• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

TOP GEAR Review ?...... Total specualtion

Perhaps Stig might drive it too…
Especially as he’s the inspiration for the icon on the Emira a/c control :)

55FC6A0C-2CAC-4518-8032-2CD0AF903CCD.jpeg

Do we know if Chris will be driving a manual V6 or the i4? Surely the manual as he's a pro-manual transmission kinda guy. Excited for the review... I get the feeling it will be overwhelmingly positive and will focus on the Emira being a proper analogue driving car made for the road. Lets see :)

Do we know if Chris will be driving a manual V6 or the i4? Surely the manual as he's a pro-manual transmission kinda guy. Excited for the review... I get the feeling it will be overwhelmingly positive and will focus on the Emira being a proper analogue driving car made for the road. Lets see :)
I'd guess the V6, for the global TV debut to not feature the launch car/model would be a bit strange?

I like Chris H and agree with him most of the time, he is very opinionated and people do believe every word he says like its fact, if he thinks its a reengineered Evora (like he has already said on camera), then the world will believe thats all it is :-(
But given how much he loves drivers cars, manuals and cars which are focused (He's a major GT3 lover), then the Emira should be his kind of car.

I'd guess the V6, for the global TV debut to not feature the launch car/model would be a bit strange?

I like Chris H and agree with him most of the time, he is very opinionated and people do believe every word he says like its fact, if he thinks its a reengineered Evora (like he has already said on camera), then the world will believe thats all it is :-(
But given how much he loves drivers cars, manuals and cars which are focused (He's a major GT3 lover), then the Emira should be his kind of car.
But it is mechanically a reengineered Evora...which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

But it is mechanically a reengineered Evora...which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Wash your mouth out with soap :oops: its assembly philosophy are the same, but even there, methods are fare apart...... its a new chassis, with different dimension. The suspension has improved and different parts. The tub is wider and door opening in the tub ic longer, its hinged in a different place. the V6 drive train you could say shared parts.....

Wash your mouth out with soap :oops: its assembly philosophy are the same, but even there, methods are fare apart...... its a new chassis, with different dimension. The suspension has improved and different parts. The tub is wider and door opening in the tub ic longer, its hinged in a different place. the V6 drive train you could say shared parts.....

Shared parts? The V6 drivetrain is identical.. Well, actually it has less power than the outgoing Evoras. That's going to be hard for reviewers to overlook.

Shared parts? The V6 drivetrain is identical.. Well, actually it has less power than the outgoing Evoras. That's going to be hard for reviewers to overlook.
Yes i said the drive train.... yes its down on power on the last special version did of the Evora. Many other parts I think you will find are not interchageable..... new wish bones..... if the car was so a like, why have they spent so long working how to put it together, road test etc

Last edited:
Why are people so touchy about the Evora? The Emira is a completely new car. It uses the same engine and trans as the Evora, but even the intake and exhaust are different. Gavan has already said it out-performs the Evora, so that doesn't sound like 'slower' to me. We don't actually know yet what the power rating of the V6 in the Emira is since we haven't seen any test reviews yet. We should finally be getting that kind of info next month with the Top Gear review.

Why are people so touchy about the Evora? The Emira is a completely new car. It uses the same engine and trans as the Evora, but even the intake and exhaust are different. Gavan has already said it out-performs the Evora, so that doesn't sound like 'slower' to me. We don't actually know yet what the power rating of the V6 in the Emira is since we haven't seen any test reviews yet. We should finally be getting that kind of info next month with the Top Gear review.
So very true..... 400bhp am happy with, any more....... epic :D

They've published the Emira V6 power as being 400hp, so yes it is below the Evora 410 and 430 variants and is a heavier car than those. It'll still be quick but headline 0-60 probably not quicker than those two.

Mate, it's an evolved Evora. I've worked in the 'financial / business' sector of the automotive industry for a while. Almost all 'new' cars are based on on older platforms - you see this across the board from Ferrari to the VW group. It's not a bad thing and more often than not the smart thing to do.

Do you have any idea what it costs in time and money to actually develop a brand new platform - comfortably north of $1b in today's money. To recoup their investments automakers embarking on this either create modular adaptable platforms for different ranges (BMW CLAR), adapt the platform over multiple model iterations (Ferrari 458 / 488/ Tribute) or simply share it across a group (VW). There are of course other models for high volume producers that can amortise the cost over the volumes they produce etc

The Emira is a nod to the past, it is Lotus giving their existing platform the last hoorah it deserves with the resources to actually pull it off. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this!

Back on topic...

I am cautiously optimistic about the Top Gear review. Chris Harris can also be frank about this opinions on a car - the SF90 review comes to mind. When I test drove the Evora the phrase that kept coming to mind was "Usable Power". I daily a much faster (in a straight line at least) car but still preferred the performance of the Evora and put a deposit down.

I think we've come full circle and are now well over the ridiculous power some modern cars make. The success of the M2, Alpine A110, Cayman 4.0 and GR Yaris point to a trend of valuing what it was that made us fall in love in cars before their speeds became (literally in Tesla's case) ludicrous. Steering feel, driver engagement, fun! These are all things I expect the Emira to excel at so fingers crossed.

Mate, it's an evolved Evora. I've worked in the 'financial / business' sector of the automotive industry for a while. Almost all 'new' cars are based on on older platforms - you see this across the board from Ferrari to the VW group. It's not a bad thing and more often than not the smart thing to do.

Do you have any idea what it costs in time and money to actually develop a brand new platform - comfortably north of $1b in today's money. To recoup their investments automakers embarking on this either create modular adaptable platforms for different ranges (BMW CLAR), adapt the platform over multiply iterations (Ferrari 458 / 488/ Tribute) or simply share it across a group (VW). There are of course other models for high volume producers that can amortise the cost over the volumes they produce etc

The Emira is a nod to the past, it is Lotus giving their existing platform the last hoorah it deserves with the resources to actually pull it off. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this!
Yes i understand what it cost to build a new platford from the ground up. thats why companys like BMW and Toyota share the cost etc to build a new car. Its something done in many idustries,

As for its build method of chassis... Aston Martin still use it. I have not see Lotus say they will stop using it

If you are saying it evolved from the Evora..... but you could say all cars evolved form Mr benz first car

Having seen the Evora chassis and being one of a very few public to of seen the Emira chassis, they are simalar, but not the same..... very many part will not be interchangeable....The methods used to put the chassis together have changed.... I think its fare to call it new car ...... but hay thanks for explaining it to me

Last edited:
They've published the Emira V6 power as being 400hp, so yes it is below the Evora 410 and 430 variants and is a heavier car than those. It'll still be quick but headline 0-60 probably not quicker than those two.

Yeah, a spokesperson/designer/someone at Lotus said the Emira is lower on power because of stricter emissions regulations now.

Regarding weight and 0-60... I'm in the US, so comparing it to the US 2021 Evora GT:
1. The Emira is actually lighter at 3,097 lbs, whereas the 2021 Evora GT is 3,175 lbs.
2. The Emira is significantly slower in 0-60 at 4.3s, whereas the 2021 Evora GT is 3.8.

I'm kind of expecting the Emira to be overall faster around a track than the 2021 Evora GT, having the weight, aero, and suspected chassis/suspension advantages.

On another note, I thought I read that the only white Emira in existence is the 4cylinder. I sure hope they don't test the 4cyl on Top Gear...

It's less expensive as well while having a better quality, will that be hard to overlook too?

It's less expensive as well while having a better quality, will that be hard to overlook too?
We all know how beautiful it looks, but will that be enough to overlook the ~20 year old engine and rav 4 gearbox? I'm not saying it's a bad set up at all.. It's just dated and down on power from the model it's replacing. No matter how you look at it, that's a negative mark for any reviewer. I know the car will be fantastic and I'm excited to get my FE later this year, but we need to be realistic... These reviewers are all going to mention the somewhat underwhelming V6, but compliment the sound of it.. Then they'll all say they're actually more excited to test the turbo AMG version.

Yes i understand what it cost to build a new platford from the ground up. thats why compnays like BMW and Toyota share the cost etc to build a new car. Its something done in many idustries,

As for its build method of chassis... Aston Martin still use it. I have not see Lotus say they will stop using it

If you are saying it evolved from the Evora..... but you could say all cars evolved form Mr benz first car

Having seen the Evora chassis and being one of a very few public to of seen the Emira chassis, they are simalar, but not the same..... very many part will not be interchangeable....The methods used to put the chassis together have changed.... I think its fare to call it new car ...... but hay thanks for explaining it to me
This. It seems there will always be some flat earthers claiming that the Emira is just a rehashed Evora, but the notion is demonstrably, factually wrong. It shares the V6 engine and gearbox with the Evora, but has no other major parts in common. Perhaps it is because it is a similar size the the Evora? Or maybe it is just because of the drive train? If Lotus had dropped the V6 and only designed the car around the I4 I suspect the re-skinned Evora jibe would be less prevalent.