đź““ Journals Adding Lightness

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
It does

IMG_5223.jpeg

Would be interested for your thoughts on the additive effects of these mods on torque. The Jubu 440 ECU kit has been optimised to max out at 500Nm which I gather is the limit for the standard Toyota V6 engine before strengthened parts such as forged pistons and conrods are needed. Would a Jubu 440 ECU plus a 3rd cat delete and Eventuri intake push the torque above 500Nm? Or put another way, to avoid expensive engine upgrades (or a blown engine) would the Jubu ECU programming have to be modified to reduce torque to compensate for any increase provided by the other modifications?
I haven't looked at the specs of the Jubu 440 tune, but I'd be very surprised if it's able to deliver that much more torque with only a 40 hp increase in power. 500 Nm translates to about 368 ft lbs of torque which I believe is the limit for the transmission more than the engine.. My car stock showed only 303 ft lbs, and the Eventuri took it up to 318 which is still well under the limit of 368. I don't think the 3rd cat delete will have any effect on torque, just sound mostly. I'll have to look up Jubu's tune and see what they're claiming.

Okay, after having just looked at their website, they're claiming quite a dramatic increase in torque. An additional 100 Nm is 73 ft lbs. They're saying that it's the engine that has the limit, but I was under the impression it's the manual trans. Maybe they're thinking of the auto trans? If you're going to get their tune, I would definitely recommend telling them about the Eventuri as that would push things over the limit they claim the stock engine has. Obviously this would void your warranty, and undoubtedly blow your emissions compliance out the window as well. There's also a possibility your insurance company might cancel your policy. It certainly has interesting numbers though.

Last edited:
Jubu actually limits torque to 500nm on all the packages that don’t include a built engine. Both the 440 and 460 tunes have 500nm.

IMG_5225.jpeg

The 460 package actually comes with a smaller pulley to lower boost pressure

IMG_5226.jpeg

Last edited:
Jubu actually limits torque to 500nm on all the packages that don’t include a built engine. Both the 440 and 460 tunes have 500nm.

View attachment 47606

The 460 package actually comes with a smaller pulley to power boost pressure

View attachment 47608
I wonder if that comment about the factory boost pressure applies to the Emira, as opposed to the Evoras which were 416 to 430 hp?

I haven't looked at the specs of the Jubu 440 tune, but I'd be very surprised if it's able to deliver that much more torque with only a 40 hp increase in power. 500 Nm translates to about 368 ft lbs of torque which I believe is the limit for the transmission more than the engine.. My car stock showed only 303 ft lbs, and the Eventuri took it up to 318 which is still well under the limit of 368. I don't think the 3rd cat delete will have any effect on torque, just sound mostly. I'll have to look up Jubu's tune and see what they're claiming.

Okay, after having just looked at their website, they're claiming quite a dramatic increase in torque. An additional 100 Nm is 73 ft lbs. They're saying that it's the engine that has the limit, but I was under the impression it's the manual trans. Maybe they're thinking of the auto trans? If you're going to get their tune, I would definitely recommend telling them about the Eventuri as that would push things over the limit they claim the stock engine has. Obviously this would void your warranty, and undoubtedly blow your emissions compliance out the window as well. There's also a possibility your insurance company might cancel your policy. It certainly has interesting numbers though.
I think the manual gearbox Lotus uses in the Emira is intended for use in combination with a diesel engine so can probably take more torque as a consequence. Maybe the auto box is not as strong. I’m interested in the Jubu 440 ECU as I suspect an extra 100Nm will make a noticeable difference when accelerating from low revs (not to mention the extra 40hp) and the rev limit can be raised to 7,200 rpm. There is also an auto blip option for rev matching on downshifts. But it would seem the Jubu 440 ECU can’t be used in combination with other performance improvements without strengthening the engine or managing torque so it does not exceed 500Nm.

It's just a transmission for high torque FWD applications, not made specifically for diesels. Diesels just aren't that popular outside of Europe and even there is for efficient low power applications. The BG6 is mostly used with larger torque heavy gas engines.

I was told by Martyn at JUBU 450hp was the limit for the V6 auto and 500hp was the limit for the manual. If you check the Nm on their 500hp kit it will be within limits for the manual gearbox.
As both the 440 and 460 kits are Syvecs the torque can be limited easily so won’t be an issue adding the Eventuri on the 440 as it won’t go past the 460hp safe level for a non built engine.
If their 440 demo car had a performance drop in filter the Eventuri will probably do 8-10 more.

I have the same, all 3, and always have the valves open - unless arriving home late at night, then I shut the valve and its significantly quiet and won't wake up the neighborhood.

All have installed Skinz sound deadening to both doors and the whole of the rear compartment / engine bulkhead, which helps massively with holding a conversation with the passenger, phone calls, no more stone flicking noise, listening to music on the motorways etc, if this helps you?
Was it hard to do the doors and was the bulkhead panel fitted in the engine bay or cabin?

With the jubu 440 increase in power and RPM I feel the car will not be lacking at all, not it really is much anyways.

Was it hard to do the doors and was the bulkhead panel fitted in the engine bay or cabin?
Not hard, just time consuming to cut everything to shape.
I stripped out the rear cabin trims to install everything back there. (See attached pics).
It took me around 10 days to do everything neatly and without any rushing.
A box of Skinz is around ÂŁ120 in the UK.

Attachments

• IMG_1228.jpeg
    IMG_1228.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1226.png
    IMG_1226.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1225.png
    IMG_1225.png
    707.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1223.png
    IMG_1223.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1224.png
    IMG_1224.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
My goal is to improve performance by reducing weight and improving drivetrain efficiency, which won't have any negative effects on the engine or trans.
I’m curious what your dealer will say about the intake modifications. Seems to be a crap shoot one to the next with some flat out voiding the power train warranty and noting the vehicle file as such even if the OEM is ever put back on.

Same for cat delete pipe. People can say Magnuson-Moss all day but it’s not I fight I’d like to have. I hope your dealer is one that appreciates the small modifications that don’t harm the vehicle.

I’m curious what your dealer will say about the intake modifications. Seems to be a crap shoot one to the next with some flat out voiding the power train warranty and noting the vehicle file as such even if the OEM is ever put back on.

Same for cat delete pipe. People can say Magnuson-Moss all day but it’s not I fight I’d like to have. I hope your dealer is one that appreciates the small modifications that don’t harm the vehicle.
The closest dealer for me is 360 miles away in south Salt Lake City, Utah. Since I'm going to be doing my own fluid changes, the only reason why I'd need to go to the dealer would be if it's something I can't do myself. I'm almost at 1,200 miles, and the car has been fantastic; no problems. I may schedule one trip just for any software updates, and for the water shield for the front resistor, but none of that has anything to do with a cold-air intake. I haven't deleted the 3rd cat nor am I going to.

I don't know how to run a dyno, so I just trusted the operator to know what he was doing. It was the same guy, same dyno, so I figured the results would be representative of the actual gains the Eventuri provided. We're at an altitude a little over 2,700 ft.

I can tell you there is a definite difference. I noticed it right away just from starting the car. The engine stability is noticeable. No vibration in the shift lever. The car now feels more lively right from the start, instead of waiting until I get up above 3k rpms before it really starts to feel like it's pulling. The feel is the same now all the way up the rpm range. It feels exactly like the performance curves on the dyno chart show.

We have ridiculously hot weather right now, so I'm not out driving. We've had 100+ for the last few days, and that's projected to continue for another 8 days. It should feel stronger in even cooler weather.

I'll probably do the engine and gear oil change next Tuesday (gotta do everything thing in the morning before it heats up outside). My Aerie wheels are supposed to arrive on Monday, so I'll put the car up in the air to change those out, and do everything else at the same time the wheels are all off. This includes removing the wheel well liners and putting sound dampening material on them.

The reduction in unsprung rotating

weight the wheels provide, should make a nice improvement.
Can we finally put to bed:
Emira is a lesser car than the Evora and the i4 will be superior for its tunability.
Gains are possible. Add lightness.
Its a special car across the board. Void the warranty all you want and enjoy the drive. I am.

Not really disagreeing with you about the car or the engine.

But, if the argument to "The I4 will be able to make more power cheaper" is "you can just add lightness". There's really nothing preventing an i4 owner from doing the same.

I'm still not out of my break-in miles, so I can't really definitively say much about the rev-range and power up top etc.

But constantly comparing to other cars, and having to self justify is not an armor that will last particularly long against the doubts.

The car is only lesser to the Evora, if you believe that. If you think the scale tips in it's favor because it is 'sharper' or more track ready or whatever other measure. Styling? Interior quality? Modern car options? Admiration of those who recognize (or maybe don't) what you are driving? The privilege of being able to own (what we presume) the last ICE Lotus that follows their driver's car DNA?

The Evora GT is a great car, the Emira is a great car. I don't think anyone is claiming the Emira is the best car. Frankly, it's not even necessarily the best car for the money. You could spend on a used market and get something like a 981 GT4.

The truth is if money was no object the collective first choice would not be an Emira. That's fine, it's the right car for the right price at the right time. But if someone offered to trade me to a 911 GT3RS? or 718 GT4RS? Yeah, I'm pretty sure I and many others would take that trade. May be some who would find either of those too 'race car' too 'raw and uncomfortable'. But the notion that you'd bridge that gap in value and experience by paying more money to reduce the car's weight or bump the HP, I think misses the point.

The Emira properly targeted it's competition, Cayman GTS 4.0. From most people's take, it beats it in many areas that will matter to anyone with an Emira as a 2nd /3rd car. The unfortunate reality (or maybe fortunate for Lotus?) is that the rivalry between those cars is dead before the Emira got out of the stable. The Cayman GTS is no more, not in Europe, soon not in North America. There will always be a ghost of what could have been, between those two cars, between the brands. Scrapping to release a next 'special upgrade' to the GTS to give it edge, Lotus releasing an Emira S, with more aero, an HP bump, carbon bucket seats.

But I think we all see the writing on the wall. Without such a rivalry and competition in the segment, and with Lotus cars moving entirely into EV, these kinds of changes, improvements, evolutions, just aren't likely. That will be up to the community. Install some Tillett B10s, look into Ohlins for dampers. Find some wheels that shed some pounds and make you stand out. Splurge on a swan neck wing. Make your own Emira S or GT or R.

Evora is a great car, but only sold 6,100 units over an 11 year period. The Emira has sold nearly that many units in ~2 years.

Based on that alone, I’m not sure most people would agree with your statement.
Pretty sure he is referencing performance and raw race car feeling. The Emira is softer and less performance based GT car. That is why they sold more not because it performs better.

Back