• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Waiting times

Exactly - be on every street corner - but i guess they have to balance global supply and demand against UK demand. if they can make 15000 cars over 3 shifts not all of them will be bound for the UK.
And yet, aggregate the total numbers of Porsches made in high volumes over the last 15 years and I can still go days without seeing one - I think seeing an Emira will still be an "event"
For context Porsche sold 32,546 911s globally last year and 2,226 of those were in the UK (figures happened to be in last week's Autocar). Add Caymans and Boxsters into the mix going back years and I doubt the Emira is ever going to be remotely as common as Porsches in the UK. Enthusiast sports cars also have a history of a big spike in demand when a new model comes out which then tails off after a couple of years. Sooner or later everyone who wants/can afford one has got one. I'd be very surprised if there is going to be enough demand to sustain Emira production at two or even three shift levels for a long period, especially as tax regimes for ICE cars are only going one way. At least I'm selfishly hoping that is the case so the Emira retains some exclusivity and that wow factor :)

For context Porsche sold 32,546 911s globally last year and 2,226 of those were in the UK (figures happened to be in last week's Autocar). Add Caymans and Boxsters into the mix going back years and I doubt the Emira is ever going to be remotely as common as Porsches in the UK. Enthusiast sports cars also have a history of a big spike in demand when a new model comes out which then tails off after a couple of years. Sooner or later everyone who wants/can afford one has got one. I'd be very surprised if there is going to be enough demand to sustain Emira production at two or even three shift levels for a long period, especially as tax regimes for ICE cars are only going one way. At least I'm selfishly hoping that is the case so the Emira retains some exclusivity and that wow factor :)
Spot on, I mean none of us would be buying an Emira if we weren't a little bit selfish?! 😉

Spot on, I mean none of us would be buying an Emira if we weren't a little bit selfish?! 😉
Hmmmm...... reasons we desire an Emira? I'd say the lot of us are focused, particular and mechanically demanding.
There's probably Lotus car attributes that align with personality traits. Certainly individualism. If you ran with the crowd you probably wouldn't be here.
The motivations are many and distinct.

Hmmmm...... reasons we desire an Emira? I'd say the lot of us are focused, particular and mechanically demanding.
There's probably Lotus car attributes that align with personality traits. Certainly individualism. If you ran with the crowd you probably wouldn't be here.
The motivations are many and distinct.
Indeed they are! Compared to other sports cars marques, the Emira will appeal those who value beauty over bling and handling over horsepower.

With this many cars,it starts to make the Emira less Elusive.....

Echoes of Porsches being a dime a dozen comes to mind...
Yes, I’ve been thinking the same thing. It actually makes me wonder too if the Evora may be the more collectible car, either at the beginning or end of production. The Evora GT here in the US is a particularly good drivers car and the late versions, although a bit quirky (a good thing), are plenty well appointed for me. What do folks think about this collectibility question?

I think Evoras will remain collectable. Limited numbers and many people now discovering them after the Emira launch - I'm amazed how many people have said recently "I never new Lotus made a 2+2 GT car". Some people also see them as the last iteration of old Lotus - analog, minimalist interiors, few mass-market features, and a bit quirky.

I'm talking myself into keeping mine... :)
...or talking up the prices for when I sell it ;)

I think Evoras will remain collectable. Limited numbers and many people now discovering them after the Emira launch - I'm amazed how many people have said recently "I never new Lotus made a 2+2 GT car". Some people also see them as the last iteration of old Lotus - analog, minimalist interiors, few mass-market features, and a bit quirky.

I'm talking myself into keeping mine... :)
...or talking up the prices for when I sell it ;)

As daft as it sounds

I think the new 132 will do more for the publics awareness of Lotus.... if it sells in the numbers the new MG has.

But still the Emira will stay unique.... The methos of building the chassis is only used by one other company?.

All this about the Cayman being it comparison... The GT4 may be..... not the standard car. How many GT4's do you see daily

So ok, they are perhps selling more Emira than the Evoras..... but still I dont see us pulling along side one, in ours any day soon..... well unless you off to an event

Said this before.... told a mate I was buying a Lotus. He thought they had gone bust

I won't be at all surprised if the new Lotus raises the brand value of the old Lotus. This new Lotus is going to be a serious contender for a lot of customers, not just upscale Porsche owners.

I think the exige will be the collectors item. The raw basic track focused car. From when regulations and limitations were minimal (relatively speaking). And they look better than Evora IMO. But I don't want one....i want an Emira!!!
I agree and I think it's "Exige and Evora" rather than "Exige not Evora". Certainly planning to keep my Exige.

I think anyone hanging onto an Elise,Exige,Evora and it's in good condition is definitely onto a winner.

I wish id have bought one when they were priced reasonably then locked it away and watch the price go up year on year.

I think anyone hanging onto an Elise,Exige,Evora and it's in good condition is definitely onto a winner.

I wish id have bought one when they were priced reasonably then locked it away and watch the price go up year on year.
I often wonder about buying something as an 'investment'. But I think unless you are talking something in the big bucks, and you bought a couple of years back, you're not on to a winner. The cost of storage and maintenance on something around the 80k mark will easily eat into the appreciation to make it unviable unless you get very lucky IMO.

I agree, you're unlikely to double your money and they're not investments in the sense of buying to hold as assets to appreciate in value. Although you could buy a decent S1 Exige for £20-30k a few years back and they were up around £40-50k last year. I saw 10-15% increases on McLaren 12Cs during 2021, but who knows if that (and everything else) will head downwards in a year or two.

What you will probably get is modest appreciation that could amount to cost-free motoring if you don't put silly mileage on one. Or at least zero depreciation on paper, which is all you need for man-maths!

Due to this crazy market, I have owned my f430 for 6 years, added 18k miles and man maths says it has cost nothing. Albeit there has been servicing etc. 2 reasonable bills. But total running cost has been to me amazingly reasonable. Not bought as investment. When I did buy a car as semi investment, I stopped driving through fear of adding miles. It was a disaster! Sold it within 6 months and got back to driving what I owned!

To whom it may concern

I spoke to Lotus today and they confirmed that a deposit down today for an I4 Emira would end up with a 2024 delivery, this is however subject to change.

That is crazy.

Wow, that's extraordinary. Basically a two year waiting list for a car not yet in production and not yet driven by the press reviewers.

My hunch is that's based on the current plan of two shifts from start of 2023. Third shift has got to start looking very likely now.

Wow, that's extraordinary. Basically a two year waiting list for a car not yet in production and not yet driven by the press reviewers.

My hunch is that's based on the current plan of two shifts from start of 2023. Third shift has got to start looking very likely now.
Yep.... Good for the future of LOTUS and the car...... residaul prices........ but when do I get my car :):eek::)

But seriously..... they need to sort out the dissemination of information..... mainly the delivery schedule... manage customers expectation by sharing information with them

Back