• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Any way to fix the brake dust?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi there
The brake dust on these cars is pretty nuts.
Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

Either pads or some sort of treatment I can put on the wheels?
Thanks a ton

Thanks to Airen, this morning we were able to put our hands on Emira calipers and can confirm:

Front caliper:
CP7545, Piston: 31.8/41.3mm, Pad: 149x61x16.8mm
Rear caliper:
CP6692, Piston: 31.8/38.1mm, Pad: 130x55x16.8mm

Yes in fact they are made for Aston Martin DB8/9/10 with same offset and lug hole pattern - 380x32mm, and upon our database search it pops up as the one we are offering for Emira front BBK - So the front 2pc big rotors are ready to ship!!
Rotors are coated EDP paint black, but after only a few stops the paint got burnt out, the rest of area remain protected from corrosion.
After installed:
1727743574863.png

After stops:
1727743545735.png

Airen has some pics to share with you on the brake pad size difference between RB and OE (AP) which are being expedited and shall be available in about 4 weeks.

Last edited:
That certainly changes the appearance of the wheel, doesn't it? I wonder how it would look if the hat was painted silver... it would definitely help to make the rotor stand out. Right now it all kind of disappears in there.
Interestingly enough, I was very happy with the all black appearance vs the factory look. The pads will wear the black coating off the rotors so there will still be contrast.

I’ve posted this before, this shows the difference in front pad size between OEM on the right and RacingBrake’s offering on the left. This is for the 380mm rotor.

IMG_5802.jpeg

This is how the 380mm rotor and larger pads look assembled on the bench. Note the McLaren caliper used for mock up, it is identical to our caliper. Warren purchased a front knuckle/hub to be able to test multiple options easily.

IMG_5817.jpeg

Note the pad fitment to the rotor compared to OEM
RacingBrake:
IMG_5818.jpeg

IMG_5822.jpeg

OEM:

IMG_5823.jpeg

IMG_5821.jpeg

And here is a picture of the spacer required to fit the 380mm rotor.
IMG_5824.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5824.jpeg
    IMG_5824.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 2
Are those steel rotors? This is the low dust option?
Airen remined me this morning to address the source of "brake dust" which the brake pad is not to be fully responsible. I should say about 2/3 and 1/3 is from the rotor.

The cast iron (Not steel) for brake rotor also called "gray iron" with 2.5-4% carbon, carbon is good for handling the heat but also make the iron soft (low in hardness) so a good brake rotor should have a good balance between carbon and added "alloys" so to strengthen the property (increase the hardness) for wear resistant, as well as the heat (by carbon).
We prefer a BHN (Brinell hardness scale) 190-230, so discs are not too soft (easy to wear) nor too hard (easy to warp or squeak), also not emit too much dust (carbon).

Why RacingBrake?

And now for the CCBs
This is comparing the OEM front caliper and RacingBrake’s proposed larger pad for the 380mm rotor to RacingBrake’s 6 piston caliper and pad they will use for the 410mm carbon ceramic kit.
I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves:
IMG_5825.jpeg

IMG_5829.jpeg

IMG_5826.jpeg

IMG_5827.jpeg

This is the larger RacingBrake pad on top of the 6 pot pad.
IMG_5828.jpeg

No pictures of the carbon ceramic rotors today but they will be here soon.

Last edited:
This is amazing. It’s awesome to have this kind of aftermarket support and communication.

I’m not likely to be in the market for a CCB kit for the foreseeable future, but I am definitely looking for some good street/track pads. Low dust would definitely be nice. 👍

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back