Another breakdown! Id happily have my money back now

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
I love this car,but a second occasion where I've been embarrassed and it's immobile.

This time a breakdown at a petrol court ( yes aware its supermarket but I had 20 miles left and it was super unleaded)..

Literally ran fine for an hour,stopped to get fuel,wouldn't start.
Electrics turned on but car wouldn't turn over.

Brake pedal seemed excessively stiff too

On a bright note,the Lotus Roadside assistance is now back in the UK it seems rather than Cyprus after my last complaint on the first breakdown....

It's due to go to Switzerland next month,quite frankly I don't trust it will be faultless .
I shouldn't be feeling this way with a new car,starting to just want my dosh back and look elsewhere 😕

When It works,it's great 🤣

Attachments

• 20230517_192614.mp4
    13.7 MB
Battery? Even if the electrics turn on, that doesn't mean the battery has enough to start the car. These new cars with their computer monitoring systems seem to have a power level threshold detector, so if it doesn't detect the battery output to be above a certain level, the car just won't start. It won't even try.

Battery? Even if the electrics turn on, that doesn't mean the battery has enough to start the car. These new cars with their computer monitoring systems seem to have a power level threshold detector, so if it doesn't detect the battery output to be above a certain level, the car just won't start. It won't even try.
Battery is fine checked over by recovery tonight.
Most likely software related.
But literally ran fine for an hour before stopping

That's crazy, the code should be static since the Emira isn't capable of OTA updates. Keep us posted.

I love this car,but a second occasion where I've been embarrassed and it's immobile.

This time a breakdown at a petrol court ( yes aware its supermarket but I had 20 miles left and it was super unleaded)..

On a bright note,the Lotus Roadside assistance is now back in the UK it seems rather than Cyprus after my last complaint on the first breakdown....

It's due to go to Switzerland next month,quite frankly I don't trust it will be faultless .
I shouldn't be feeling this way with a new car,starting to just want my dosh back and look elsewhere 😕

This is simply inexcusable that Lotus should expect loyal customers to deal with this. I’ve heard many say that if you buy a Lotus you need to be prepared for some quirks and issues. By this point there have been so many issues with the Emira that it should officially be called a lemon. We should all expect and deserve better in a car as pricey as it is. Why buy a car with a track record of being in the shop as much as on the road. Great looks alone don’t make a great car.

That's the problem. Sometimes a battery that's not working properly checks out fine when tested. If you have a battery charger, try a full deep charge. If the battery is okay, it'll go to a full charge and the fully charged light on your charger should light up. If the battery has issues, it will either take a lot longer to charge up, sometimes over night, or the fully charged light will never come on.

Get a battery charger if you don't already have one. It's a relatively cheap way to test the quality of your battery, and it doesn't hurt to have one if you ever need one.

Most roadside assistance in the UK have the kit to test battery capacity as well as voltage. If they have tested it as OK I suspect it is OK and the issue is elsewhere.

We’ve seen examples of intermittent earthing faults causing these types of issues, and faulty sensors, and software faults.

I have mine on CTEK chargers all the time. The Esprit will loose charge in no time such that i have bought an expensive but small sealed lead acid battery (the plates are defo real lead as it weighs a tonne) to which I have attached leads with croc clips and it goes everywhere with the Esprit.
I'll be getting one for the Emira and leaving it in the boot!!

Most roadside assistance in the UK have the kit to test battery capacity as well as voltage. If they have tested it as OK I suspect it is OK and the issue is elsewhere.

We’ve seen examples of intermittent earthing faults causing these types of issues, and faulty sensors, and software faults.
Yeah I would check hardware first; proper ground connection, the battery cables are solidly connected to the battery terminals, etc. A lot of software faults are the result of power stability issues. Digital systems don't like gradual anything; it's either on or off for them.

@Lots_Of_Trouble Nothing to really add but to say that your forum members support you and as you know will try and help when they can. Even if that's listening to your current disappointment. People like me in the back of the line really want early adopters to have a good experience. Battery and software problems seem to plague some new models, hopefully the car physically is good to go.

La maggior parte dell'assistenza stradale nel Regno Unito dispone del kit per testare la capacità della batteria e la tensione. Se l'hanno testato come OK, sospetto che sia OK e il problema è altrove.

Abbiamo visto esempi di guasti di messa a terra intermittenti che causano questo tipo di problemi, sensori difettosi e guasti del software.
effettivamente un mio amico ha avuto lo stesso problema, sotto l'auto, una volta tolta la lamiera che chiude il sotto scocca, c'è il il filo e bullone di massa...controlla che non sia stato erroneamente verniciato....

——-

Moderator note - translation added:
actually a friend of mine had the same problem, under the car, once the sheet metal that closes the underbody has been removed, there is the wire and ground bolt...check that it hasn't been painted by mistake....

Last edited by a moderator:
By this point there have been so many issues with the Emira that it should officially be called a lemon.
I’ve said this on other threads. The US does have a buy back law. I suspect it’s one of the reasons we keep getting delayed because of “emissions” or some other nonsense. If they have to replace these cars with newer models or buy them back with a lemon title it’ll be devastating for them.

There was a software issue which affected the immobiliser, which I thought that an update had resolved. I also thought that it was early cars only and that later cars had the later software. Whatever, leaving the car off for 10 minutes resolved the issue before the update and I haven't had any such reoccurrence since the update.

Hi,
I had a similar issue it turned out the ecu still thought the engine was running and would not allow the starter motor to engage.
AA fix was ctrl/alt/delete ie unplug battery
Apparently software fix due in may 🤷‍♂️
Cause was turning ignition off and on too quickly 🧐

I’ve said this on other threads. The US does have a buy back law. I suspect it’s one of the reasons we keep getting delayed because of “emissions” or some other nonsense. If they have to replace these cars with newer models or buy them back with a lemon title it’ll be devastating for them.
Well this is good news for us, we will most likely get cars with most issues addressed. I hope at least.

That's the problem. Sometimes a battery that's not working properly checks out fine when tested. If you have a battery charger, try a full deep charge. If the battery is okay, it'll go to a full charge and the fully charged light on your charger should light up. If the battery has issues, it will either take a lot longer to charge up, sometimes over night, or the fully charged light will never come on.

Get a battery charger if you don't already have one. It's a relatively cheap way to test the quality of your battery, and it doesn't hurt to have one if you ever need one.
Def not lotus’ fault. They didn’t manufacture the batteries

I just don’t get it. Most of the heavy lifting parts are from the Evora GT. I legitimately expected the thing to just piece together like Lego.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back