attached photos below.
I also used a little grease on the cotter pin post and inside the body of the short shifter to help it slide into place.

Before the installation, I adjusted my short shifter bolt and moved it into the middle setting for about a 50% decrease in the throw (it comes set at about 45%). I'm VERY happy with the results! The shift throw reduction is substantial. It makes shifting into first and second gear much easier. There used to be a bit of a rubbery squish feeling when shifting down into first gear, which has now been eliminated. Sport shifting from first to second gear seems quicker and less notchy. Overall, shifting seems more mechanical and precise. 👌

IMG_1369.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks to your video, I knew what to expect when installing my short shift kit. Here are a few additional tips and tricks for installing this modification.

The inside body of my short shifter needed a bit of clearance with a metal file to fit. I've attached photos below.
I also used a little grease on the cotter pin post and inside the body of the short shifter to help it slide into place.

Before the installation, I adjusted my short shifter bolt and moved it into the middle setting for about a 50% decrease in the throw (it comes set at about 45%). I'm VERY happy with the results! The shift throw reduction is substantial. It makes shifting into first and second gear much easier. There used to be a bit of a rubbery squish feeling when shifting down into first gear, which has now been eliminated. Sport shifting from first to second gear seems quicker and less notchy. Overall, shifting seems more mechanical and precise. 👌

View attachment 51625
View attachment 51626
I was hoping to hear this.

Especially if shifting from 1st to 2nd is easier.
This car is so fun already, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do this anymore.

I was hoping to hear this.

Especially if shifting from 1st to 2nd is easier.
This car is so fun already, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do this anymore.
The shift kit is worth it and makes it even more fun IMO!

The shift kit is worth it and makes it even more fun IMO!
Apologies in advance, I know you've already answered this question, but I feel obligated to ask again. I don't' have too much problem with the factory shift feel, though it is a bit long. I would just like a more precise shift feel, particularly when shifting from 1st to 2nd. More precision would be an excellent improvement. If this helps provide a more positive confident engagement in that 1 -2 shift it would be a very beneficial enhancement. It feels when you make that 1 -2 shift at hard throttle and high RPM's you really need to be very focused (and slow) to ensure a good shift. If it helps with that and feels more natural in the process it would be a big improvement.

Also, curious about how much more force is required for the shifting. I'm not too worried about that aspect, just would be nice to know.

I plan on upgrading the transmission fluid soon and am thinking that better fluid and a better shift mechanism has to make the car even more enjoyable to drive.

This really seemed to be the one true negative aspect of the car from all of the reviewers. I don't feel it's as bad as some have said, but it could benefit from improvement.

Thanks again,

The increase in force required should be directly proportional to the reduction in shift travel.

Meaning if you reduced the shift travel by half you’d need twice as much force.

I've attached a video of the rubber insert used on the factory shift linkage. Once you see that piece compared to the quality Heim Joint that replaces it, you realize where some of that rubbery first and second gear shift engagement comes from. I didn't notice much increase in shift force. Whatever increase in force there is was consumed by the enjoyment of ditching the rubber for a more direct, natural feel.

Thanks to @kitkat video, I knew what to expect when installing my short shift kit. Here are a few additional tips and tricks for installing this modification.

View attachment 51625
View attachment 51626
That's the new version and still requires manual modification?

That's the new version and still requires manual modification?
It just depends on your car's shift arm. Kitkat's fit just fine, and mine required only the slightest adjustment with a small metal file.

Reactions: GRP
There’s definitely some tolerance variation on Lotus’ side. I don’t think the variation is on Greg’s side — I guess I got lucky. The instructions on Greg’s site do indicate it’s a tight fit.

Reactions: GRP

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back