• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

12mm spacers, seems a bit much on front

lynchy73

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Looking for advice regards wheel spacers on a standard emira (12mm spacers). Rear wheels look ok, just about flush, if I had the option, would probably push them in maybe 2mm, but not bad IMO.

The fronts however do seem to be poking out a little much for my taste. I think a 6mm spacer on the front might be about right. I’m all for getting the rims flush or slightly inset, but not a fan of wheels poking out.

What have others done? Any suggestions? Some pics attached FYI.

Attachments

• IMG_7423.jpeg
    IMG_7423.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_7422.jpeg
    IMG_7422.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_7424.jpeg
    IMG_7424.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_7425.jpeg
    IMG_7425.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_7426.jpeg
    IMG_7426.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 145
agressive offset is fine when the car is lowered.

The more you lower the car, the more the wheels go inside the fender.

So you need to find the sweet spot balance between wheel offset and lowering the suspension.

If you lower the car like mine to have 1.5 finger at front and 2 fingers at back distance between the tire and the fender you can fit 10-12mm easily to be flush with the car body.

agressive offset is fine when the car is lowered.

The more you lower the car, the more the wheels go inside the fender.

So you need to find the sweet spot balance between wheel offset and lowering the suspension.

If you lower the car like mine to have 1.5 finger at front and 2 fingers at back distance between the tire and the fender you can fit 10-12mm easily to be flush with the car body.
What offset (versus standard) are you running on your lowered Emira?

I get that you need more offset when lowered, but I still do feel the standard Emira needs a little more offset than standard to avoid the wheels looking slightly inset (when lowered the Emira looks noticeably/significantly inset on standard wheels IMO).

May as well keep it stock at 6mm.
I can personally see the difference from a 6mm spacer. Would look silly with 12mm on the rear and standard on the front.

You can’t just pick any offset spacer on the Emira (if you want to avoid possible issues). So far as I understand, if you go 6mm or less with a shim type spacer, then you can use the centre bore from standard hub to properly centre the wheel. To have a true hub centric spacer it must be a minimum of 12mm with the Emira hub. Without a centre bore to properly locate the wheel, you can easily get vibration issues.

I get that you need more offset when lowered, but I still do feel the standard Emira needs a little more offset than standard to avoid the wheels looking slightly inset (when lowered the Emira looks noticeably/significantly inset on standard wheels IMO).

I can personally see the difference from a 6mm spacer. Would look silly with 12mm on the rear and standard on the front.

You can’t just pick any offset spacer on the Emira (if you want to avoid possible issues). So far as I understand, if you go 6mm or less with a shim type spacer, then you can use the centre bore from standard hub to properly centre the wheel. To have a true hub centric spacer it must be a minimum of 12mm with the Emira hub. Without a centre bore to properly locate the wheel, you can easily get vibration issues.
Greg will be releasing their own 12mm concentric spacers later this month and I have asked to be put down for a set. I have done some measurement on my car which is 15mm lowered and I am sure it will be fine.

I run the 10mm spacers and the lowering kit from Gregs race parts but have vibration and look forward to get their new 12mm spacers to get rid of that.

Attachments

• 3F011A83-A893-4C30-A7E9-C5925EA6CA52.jpeg
    3F011A83-A893-4C30-A7E9-C5925EA6CA52.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 172C3ACA-FA5E-46DA-915F-52AC508A2199.jpeg
    172C3ACA-FA5E-46DA-915F-52AC508A2199.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 5C490ACB-4F75-439D-9E17-8A7799362A4E.jpeg
    5C490ACB-4F75-439D-9E17-8A7799362A4E.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 77
  • 75394A52-2C3A-4CEC-B17A-B184D80C2190.jpeg
    75394A52-2C3A-4CEC-B17A-B184D80C2190.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 76
I used the lowering kit from Greg and maxed it out at 25mm. Then I installed the 10mm spacers which yes, provided a horrible vibration and I immediately removed them. But while I had both items on the car, I did feel both front/rear needed at least the 12mm spacer.

I am looking forward to getting the new 12mm hubcentric spacers that Greg is working on. I feel that is going to be the sweet combo.

Greg will be releasing their own 12mm concentric spacers later this month and I have asked to be put down for a set. I have done some measurement on my car which is 15mm lowered and I am sure it will be fine.
I think the 12mm spacer will be fine on a lowered car. Saw a review with the Evolve Emira, which is pretty low and the wheels looked pretty sunken looking.

On my standard car the 12mm spacer is just about ok on the rear, but a little too much on the front. In my book, there’s a very fine line between spot on wheel spacing and trying to hard.

I picked up the PCD 12mm from the UK (see attached), can be purchased on Ebay. Picked up some 45mm bolts (32mm std). Will give myself a few days to get used to this setup, but I suspect I’ll be getting some slimmer spacers for the front.

Not sure I want to lower my car, but wouldn’t be surprised if that happens at some stage, but then the mods start….

Attachments

• IMG_7352.jpeg
    IMG_7352.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7353.jpeg
    IMG_7353.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 19
I run the 10mm spacers and the lowering kit from Gregs race parts but have vibration and look forward to get their new 12mm spacers to get rid of that.
A little more offset on the front will be fine on your lowered setup. The front tyre is still slightly inset from the arch in your picture.

Maybe I’ll get the GRP lowering kit, or maybe coilovers, but need to be careful where I live, there are some bad roads about nearby.

A little more offset on the front will be fine on your lowered setup. The front tyre is still slightly inset from the arch in your picture.

Maybe I’ll get the GRP lowering kit, or maybe coilovers, but need to be careful where I live, there are some bad roads about nearby.
Yep the car can definitely take 12mm spacers easily when the suspension is dropped. I lowered the car a bit more at the front than rear. That’s why it look a bit more shy there.

I think the 12mm spacer will be fine on a lowered car. Saw a review with the Evolve Emira, which is pretty low and the wheels looked pretty sunken looking.

On my standard car the 12mm spacer is just about ok on the rear, but a little too much on the front. In my book, there’s a very fine line between spot on wheel spacing and trying to hard.

I picked up the PCD 12mm from the UK (see attached), can be purchased on Ebay. Picked up some 45mm bolts (32mm std). Will give myself a few days to get used to this setup, but I suspect I’ll be getting some slimmer spacers for the front.

Not sure I want to lower my car, but wouldn’t be surprised if that happens at some stage, but then the mods start….
I ordered mine from PCD as well, but I special ordered 10mm for front and rear instead and they turned out to fit well in my opinion. I was looking for a wider stance look but wanted to avoid making it look too obvious. In my case, I've kept wheels, shocks and height OEM.

I ordered mine from PCD as well, but I special ordered 10mm for front and rear instead and they turned out to fit well in my opinion. I was looking for a wider stance look but wanted to avoid making it look too obvious. In my case, I've kept wheels, shocks and height OEM.
Do your 10mm spacers have a centre bore, to properly centre the wheel (like my 12mm)? Or just a shim with no centre bore?

Any pics of the front/rear wheel fitment after installation?

Attachments

• IMG_7352.jpeg
    IMG_7352.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 10
Do your 10mm spacers have a centre bore, to properly centre the wheel (like my 12mm)? Or just a shim with no centre bore?

Any pics of the front/rear wheel fitment after installation?
Yes they do, and they are exactly in the same specs as the 12mm ones in your picture, except I had PCD make them 10mm thick instead. By the way, they fit perfectly with absolutely no vibration effect. I'll send some pictures tomorrow.

Yes they do, and they are exactly in the same specs as the 12mm ones in your picture, except I had PCD make them 10mm thick instead. By the way, they fit perfectly with absolutely no vibration effect. I'll send some pictures tomorrow.
Good info, I didn’t think you could go to 10mm and still have a centre bore. What length bolts did you use?

Good info, I didn’t think you could go to 10mm and still have a centre bore. What length bolts did you use?
M12x1.5x40_cone_b3bfdbf0-88cc-4cea-9f4f-d5b627913057_compact_cropped.jpg
BMW Titanium Lug Bolts (20 pieces total)
BMW E Series 40mm Shaft Natural Titanium M12x1.5x40
These. I got them from ACER Racing here in the States.

The promised pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
    517.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0995.jpeg
    IMG_0995.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0997.jpeg
    IMG_0997.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0998.jpeg
    IMG_0998.jpeg
    558.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0999.jpeg
    IMG_0999.jpeg
    617.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1001.jpeg
    IMG_1001.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1003.jpeg
    IMG_1003.jpeg
    481.1 KB · Views: 72
I used the lowering kit from Greg and maxed it out at 25mm. Then I installed the 10mm spacers which yes, provided a horrible vibration and I immediately removed them. But while I had both items on the car, I did feel both front/rear needed at least the 12mm spacer.

I am looking forward to getting the new 12mm hubcentric spacers that Greg is working on. I feel that is going to be the sweet combo.
I’m interested to know if you had a full suspension set up when you installed the lowering kit? I ask because you do when you fit coil overs.

I think he wanted to see picture of the spacers itself to see how they look.
To the naked eye, they look exactly like the 12mm ones. You can barely notice a 2mm difference, particularly from a photo shot.
If there's still any doubt that the 10mm ones are also Hub Centric, I assure you all that they are indeed and that they have the lip surrounding the center bore (like the 12mm ones). I wouldn't' have purchased them myself otherwise, as this is exactly what makes the fit precise and vibration free.
I have mine installed already, but even if I were to removed a wheel one wouldn't be able get a better visual than the pictures that PCD posted on eBay for the 12mm ones. If anyone needs any further assistance with regards to special ordering via PCD, I suggest contacting Charlotte at "[email protected]" as she was knowledgeable and very helpful with my special order (they took 3 weeks to arrive in Florida). To special order them, PCD does not want to use the eBay message communication channel. Hope this helps..

Last edited: