• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Should I disconnect the battery for 3 weeks away?

trackday14

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I’ll be away from my Emira for 3 weeks…Should I disconnect the battery? (Trickle charger is not an option). Thoughts?

I just got back from 6 week trip, car started perfectly! :) someone else mentioned 6 weeks was not an issue as well. :) haven't tested any further out than that

Not sure how long the battery in the Emira would last, but my other cars' batteries could last 8 weeks. 3 weeks should be safe imo

Not sure how long the battery in the Emira would last, but my other cars' batteries could last 8 weeks. 3 weeks should be safe imo
I’m only asking because there have been numerous posts on this forum that related to dead batteries occurring after only a few weeks of nonuse…was curious if it was still an issue…

I just got back from 6 week trip, car started perfectly! :) someone else mentioned 6 weeks was not an issue as well. :) haven't tested any further out than that
Lots of reports or CEL if you don't have it on a tender. I'd fully charge it before driving it around if it was me. I left mine for 5 weeks on the battery tender and all is well in the universe.

When I picked up my Emira, my dealer said that Lotus suggests using the provided trickle charger if the car will not be driven for "a couple of weeks."

The user manual says that "Starting difficulties may be experience after an unused period of 18 days"

It also makes it pretty clear that you should not let the battery become discharged.

I'm curious why you say that a trickle charger isn't an option.

1721129358544.png

When I picked up my Emira, my dealer said that Lotus suggests using the provided trickle charger if the car will not be driven for "a couple of weeks."

The user manual says that "Starting difficulties may be experience after an unused period of 18 days"

It also makes it pretty clear that you should not let the battery become discharged.

I'm curious why you say that a trickle charger isn't an option.

View attachment 47747
Given the severe storms predicted over the next few weeks, I’m not parking the car in my home garage while out of town and unattended…It will be in a storage unit with no electricity available. Hence, the trickle charger is not an option.

I’m only asking because there have been numerous posts on this forum that related to dead batteries occurring after only a few weeks of nonuse…was curious if it was still an issue…
I wonder why the battery in the Emira is draining so fast while other cars have no problems with sitting there for several weeks.. Don't they use the same battery?

My car has sat for two weeks in between drives and had zero issues starting up again.

I personally wouldn't plug it in for anything less than 4 weeks.

Thanks. I’m inclined to agree. If it goes dead, I’ll replace it with a lithium one - and save about 30 lbs!
If it dies on you I would think that the battery would still be salvageable by trickle charging it back to it's proper levels.

At least that's always been the case on my motorcycles.

Assuming the battery has been properly charged previously, 2-3 weeks is not an issue.

I am not able to fit a trickle charger at the moment and have to keep a close eye on the charge levels which you can do in the Lotus App. I was nervous about the battery state but it is fine for 4 weeks in winter and 6 weeks in the summer (I live in Scotland). I havent driven the car for 4 weeks and I can see the car has 12.7 volts so plenty of charge. I think the lowest I have seen is 12.3 volts. I set the alarm on the app for a low battery warning but it hasn't gone off so far (if it works). Hope that helps.

I wonder why the battery in the Emira is draining so fast while other cars have no problems with sitting there for several weeks.. Don't they use the same battery?

These newer cars are "computer-focused" and most of the computers continue to run, when the vehicle is parked, thus draining the battery. Some vehicles, like my E550 Mercedes, have 2 batteries, which helps, since one is focused on powering other things and the "main battery" remains charged longer, enabling a more reliable start-up. How long the one Emira battery will last, depends upon the electrical design of the car and how many computers will shut down, versus those that continue to run, while the vehicle is parked. So charge time (while parked) can vary between vehicles. Other factors include ambient temperature, with really cold temps in particular (-22F/-30C), promoting battery drainage (up to 50% at that temperature). It also depends on the kind of battery you have and vehicle batteries come in different sizes (cranking power) and types.

I also think this topic won't settle on a magic number (# weeks undriven, unplugged and still "ok") because of environmental factors and we each don't know how long (and where) our factory battery sat before being installed in the car, and then how long (and where) the car sat prior to shipping and delivery. Don't be suprised if your results are better/worse than anyone elses.