What did you do to your Emira today?

I optioned the heavy-duty axle and tow package and bought a matching trailer, but I am not within the legal or safe operating parameters without an integrated trailer brake controller which the Emira does not natively support.

:rolleyes:šŸ˜„

Of course, all the above is a gag.

I did find it a neat coincidence that the car goes with the trailer, or vice versus. I never thought about until I had them in the same driveway. I think my therapist would have a field day with why my vehicles (and my personality) are either back or white with no color in-between.

Attachments

• IMG_5489.png
    IMG_5489.png
    2 MB · Views: 50
Got around to installing the matching gaiter, alcantara with yellow stitching. Big thanks to @Jimblob for the contact at Hide and Seam and the install tips. Turned out great and I like the way it looks.

I also dropped in the K&N air filter. I have not done the valve controller or 3rd cat delete yet, but there is an increase in supercharger whine with the new filter. I am only at 350 miles, so I have some time before I do the first oil change and if I am going to do either the controller or 3rd cat delete. I like the sound now, but time will tell.
IMG_2013.jpeg

Got around to installing the matching gaiter, alcantara with yellow stitching. Big thanks to @Jimblob for the contact at Hide and Seam and the install tips. Turned out great and I like the way it looks.

I also dropped in the K&N air filter. I have not done the valve controller or 3rd cat delete yet, but there is an increase in supercharger whine with the new filter. I am only at 350 miles, so I have some time before I do the first oil change and if I am going to do either the controller or 3rd cat delete. I like the sound now, but time will tell.View attachment 50215
IMHO I would prioritize the 3rd cat delete over the valve controller. The 3rd cat delete will get you more sound. The valve controller just gives you a little more control.

Hey brother . How did you take the side vents out ? I need to take them out and redo PPF on my side panels .

You need to remove the rear wheels and wheel well arch liners first. At the top and bottom of the vents there is a screw that needs to be removed. On the outer edge of the side vents there are three clips. That's it.

IMHO I would prioritize the 3rd cat delete over the valve controller. The 3rd cat delete will get you more sound. The valve controller just gives you a little more control.

I disagree there, I didn't notice too much with third cat delete. The valve controller was way more sound in every area except for up top.

I disagree there, I didn't notice too much with third cat delete. The valve controller was way more sound in every area except for up top.
I don't have the valve controller so can't object. I can confirm that the 3rd cat delete does increase the sound to a very healthy level. If you're saying it gets EVEN louder noticeably with the valve controller, more reason I would stay away from it. But this is all personal preference.

If I were to do it again I would prob do 3rd cat delete only and no valve controller. I feel like intake/supercharger noises are lost to exhaust noise below 4k rpm if the valve is fully opened using the controller. I mostly keep mine in OEM mode.

Wow, I get more confused every time I read posts like these last few. I still have my 3rd Cat Delete and Valve Controller in their packaging boxes awaiting installation, which I actually was planning to do soon. I understand that exhaust sound, like everything else, depends on opinions and preferences, but I recall so many favorable arguments for adding the two, that I was compelled to get both. Sure, I can always remove one, even both, or, in the case of the valve controller, just always leave it in OEM mode, but still, having made the investment, those alternatives don't leave me with the fuzziest of feelings. At this point, the hell with it, I'm installing both anyway.

Wow, I get more confused every time I read posts like these last few. I still have my 3rd Cat Delete and Valve Controller in their packaging boxes awaiting installation, which I actually was planning to do soon. I understand that exhaust sound, like everything else, depends on opinions and preferences, but I recall so many favorable arguments for adding the two, that I was compelled to get both. Sure, I can always remove one, even both, or, in the case of the valve controller, just always leave it in OEM mode, but still, having made the investment, those alternatives don't leave me with the fuzziest of feelings. At this point, the hell with it, I'm installing both anyway.
To me, 3rd cat delete is where itā€™s at. Completely changes the sound of the car and itā€™s how it should have come from the factory. The valve controller is just the icing on the cake. Gives you the flexibility to put it on a setting (eg valve open) and forget about it regardless of the speed or gear youā€™re in.

Don't get me wrong, the valve controller fully opens the valve which makes the system louder across all modes and RPMs, so there is value to it. I just think I like to get a little bit of all the noises the car makes, vs drowning them in exhaust noise.

I only really open the valve for "rev it!" requests from kids in my neighborhood, which I must confess, brings me joy :)

All is cool guys. I'm just hoping that my Emira exhaust sound, by adding the 2 mods, gets me close to the Sports/Sports+ mode of my 911 which, in my humble opinion, has the "Goldilocks" level for a V6.

Keep the fuzzy feelings man.

On fully open it sounds just as good as v10's. On touring/half mode it's pretty quiet. I'm a weekend driver not daily, so I expect excitement/fun from the car.

I live near downtown where kids and adults scream "REVV IT!" in excitement šŸ¤³. The sound surpasses their expectations everytime. When I want to hear the music clearly or drive more stealthily in the neighborhood, it's very quiet when the mode is touring and the valves are closed/half.

You have it backwards. 3rd cat delete only increases volume maybe 20%, whereas the valve controller on open mode bypasses the muffler and effectively turns the exhaust into straight pipe, which increases the sound by a lot more.

I have both installed and running the controller in OEM mode even with the 3rd cat delete is not much louder than stock. If I did it again I would skip the cat delete. The valve controller is much faster and easier to install as well in about 15 minutes.

Will 3rd cat delete create a problem for state emission testing?
Not unless your state is willing to remove 15 or so bolts to remove the diffuser and examine the catalytic converter area behind the muffler. It should pass both a sniff test and an obd2 readiness monitor check as well.

You have it backwards. 3rd cat delete only increases volume maybe 20%, whereas the valve controller on open mode bypasses the muffler and effectively turns the exhaust into straight pipe, which increases the sound by a lot more.

I have both installed and running the controller in OEM mode even with the 3rd cat delete is not much louder than stock. If I did it again I would skip the cat delete. The valve controller is much faster and easier to install as well in about 15 minutes.
You are correct. My perspective is that on full throttle above a certain RPM you will be wide open with or without the valve controller. The controller allows you to be full open from 0.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back