📓 Journals Adding Lightness

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
I have been a dyno operator, which is the root of my questioning. I am not questioning that you saw gains from the intake! Far from it. It looks like a very legit product.

What I'm scratching my head about is the slight disconnect in the displayed data between the calculated/applied correction factor and the indicated weather conditions. If I were the dyno operator I would want to sanity check my numbers by pulling up the two run files again, and comparing them uncorrected.
I suppose I can ask him about that next time I see him. I'm tentatively planning on one more dyno run, after I upgrade the engine and transaxle oils, and if I upgrade to ceramic bearings for the wheels.

Sounds good! Thanks for hearing me out, I wasn't trying to derail your thread!

Oh, and do you have any sound captured from it yet? 😃

I took a video of the baseline run, but didn't take one of the Eventuri run. It took him several warm-ups on the original baseline run before he did the actual run, and I was expecting him to do the same for this last one, but he didn't. I was waiting for the warm-ups to start recording, and he just did the run, so I don't have a video of it. However, it sounds like it has more 'bark', a sharper and meaner tone now. Especially at the upper rpms, and that's with the full factory exhaust. It'll probably sound even meaner for you guys doing 3rd cat deletes.

With the Eventuri intake and 3rd cat delete w Milltek, how much louder is it in tour mode with valves closed/oem cruising down the highway?

With the Eventuri intake and 3rd cat delete w Milltek, how much louder is it in tour mode with valves closed/oem cruising down the highway?
I have all three.
But I can't fully answer your question as I have the valves open all the time and always in sport mode.
With the valve controller, sport vs tour makes no difference sound wise.
Sport changes throttle response significantly.
It's definitely loud. It's very "busy" sounding in the cabin.
My wife says it's too noisy in the cabin and she's coming from a Maserati owner's perspective.
I always felt her Maserati was too droney. Especially while cruising on the highway.
I don't find that to be the case with the Lotus. No drone whatsoever.
Differing opinions...take it for what of it is.

I have all three.
But I can't fully answer your question as I have the valves open all the time and always in sport mode.
With the valve controller, sport vs tour makes no difference sound wise.
Sport changes throttle response significantly.
It's definitely loud. It's very "busy" sounding in the cabin.
My wife says it's too noisy in the cabin and she's coming from a Maserati owner's perspective.
I always felt her Maserati was too droney. Especially while cruising on the highway.
I don't find that to be the case with the Lotus. No drone whatsoever.
Differing opinions...take it for what of it is.
I have the same, all 3, and always have the valves open - unless arriving home late at night, then I shut the valve and its significantly quiet and won't wake up the neighborhood.

All have installed Skinz sound deadening to both doors and the whole of the rear compartment / engine bulkhead, which helps massively with holding a conversation with the passenger, phone calls, no more stone flicking noise, listening to music on the motorways etc, if this helps you?

As of today, I'm now free to roam about the cabin as it were:

View attachment 46160

I was going to wait until the dyno run stock to get this started, but I've been accumulating enough things that I think I'll go ahead and get this journal underway.

Here's the first time I saw the car when my sales guy sent me a picture. I bought it from Park Place Lotus in Bellevue, Washington, and Alan Grana was my sales guy. He was great through the whole process right from the day I placed my deposit, all through the long wait until the car arrived.
View attachment 46161

Here's the day it was delivered. My neighbor came out when he saw the truck, and was standing next to me as it was offloaded. This was the first time I'd actually seen an Emira in-the-flesh. I was amazed at how beautiful it was. As good as these look in pictures, photos and videos still can't capture just how beautiful these cars really are.

View attachment 46162

And so the journey began.
Great build looking forward to the results. A nose-to-nose pick would be cool, your yellow accents would contrast with my red. Mine was a 2gen orphan, and the red calipers are my only regret. My order came in 2 months later, but luckily, I prefer the orphan to my original spec.

Great build looking forward to the results. A nose-to-nose pick would be cool, your yellow accents would contrast with my red. Mine was a 2gen orphan, and the red calipers are my only regret. My order came in 2 months later, but luckily, I prefer the orphan to my original spec.
It took me a moment to realize what you meant by "nose-to-nose pick" was actually a photo, a pic instead of pick lol. At first I was thinking what??

I have some graphic elements planned, which I have to go to a place that does car graphics and get them printed out so I can put them on the car. By the time I get it all put together, I think it's going to look pretty good.

Last edited:
I don’t think anyone down under got a factory trickle charger. I certainly didn’t!

It took me a moment to realize what you meant by "nose-to-nose pick" was actually a photo, a pic instead of pick lol. At first I was thinking what??

I have some graphic elements planned, which I have to go to a place that does car graphics and get them printed out so I can put them on the car. By the time it get it all put together, I think it's going to look pretty good.
Yeah auto correct 🤷

Performance mods don't add up like a calculator. The performance gain a mod claims to provide is based on nothing else being changed. As soon as you start changing other things, it's going to alter the results previous mods have provided. Sometimes that's good, and sometimes it isn't. This is why you should always change things one at a time, and make sure what you just changed is working correctly (or as you hoped it would) before changing something else. This makes it a whole lot easier to troubleshoot issues if there are any.

When it comes to power mods, they should add together to some degree, just not the full amount each mod claims. There's always a loss factor of some amount. If you make enough changes to the intake and exhaust, you're probably going to need a custom tune to keep the air/fuel ratio (AFR) in line so the engine doesn't run too lean or too rich. Modern computer controlled engine systems do a pretty good job of making those adjustments automatically, but if you've changed things too much, you might need a manual tune. If you're going to change things like intake and exhaust, let your tuner know ahead of time (like Jubu) so they can factor that in.

As far as power gains, for example (just for easy math) if an Eventuri is adding 20 hp, and you add a Jubu tune claiming 440, you'll get somewhere between 440 and 460. If you then add a less restrictive exhaust, it'll bump it up some more, but not as much as the claims for the exhaust by itself. They do add up, just not completely.
Would be interested for your thoughts on the additive effects of these mods on torque. The Jubu 440 ECU kit has been optimised to max out at 500Nm which I gather is the limit for the standard Toyota V6 engine before strengthened parts such as forged pistons and conrods are needed. Would a Jubu 440 ECU plus a 3rd cat delete and Eventuri intake push the torque above 500Nm? Or put another way, to avoid expensive engine upgrades (or a blown engine) would the Jubu ECU programming have to be modified to reduce torque to compensate for any increase provided by the other modifications?

I just called Boardwalk they are back ordered. They will send it when it arrives.
Probably a good idea to call to let them know you know it is part of the FE package.
It could possibly be region dependent? (Similar to us down under having the internal GPS disabled).

yeah I think it’s regional, I don’t believe UK cars got a trickle charger

Back