Wonder if any cancellations after Test drives ???

@Eagle7 respectfully you're way off and everything you said is incorrect. All those have ZERO effect on emissions and the delta between superchargers, gearing, and final drive is MINIMAL way less than 3k or anything people would care about for the huge performance jump. Lotus chose not to do it for the same reason they always chose not to. They simply lack understanding of what new consumers want and they know their old ones will buy anything with a new window sticker on it
Now I'm beginning to wonder if you aren't a troll or something. Adding more power most certainly does effect emissions AND mileage, as well as requiring upgrading the brakes, the chassis, the shock and spring rates, etc. Everything they do to a car has to pass homologation in order to certify it to be sold. Did you know they have to write off about 70 cars in order to pass all those tests? That's all part of the expense of development. They're not some weekend garage monkey who can just add components without having to pass any kind of inspection. Plus they have to warranty everything for at least 3 years, which means extensive (and expensive) testing over any and all conditions to ensure everything holds together and doesn't break.

Lotus doesn't "lack understanding", they have far more than you realize.

@Tonyshepp that should read "The emira is a 100k sports car and people rightly expect it to have the specifications of one"
We all like power. Question is does it need it.
If it was 460/480bhp then it would be a 120/130k dollar car and everyone would be comparing it to class above.
It's pitched at 718S and GT4 territory, has the power and price to back that up and will worry a few 992s as well. All whilst being the better drive. Can't see there is much not to like. As you say if you want to upgrade you can spend that extra 20-30k and have a complete beast

Probably has 10 Ferraris and airwolf in his underground lair

Oh boy, I just waiting for the classic " you just knock the EMIRA because you cannot afford it" false claim.

I just don't understand how people get their underwear all bunched up over constructive criticism of a vehicle. If someone has a valid argument, you should have a good rebuttal, and not a sly insult.

The EMIRA has huge shortcomings. So what ?.... The biggest shortcoming is the LACK of engine POWER and still using a 10 year old powertrain. I can't remember one ( please correct me if I am wrong) manufacturer who has not added power to their performance sports cars in over a decade, especially with a new platform.

I have a C8 and despite it being a great car, it also has issues. Even the new C8 Z06 is embarrassing that it weighs close to 3800 pounds curb weight. I will still buy one, but I can't complain about it ?

I cancelled my deposit on the Emira V6 because of pricing but I might still pick one up used in a few years, but I have to love everything about it ?

The Emira should have had 500hp upon it reveal. Its embarrassing that the same powertrain with the same HP output is being put into a new platform. Especially Embarrassing for an "engineering" company.

GM has used old V8 engines in new Corvette platforms, but has at least tweaked the engine to produce a bit more HP for the new platform. The V8's used in the C7 platform was not that dramatically different from the old C6 previous platform, BUT at least GM found 20 or 30 more HP with the same engine with some minor tweaking.

These are valid complaints.

And if anyone complains about the weak Lotus dealer network here on this forum will they also get flamed ?

@4GIV8M3 Why are you buying one if it's so slow and that's a major shortcoming for you? Did I miss where you explained that (genuine question)?

Possibly because the alternative choices at the same price point may ALSO have shortcomings ?

@TomE because I can make it faster by upgrading simple but but now expensive things like the supercharger, transmission and final drive. Something that should've been extremely obvious lotus. The Emira is an awesome car, just not for 100k. For 100k it needs to be 500hp so I'll spend the extra to make it that. Life is short so ill make it work, it just takes more money which I'm not happy about.

I think it's widely known that increasing the power on the V6 is not straightforward or cheap. Komotec have offered upgrades on the V6 for the Evora and Exige which take it to 450/475/500hp. These require reworking or replacement of components, so it quickly gets expensive. Lotus have sold a 430hp V6 tune in the Evora and Exige. On the Evora (with about £10k of carbon parts as well) it was £30k more to buy. If Lotus offered the Emira at £20k more for 30hp extra we'd all be falling around laughing, right before we cancelled our orders.

They've had a 450hp setup running in a development car - going north of this soon reaches the limits of the gearbox and transmission, so you have another major expense to replace those. Lotus could have done the R&D to produce a 500hp V6 Emira, but to do it using the current Toyota and provide a warranty would mean changing all the engine internals, the gearbox and clutch etc. If instead they'd gone for a completely new engine to achieve that kind of power, what would they have chosen? (clue: they did, it's the AMG i4). Realistically the V6 has another 3-4 years life before EU emissions rules kill it. So they weren't going to invest in getting it to 500hp and they appear to feel they don't need to offer that kind of power at launch. I guess we'll get a 430hp Final Edition in a couple of years.

The i4 is capable of 500hp more easily than uprating the V6. But they couldn't achieve that for launch and won't get there for another 1-2 years. Just because AMG and tuners can get it to 500hp in other applications doesn't automatically mean Lotus can get to 500hp as easily in the Emira. The current 360hp setup isn't straightforward.

Of course you can spend money as you suggest, to take a V6 Emira to 500hp yourself. It'll probably be £20k+.

If the power matters so much, why not just buy a 500hp car that costs $100k rather than an "underpowered and slow" Emira and have to spend £20k on it?

I can just guess that the same blind to any short comings fanboys of the EMIRA also never complain about their "perfect" spouses either. Just because you married someone, you cannot complain about their short comings ? and if you bitch, then you should be questioned as why you married them anyway ? Isn't life full of compromises ? And if NOT then I assume everyone here has never complained about their spouses, OR they just have very low standards or low self esteem ?

Possibly because the alternative choices at the same price point may ALSO have shortcomings ?
Right, so no single car completely satisfies everything he's looking for. And hence some compromises have to be made on what to prioritise and what to overlook. Some things can possible be fixed afterwards through upgrades.

I'm still curious why you'd buy a car that appears to have a significant shortfall in an area that seems to be important to you.

I can just guess that the same blind to any short comings fanboys of the EMIRA also never complain about their "perfect" spouses either. Just because you married someone, you cannot complain about their short comings ? and if you bitch, then you should be questioned as why you married them anyway ? Isn't life full of compromises ? And if NOT then I assume everyone here has never complained about their spouses, OR they just have very low standards or low self esteem ?
The difference is he hasn't married her yet. We're asking him why he's still dating her if she doesn't meet his expectations. Maybe he'll explain why he loves her despite those shortcomings. At the moment he seems to be suggesting he'll marry her anyway, then pay for surgery.

Right, so no single car completely satisfies everything he's looking for. And hence some compromises have to be made on what to prioritise and what to overlook. Some things can possible be fixed afterwards through upgrades.

I'm still curious why you'd buy a car that appears to have a significant shortfall in an area that seems to be important to you.

For the same reason I purchased a luxury SUV, knowing that it will ( and already has had) reliability issues. I want the features, size, interior room, and options ONLY available from this brand (Lincoln Navigator) despite me knowing well in advance that I will be at the service Dept quite often. I could have bought a boring bland reliable Lexus(Toyota) instead, but I tolerate the annoyance of frequent service calls for the other positives that no Lexus would never offer.

Doesn't mean I should stop complaining everytime I have to be inconvenienced by another time consuming visit to the service Dept, despite it being covered by warrantee. In fact, I plan on dumping this SUV right before the warranty is expired. BUT... I will buy another "pain in the butt" Lincoln Navigator to replace it regardless.

Compromises.

Last edited:
For the same reason I purchased a luxury SUV, knowing that it will ( and already has had) reliability issues. I want the features, size, interior room, and options ONLY available from this brand (Lincoln Navigator) despite me knowing well in advance that I will be at the service Dept quite often. I could have bought a boring bland reliable Lexus(Toyota) instead, but I tolerate the annoyance of frequent service calls for the other positives that no Lexus would never offer.

Doesn't mean I should stop complaining everytime I have to be inconvenienced by another time consuming visit to the service Dept, despite it being covered by warrantee. In fact, I plan on dumping this SUV right before the warranty is expired. BUT... I will buy another "pain in the butt" Lincoln Navigator to replace it regardless.

Compromises.

I get all that and of course there are compromises. I'm asking @4GIV8M3 about the specifics of the balance of positives and negatives he's weighing up regarding the Emira. He's mentioned shortcomings that I can see might be legitimate reasons not to buy the car. But he's still buying one, so there must be some positives that over-ride those shortcomings. I'm curious what those are, particularly if he'd then spend another stack of money fixing stuff.

Sports cars only became popular here after returning servicemen brought their MGs back from England. They were woefully underpowered compared to the big engined American iron, but they offered handling and feel that the larger cars couldn’t. These “sports” cars came into their own on tight and twisty roads. Unfortunately, many areas of America are flat, with straight roads (the previous poster lives in such an area). Here, cars that people wanted were fast in a straight line. A small MG would get swallowed up on a wide, arrow straight, highway. I’m fortunate enough to live in an area that’s full of hills and turns- perfect environment for a car that’s focused towards handling over power. I used to love going around the outside of muscle cars heading up and down the mountains in my 1992 Miata. Wiped the smile right off of their smug faces 🙂.
Exactly. I would LOVE having a great handling sports car driving a curvy road. Here the closest we get to that is the onramp.

Weakness of where I live not the car but every car is not designed for every situation I get that. It’s hard to walk away because it’s so freaking beautiful and I do really like the idea of having a bit of a niche car brand.

at least for me the answer is two: first and foremost it’s so damn good looking I swear it cast a spell on me. Second for some reason I don’t really know I like the lotus brand and want to own one even though I’ve never been around them and never once been in one.

What you and the other guy with the cryptic name don't get is that it just isn't a shortcoming for everyone of us. It might be for you, and that's fine, but I for example see me driving the Emira on twisty roads, tight race tracks and on road trips where I won't scare my co-driver to death when hitting the accelerator, therefore in my case 400 hp is more than enough, because I couldn't even use more power than that. I learned that when we got our Miata/MX-5. 160 hp and you can exploit them to death after every corner, rev the engine like crazy, never go below 5000 rpm, and still you are always in control and don't have to go to jail.
Heavy acceleration generates fun in it's own of course and I love it as well. If this one thing is so important to you I suggest an EV ;) I have one and knowing that my daily is way faster than my Emira ever will be is somewhat strange, but no problem for me, because I also know the downsides of it.

Depends if Complaining is a way of life, or scoring points. Knowing and accepting the quirks goes both ways. It's called compatibility.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if you aren't a troll or something. Adding more power most certainly does effect emissions AND mileage, as well as requiring upgrading the brakes, the chassis, the shock and spring rates, etc. Everything they do to a car has to pass homologation in order to certify it to be sold. Did you know they have to write off about 70 cars in order to pass all those tests? That's all part of the expense of development. They're not some weekend garage monkey who can just add components without having to pass any kind of inspection. Plus they have to warranty everything for at least 3 years, which means extensive (and expensive) testing over any and all conditions to ensure everything holds together and doesn't break.

Lotus doesn't "lack understanding", they have far more than you realize.
There are 2 obvious trolls on this forum who use the standard devices:
Alternative facts
Unsubstantiated assertions as fact
Rewrite the argument to substantiate some other point
Use attacking language
Etc

There is absolutely no point to engage with them

There are 2 obvious trolls on this forum who use the standard devices:
Alternative facts
Unsubstantiated assertions as fact
Rewrite the argument to substantiate some other point
Use attacking language
Etc

There is absolutely no point to engage with them
Exactly. I've just blocked the 2 trolls. For anyone who hasn't discovered it, just click on the user name, hit ignore, and all the petty, negative drivel magically disappears. As far as I am concerned alternative viewpoints and respectful debate are welcome, attention seeking trolling isn't.

Exactly. I've just blocked the 2 trolls. For anyone who hasn't discovered it, just click on the user name, hit ignore, and all the petty, negative drivel magically disappears. As far as I am concerned alternative viewpoints and respectful debate are welcome, attention seeking trolling isn't.
Thanks. Just done that and works a treat!

Couldn't agree more, it was quite transparent so I quickly decided to ignore and deprive of oxygen. I'm always up for debate but reasoning with people who do not understand what constitutes a "fact" or how to apply reason is an exercise in futility.

Lol I blocked them over 2 months ago

Out and out Power isn't a factor for me and my primary usage (Driving on Twisty mountain roads)
I have a S2 Exige 190BHP and an Audi R8 V8. Both great cars in their own right, but very different and both great at different things.
20210912_151217.jpg

The Exige with only 190BHP is amazing on the Twisty mountain roads and is such an amazing car in the way it handles, I really don't miss the power at all. If I was on a dragstrip then it wouldn't be the car for that purpose.
It really does depend on what you want from your car. When I bought my R8, I did think about getting the V10 but my main purpose for buying it was looks. The V10 is amazing but I can't really use the 440BHP of the V8 on the roads, so that's why I bought the V8 and it hasn't disappointed me.

I primarily buy on looks, handling that is engaging and that's why I am looking to get into the Emira.
If it's out and out power or BHP bragging rights, then the Emira probably isn't the car for you.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back