• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Anyone thinking twice about buying Emira?

The timing was fine for launching it. The issue is the delayed deliveries. If there had been a flow of customer cars from May/June, as originally planned, then there would be a groundswell of positive customer support and test drive feedback.

Instead they’ve got growing frustration amongst several deposit holders, alongside them now worrying about their finances.
Yes, but that was also down to launching during covid supply chain issues. They were very well aware back in mid 2021 of the issues with auto manufacturing. The launch timing was not great for any manufacturer to launch a new vehicle. Especially bad luck for Lotus with Ukraine situation.(which was unforeseeable) They obviously mis-managed the supply chain situation that has now caused a 10 month delay to the original production plan and now are heading into very un-welcoming economic climate on top of the supply chain woes. Tough times, bad luck, war, mis-managed expectations make for a messy recipe. I don't place all the blame on them obviously, but a pivot in hindsight might have worked out best for them. Easy to say this sitting at my office computer, I know...lol

Perhaps they should have extended the current model range of three E's to keep cash flow and workers busy. Give them time to get the supply situation in check and extended timelines, perhaps even launch a slower roll out, less vehicles and let customers know that. Every auto manufacturer has extended existing models because of this. 718 GT4's and Spyder's were suppose to stop production in 2022... here we are building '23 models still. Everyone extended some life cycles to compensate.

Last edited:
Not looking to finance either here. Market volatility is unfortunate, but the capital that I allocated for the Emira is not aggressively invested as it would be foolish. As it stands, I'm 100% proceeding with the purchase unless I'm somehow disenchanted by the test drive. If anything, I've increased my budget for the purchase from $130 to $140K CAD to account for possible increase in prices due to inflation (I've put my deposit in late May 2022 for a base model, and I don't expect Lotus to honor the prices they advertised). This is inclusive of taxes, luxury taxes, PDI, options, potential winter truck deliver here in Canada, etc.

My list of things not yet proven from what I’ve seen and because I’ve not had a test drive yet:
  • Ride and handling: to what extent has it been compromised compared to the Evora to make it more “daily driver” (may be able to fix this with geometry changes)
  • Paint: surface finish, consistency across panels
  • Panels: alignment and gap tolerance
  • Seats: bolster support when cornering briskly
  • Displays: visibility in sunlight and usability while driving
  • Gear change, clutch and brake feel
  • Exhaust noise (fixable with after market mods)
  • Switchgear: solidity (some wobbled on the pre-prod cars) and use while driving (AC controls are behind the shifter, steering wheel controls apparently over sensitive)
  • Low speed transmission noise (a weakness on the Evora)
  • Wind noise
None of these individually are deal breakers, it’s more about whether they’ve been improved from pre-prod to prod cars.
I think all of the above, plus, is going to be a very expensive proposition if you want to track it, I'll add, too loose on the front end!!

My list of things not yet proven from what I’ve seen and because I’ve not had a test drive yet:
  • Ride and handling: to what extent has it been compromised compared to the Evora to make it more “daily driver” (may be able to fix this with geometry changes)
  • Paint: surface finish, consistency across panels
  • Panels: alignment and gap tolerance
  • Seats: bolster support when cornering briskly
  • Displays: visibility in sunlight and usability while driving
  • Gear change, clutch and brake feel
  • Exhaust noise (fixable with after market mods)
  • Switchgear: solidity (some wobbled on the pre-prod cars) and use while driving (AC controls are behind the shifter, steering wheel controls apparently over sensitive)
  • Low speed transmission noise (a weakness on the Evora)
  • Wind noise
None of these individually are deal breakers, it’s more about whether they’ve been improved from pre-prod to prod cars.
I agree totally with this list, you can tell Tom is an Evora owner, I would add some others:
•Dashboard creaks, especially around steering column mounts.
•passenger door mirror obstruction from drivers position. Terrible on Evora400 series.
•rear tailgate trim, loose fittings.

Big thing for me is low speed transmission noise, both my cars had it.
But in reality is this car really a move forward from the Evora. Questions out on this?
I honestly think apart from looks, the performance level is not good enough. I fear that there will be first adopters and then they will ditch after 12-18 months.

I agree totally with this list, you can tell Tom is an Evora owner, I would add some others:
•Dashboard creaks, especially around steering column mounts.
•passenger door mirror obstruction from drivers position. Terrible on Evora400 series.
•rear tailgate trim, loose fittings.

Big thing for me is low speed transmission noise, both my cars had it.
But in reality is this car really a move forward from the Evora. Questions out on this?
I honestly think apart from looks, the performance level is not good enough. I fear that there will be first adopters and then they will ditch after 12-18 months.
I think you and Tom have highlighted all the issues Lotus used to experience and put off new buyers to the brand like myself. There’s a lot of quality used cars in the region of 80k that may not be as pretty but may well be better screwed together.

The investment in quality robotics and procedures has surely got to bring Lotus to the point of Aston in terms of build quality, them being another small manufacturer.

As it is for a wider market, that market does not expect visual iffy quality.

My back up plan is to buy the best 718 I can find for low $50s I’m hoping I can steal a T
Off-topic, but I never understood the T. Maybe I've misread/misremembered the specs. Why do you want a T specifically over another model?

I’ve been following a few used Evora GT410 and GT430. Several have sold in the last 3 weeks and a couple within a week of being advertised.
There was a lovely ex works imperial green one that had been for sale for months and months at circa 64k
Looks like that has sold now

Off-topic, but I never understood the T. Maybe I've misread/misremembered the specs. Why do you want a T specifically over another model?
Same. It's a nice pure car, and the 2.0 4cyl is a really nice engine.
They are too much money for what you are getting though imo. Still if you have the money!

Yes, but that was also down to launching during covid supply chain issues. They were very well aware back in mid 2021 of the issues with auto manufacturing. The launch timing was not great for any manufacturer to launch a new vehicle. Especially bad luck for Lotus with Ukraine situation.(which was unforeseeable) They obviously mis-managed the supply chain situation that has now caused a 10 month delay to the original production plan and now are heading into very un-welcoming economic climate on top of the supply chain woes. Tough times, bad luck, war, mis-managed expectations make for a messy recipe. I don't place all the blame on them obviously, but a pivot in hindsight might have worked out best for them. Easy to say this sitting at my office computer, I know...lol

Perhaps they should have extended the current model range of three E's to keep cash flow and workers busy. Give them time to get the supply situation in check and extended timelines, perhaps even launch a slower roll out, less vehicles and let customers know that. Every auto manufacturer has extended existing models because of this. 718 GT4's and Spyder's were suppose to stop production in 2022... here we are building '23 models still. Everyone extended some life cycles to compensate.
That was my point. Regardless of the many factors that caused the delays, not getting cars in customers' hands in May/June has meant no customer feedback and considerable wavering as the economic backdrop now worsens. If 1200-1500 people already had cars (and dealers had demos) then they'd have 1200-1500 sales in the bank and more people might be inclined to stick with their purchase.

I don't think continuing with the 3 Es would have worked as a strategy. Sales volumes were low and the cars weren't saleable in several key markets due to emissions or safety regulations. The clock was also ticking on the shift to EV and they needed to get the new Hethel and Wuhan factories built for that.

A slower ramp up and lower volume for the Emira might have been a better approach: limit the volume to 5000 a year rather than try to add 2nd/3rd shifts and only do half that number in the first year while bedding in new supply chains, staffing and manufacturing facilities. Easy from our armchairs and with the benefit of hindsight to suggest alternatives!

It's difficult for a thread about finances and the economy to avoid crossing over into politics, but please keep posts non-political. I have removed posts the admin/moderator team felt were inappropriate, and posts quoting or replying to those posts.

Mostly it’s about the diff. I’ll be driving it all winter with snow tires.
The other reason is this would be my first P car and it comes with all the p car performance parts: 20 mm PASM, diff, chrono, sports seats, 20” painted 911 wheels ($4 freakin thousand dollars ala carte) GT steering wheel etc. Think C7 grand sport. It’d be fun to enjoy all this hardware.
As far as 300hp, I’d install a warranty approved JB4 which adds 80hp, putting it in the same range as my TT, which I’d argue at 3000 pounds, is a street sweet spot.
And these are all musings from a guy who is reaching to spend $80k, not a rich

Mostly it’s about the diff. I’ll be driving it all winter with snow tires.
The other reason is this would be my first P car and it comes with all the p car performance parts: 20 mm PASM, diff, chrono, sports seats, 20” painted 911 wheels ($4 freakin thousand dollars ala carte) GT steering wheel etc. Think C7 grand sport. It’d be fun to enjoy all this hardware.
As far as 300hp, I’d install a warranty approved JB4 which adds 80hp, putting it in the same range as my TT, which I’d argue at 3000 pounds, is a street sweet spot.
And these are all musings from a guy who is reaching to spend $80k, not a rich
All fair and valid. Would you not just fancy a 981 GTS for less though?

All fair and valid. Would you not just fancy a 981 GTS for less though?
I drove a 981 and would have a GTS if not for the gearing. 106 mph top of 3rd lol hard pass
One of the joys of the C8 is top of 3rd is 75?mph. If you like dual clutch (and I do) that’s 3 gears to bang about on the street vs 2

I drove a 981 and would have a GTS if not for the gearing. 106 mph top of 3rd lol hard pass
Ah I forgot the T was a shorter ratio box.
It never used to really bother me tbh, don't get me wrong it would be better shorter though! 7k for a rebuild on the GTS with shorter ratios and longer final drive...

Ah I forgot the T was a shorter ratio box.
It never used to really bother me tbh, don't get me wrong it would be better shorter though! 7k for a rebuild on the GTS with shorter ratios and longer final drive...
Rich man’s folly changing a gear set on a $80k p car
If I find a perfect CPO, my fav is an 18-19 911T. I’m in zero hurry but I gotta pull the trigger before moms talks me into a bigger boat

UxSGngD.jpg