• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

📓 Journals Adding Lightness

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
I know the test, it’s not the correct time. It doesn’t take 8.2 seconds to reach 50mph from 30mph. The Toyota Camry does it 4. You mean the supercharged version takes twice as long……
Go put the car in 6th gear at 30mph and floor it. It will take that long I promise.

Go put the car in 6th gear at 30mph and floor it. It will take that long I
That’s a sorry ass showing. Wonder the manual in 6th is such trash? Seems the automatic would cut that in half. Hell the Camry base does it in half the time. Same for a mini cooper.

I know the test, it’s not the correct time. It doesn’t take 8.2 seconds to reach 50mph from 30mph. The Toyota Camry does it 4. You mean the supercharged version takes twice as long……
I agree there has to be something wrong here because my wife’s 110hp 1.4 Vauxhall Mariva SUV weighs nearly as much as does 0-60 in 9 seconds so won’t take 8 to go from 30-50mph. Maybe it was 30-100mph.

After getting the tires switched over from the factory rims to the Aerie rims, I now have the weights of the wheels as they are on the car. This includes tires, TPMS, mounted and balanced.

The factory wheels with Goodyear tires are:
Fronts = 49.81 lbs each, or 99.61 lbs for the pair
Rears = 56 lbs each, or 112 lbs for the pair
This is a total of 221.63 lbs of weight for all 4 factory wheels with everything.

The Aerie wheels with Goodyear tires are:
Fronts = 46.32 lbs each, or 92.64 lbs for the pair
Rears = 47.76 lbs each, or 95.52 lbs for the pair
This is a total of 188.16 lbs of weight for all 4 Aerie wheels with everything.

This is a total savings of 23.47 lbs of unsprung rotating weight for the entire set, which is very good.

Here's the new spreadsheet that shows the most current and accurate numbers I have for everything. The car's stock weight is calculated based on the actual measured weight of 3,240 lbs, which was with the Antigravity battery. I added the difference in weight between the factory and Antigravity battery, to get the car's factory stock weight. This was with a full tank of gas.

The HP from the factory is 400 which is at the crank, and the 417.86 I have is the calculated addition at the crank from the Eventuri, which added 16.5 hp to the rear wheels. By adding in the drivetrain loss factor of 7.6%, I calculated the Eventuri added 17.6 hp at the crank. I did this strictly for the weight-to-power (W/P) calculation which is usually based on the crank HP.

The wheels (x2) are the weights with everything, tires and all. The difference in weight between the factory lug bolts and the titanium ones are also included.

The Eventuri is a half pound lighter than stock which doesn't make any practical difference at all, but I included it just to be thorough.

At the bottom is the calculated weight of 3,215.15 lbs my car should now have, which gives me a W/P ratio of 7.69 with a full tank of gas. After I get everything put back together, I'll run over to the weight scale and get an actual weight, but it should be pretty close. (I still have to do the oil change and look at the wheel well liners, but it was 107 yesterday and it's supposed to be 107 again today. It's been like this for almost 4 weeks. The garage never cools off below 85 so the heat is just killin' me.)

If I can get a video of what GRP's titanium exhaust sounds like with the 3rd cat installed (no delete), and it's reasonably within the volume level of the factory exhaust, I'll get it. That would save another 16.8 lbs, which would get my car just under 3,200 lbs at 3,198. Assuming it would add just 7 hp, that would put me at a W/P ratio of 7.53 which is right at what a C8 3LT/Z51 is. This would be with a factory stock engine, and all 3 cats in place. Not bad!

View attachment 48083
Great post and I love the time you put in to provide so much detail.
I wonder what the figures would be with a performance exhaust and 3rd car delete?

You guys seem to be forgetting that the Emira has to be geared for 180mph+.
In 6th at 30mph it’s barely ticking over.

Using this test to compare it to poxy little crap boxes that top out at 120 is meaningless.

Tell you what, I’ll jump in my car now and do this test. I bet it’ll be closer to 8 seconds than 4.

Stand by! :)

You guys seem to be forgetting that the Emira has to be geared for 180mph+.
In 6th at 30mph it’s barely ticking over.

Using this test to compare it to poxy little crap boxes that top out at 120 is meaningless.

Tell you what, I’ll jump in my car now and do this test. I bet it’ll be closer to 8 seconds than 4.

Stand by! :)
Tell me this isn’t a 6th gear pull is it? If it is I stand to be corrected and didn’t read all the posts. Hopefully you will be in third. 😝

It’s nearly 0300 here in the UK but I’m going wait and see your results before my eyelids implode. 🤣

Great post and I love the time you put in to provide so much detail.
I wonder what the figures would be with a performance exhaust and 3rd car delete?
I don't know if the 3rd cat delete frees up any power or not. I was under the impression it was mostly for sound, but maybe if GRP can do their dyno runs we can find out. A delete along with a performance exhaust is going to show some gains, but how much of that would just be the exhaust? This is why I'm waiting to see what GRP's test results are.

Right now the only thing holding me back is volume level with his titanium exhaust. I really don't want the car louder. I heard Stradman's videos and that's not what I want. The tone and sound quality was good, but he also has the 3rd cat delete and for me it's just too loud.

I would expect that simply combining his titanium exhaust with the Eventuri should provide a nice lift in torque and power. It would allow the engine to breathe better and improve efficiency. If the Eventuri was able to free up 16.5 hp, I would hope the exhaust would at least be able to add half that. Usually exhausts add more than cold air intakes. If it actually matched that, then I'd have the 430 of the best Evora, which would be something else.

According to the weather forecast where I'm at, this ridiculous heat wave will break Friday and temps will drop down into the mid-90's, getting down into the high 60's at night. Once that happens, I'll be able get some things done with the car by being able to spend more time out there in the garage. Right now all I have to do is just stand there for 5 minutes, and sweat is already running down my face.

In my big write-up earlier I didn't post any pictures, so here's a couple photos of the factory wheels by themselves, no tires.

Front wheel:

Stock front.jpeg

Rear wheel:

Stock rear.jpeg

Aerie front with tire, TPMS and balance weights:

Aerie Front w:tire.jpeg

Aerie rear with tire, TPMS and balance weights:

Aerie rear w:tire.jpeg

Last edited:
Tell me this isn’t a 6th gear pull is it? If it is I stand to be corrected and didn’t read all the posts. Hopefully you will be in third. 😝

It’s nearly 0300 here in the UK but I’m going wait and see your results before my eyelids implode. 🤣

Haha! Yes it is.

I did the test. Results entirely predictable.

I set the cruise control to 48kmh (30mph) in 6th gear. The engine was literally doing 1000rpm on the dot.
I then floored it and hit the stopwatch, noting the elapsed time as I passed 80kmh (50mph).
Did this routine three times and got times between 8.1 and 8.3 seconds.
Case closed.

Conclusions:
It's a stupid test in a 290kmh sportscar (I would say it's a stupid test anyway)​
Anyone driving around in 6th at 30mph should hand their licence in​
Anyway, sorry for the thread drift and we can now go back to adding lightness! :)

After getting the tires switched over from the factory rims to the Aerie rims, I now have the weights of the wheels as they are on the car. This includes tires, TPMS, mounted and balanced.

The factory wheels with Goodyear tires are:
Fronts = 49.81 lbs each, or 99.61 lbs for the pair
Rears = 56 lbs each, or 112 lbs for the pair
This is a total of 221.63 lbs of weight for all 4 factory wheels with everything.

The Aerie wheels with Goodyear tires are:
Fronts = 46.32 lbs each, or 92.64 lbs for the pair
Rears = 47.76 lbs each, or 95.52 lbs for the pair
This is a total of 188.16 lbs of weight for all 4 Aerie wheels with everything.

This is a total savings of 23.47 lbs of unsprung rotating weight for the entire set, which is very good.

Here's the new spreadsheet that shows the most current and accurate numbers I have for everything. The car's stock weight is calculated based on the actual measured weight of 3,240 lbs, which was with the Antigravity battery. I added the difference in weight between the factory and Antigravity battery, to get the car's factory stock weight. This was with a full tank of gas.

The HP from the factory is 400 which is at the crank, and the 417.86 I have is the calculated addition at the crank from the Eventuri, which added 16.5 hp to the rear wheels. By adding in the drivetrain loss factor of 7.6%, I calculated the Eventuri added 17.6 hp at the crank. I did this strictly for the weight-to-power (W/P) calculation which is usually based on the crank HP.

The wheels (x2) are the weights with everything, tires and all. The difference in weight between the factory lug bolts and the titanium ones are also included.

The Eventuri is a half pound lighter than stock which doesn't make any practical difference at all, but I included it just to be thorough.

At the bottom is the calculated weight of 3,215.15 lbs my car should now have, which gives me a W/P ratio of 7.69 with a full tank of gas. After I get everything put back together, I'll run over to the weight scale and get an actual weight, but it should be pretty close. (I still have to do the oil change and look at the wheel well liners, but it was 107 yesterday and it's supposed to be 107 again today. It's been like this for almost 4 weeks. The garage never cools off below 85 so the heat is just killin' me.)

If I can get a video of what GRP's titanium exhaust sounds like with the 3rd cat installed (no delete), and it's reasonably within the volume level of the factory exhaust, I'll get it. That would save another 16.8 lbs, which would get my car just under 3,200 lbs at 3,198. Assuming it would add just 7 hp, that would put me at a W/P ratio of 7.53 which is right at what a C8 3LT/Z51 is. This would be with a factory stock engine, and all 3 cats in place. Not bad!

View attachment 48083
Impact of changing out the seats, at what, 50 lbs each?

Haha! Yes it is.

I did the test. Results entirely predictable.

I set the cruise control to 48kmh (30mph) in 6th gear. The engine was literally doing 1000rpm on the dot.
I then floored it and hit the stopwatch, noting the elapsed time as I passed 80kmh (50mph).
Did this routine three times and got times between 8.1 and 8.3 seconds.
Case closed.

Conclusions:
It's a stupid test in a 290kmh sportscar (I would say it's a stupid test anyway)​
Anyone driving around in 6th at 30mph should hand their licence in​
Anyway, sorry for the thread drift and we can now go back to adding lightness! :)
Thank you for sacrificing your honor and dignity in the name of science, by testing something that nobody needs ever lol. I agree, back to adding lightness which is much preferred to adding clowness.

Last edited:
Impact of changing out the seats, at what, 50 lbs each?
According to @Tillet, swapping out the factory seats with his setup saves 66 lbs which is significant. Just with what I have now (not adding the titanium exhaust) that would lower my vehicle weight to 3,149 lbs which would give me a W/P ratio of 7.54. A Corvette C8 3LT/Z51 has a W/P ratio of 7.57 to give you an idea of what kind of performance that is. Essentially they'd be the same, however the Emira modded like that would have the advantage of being about 600 lbs lighter than the C8, so even with the same W/P ratio the Emira is going to be lighter on its feet and better in the corners.

All this fun costs though, which is why the C8 is such a great value for the dollar. That spec as above is about the same price as just an Emira FE. When you start adding up the cost of the mods for the Emira, you can spend money quick. Eventuri: $1,545, Aerie Wheels: (with shipping and all) $3,300, Antigravity battery: $800-$900, Tillet seats: around $3,600+ I believe?, GRP titanium exhaust: $2,600, etc. You can easily climb up over $10,000 and keep going if you keep changing things.

If you don't do the seats, that'll keep you under $10k and you'll have a car that is at least equal in performance to a Z51, but looks better (IMO), is far more unique and it's a Lotus. I was fortunate enough to get my car at the original $94k price, so for me this mod list (minus the seats) isn't bad at all. I'm still less than the current MSRP for a V6 FE. I consider myself very fortunate and blessed!

According to the latest throttle house video vs the Z06, the Emira is quicker around the track than the Z51.

Titanium lug bolts saves a pound and a half....View attachment 47820View attachment 47821
Good stuff, and I've done the same (or similar) swap on mine but, to be a bit more technically honest, we need to add the weight of the spacers and subtract the weight of the special socket for the lock bolts in your emergency kit that you'll no longer need. Every gram counts..

According to @Tillet, swapping out the factory seats with his setup saves 66 lbs which is significant. Just with what I have now (not adding the titanium exhaust) that would lower my vehicle weight to 3,149 lbs which would give me a W/P ratio of 7.54. A Corvette C8 3LT/Z51 has a W/P ratio of 7.57 to give you an idea of what kind of performance that is. Essentially they'd be the same, however the Emira modded like that would have the advantage of being about 600 lbs lighter than the C8, so even with the same W/P ratio the Emira is going to be lighter on its feet and better in the corners.

All this fun costs though, which is why the C8 is such a great value for the dollar. That spec as above is about the same price as just an Emira FE. When you start adding up the cost of the mods for the Emira, you can spend money quick. Eventuri: $1,545, Aerie Wheels: (with shipping and all) $3,300, Antigravity battery: $800-$900, Tillet seats: around $3,600+ I believe?, GRP titanium exhaust: $2,600, etc. You can easily climb up over $10,000 and keep going if you keep changing things.

If you don't do the seats, that'll keep you under $10k and you'll have a car that is at least equal in performance to a Z51, but looks better (IMO), is far more unique and it's a Lotus. I was fortunate enough to get my car at the original $94k price, so for me this mod list (minus the seats) isn't bad at all. I'm still less than the current MSRP for a V6 FE. I consider myself very fortunate and blessed!
Your list of mods are in line with my aspirations. You’ve mentioned GRP’s titanium exhaust and the Tillet seats as next steps. Have you considered a Nitron suspension setup? I don’t know the exact weight savings (depends on which setup you go for I would think) but I thought I saw someone post a weight savings similar to forged wheels or the titanium exhaust over stock…

This morning it was semi-cool enough out in the garage that I started to do the oil change. When I got under the car to remove the bolts holding the underbody pan at the back of the car, to my great surprise I see one of the bolts hanging halfway out. Two had already fallen out and were long gone. With the exception of two bolts, none of them were tight. I was literally able to remove them with my fingertips; I didn't even need a socket. I don't know if it was this way from the factory, or if the dealership had removed them for PDI, but either way I was shocked to say the least. Needless to say, I'm now going to check every bolt under the car and tighten them all to spec, just as a precaution.

I'll get two more bolts from the hardware store to replace the ones that are missing, but I'm now thinking of going through everything I can see, just to check and make sure. I noticed that while the bolts have a green mark on them, the mark doesn't extend onto the body pan. Usually they do, to verify that they were torqued to spec. Just seems odd.

If anybody thinks changing the oil at the 1,000 mile mark isn't necessary, here's the oil from my car. This is what's left after almost all the oil was drained out of the drain pan after it drained out of the car. This is zoomed in of course, but those tiny flecks of metal aren't gold.

IMG_3378.jpeg

The wheel hubs had some rust and looked a bit messy after I removed the factory wheels.

IMG_3379.jpeg

Here's what they looked like after I worked them over with some NevrDull.
IMG_3381.jpeg

IMG_3380.jpeg

I want to change the gear oil in the transaxle but I can't seem to find where the drain plug is, or the refill hole. The manual only shows the auto trans, unless I'm just not seeing where it's at in the manual. Anybody know?

Back