Stock Rotor Replacement for Lotus Emira

Airen told me Lotus owners are more tech inclined and like to read more than other communties. This tends me to answer or explain more than usual and I hope you enjoy reading them.

Take 2 pc rotor as an example, regardless of how they are "bolt together" and their pro/con, do you know RB center-mount design can assemble to different disc thickness while keeping the offset unchanged (vs. conventional surface mount the offset changes along with the disc thickness).

Let's say for Emira front rotors you can have the following discs that assembled to the same rotor hat.
  1. Standard duty: 30mm for street driving. (8 kg/17.6 bs)
  2. Medium duty: 32mm for spirited driving. (9/19.8) - Default same as OE
  3. Heavy duty: 34mm for track racing. (10/22)
This is a more supplicated option that most drivers don't even care although some may well be looking for a more efficient setup to tailor to their individual needs, each disc wt exactly 1 kg (2.2 lbs) difference which I am sure you know the advantage of 'un-sprung" wt saving, and how a rotor mass related to the thermal capacity.

Currently we only list 32mm but if you are interested in fine tuning your brake with duty option let me know so we can add them.

Last edited:
Airen told me Lotus owners are more tech inclined and like to read more than other communties. This tends me to answer or explain more than usual and I hope you enjoy reading them.

Take 2 pc rotor as an example, regardless of how they are "bolt together" and their pro/con, do you know RB center-mount design can assemble to different disc thickness while keeping the offset unchanged (vs. conventional surface mount the offset changes along with the disc thickness).

Let's say for Emira front rotors you can have the following discs that assembled to the same rotor hat.
  1. Standard duty: 30mm for street driving. (8 kg/17.6 bs)
  2. Medium duty: 32mm for spirited driving. (9/19.8) - Default same as OE
  3. Heavy duty: 34mm for track racing. (10/22)
This is a more supplicated option that most drivers don't even care although some may well be looking for a more efficient setup to tailor to their individual needs, each disc wt exactly 1 kg (2.2 lbs) difference which I am sure you know the advantage of 'un-sprung" wt saving, and how a rotor mass related to the thermal capacity.

Currently we only list 32mm but if you are interested in fine tuning your brake with duty option let me know so we can add them.
Noticed the rear is 30mm. Is that for weight saving? Assuming it would be ok for medium track use considering it's only the rears. Is there any weight saving for front 32mm set vs OEM?

The rear rotor usually are smaller and thinner than the front like Emira (370x32 front; 350x30 rear), but in some other car models the thickness difference is huge; eg
Jaguar F-Pace SVR:
Front is 395x36mm; the rear is a 396x26, same dia front/rear but the thickness is 10mm​
Jeep Trackhawk:
Front 400x36; rear 350x28, big (2") difference in dia, 8mm difference in thickness.​
Since they are OE so no one will can question, although we offer a rear bbk 390x28 to make the rear rotor dia closer to the front for a more balance brake and was well accepted.

Back to the front Emira option, we believe 30mm thick is more than adequate to handle the street driving although the rear can also be proportionally reduced to 28 but it's not as significant as the front so it's not considered.

Wt comparison between stock and RB oversized 2pc:
1729305781825.png

If RB disc is swapped with 380x30 the wt will become (22-2.2)=19.8, 1 lbs lighter than OE even with 10mm larger in diameter which I think is more ideal & efficient for a street application.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back