• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Anyone thinking twice about buying Emira?

For me, probably a few factors that will determine whether I take the Emira FE.
- Im due a Toyota GR86 soon, will I feel the need for another coupe / 2 new cars within a year?
- Job/economy etc, self employed/contractor can lead to some shaky times when the economy falters.
- My mortgage fixed rate ends next summer so will depend whether I pay down that with the Emira money or what rate I get that enables both
- In 2008 and I hope we're not heading that way, the sports car market crashed for c1 year and you could get some great deals on used, when times are tough, 2nd/3rd weekend cars are the first for the non rich to offload.
Keeping my finger in the pie:
- Last of a line manual, non EV/Hybrid, hydraulic steering sports car
- Will I regret not having one if the chance allows in 2-5 years etc...
- Base costs and options might enable Emira ownership at a lower price point.

Lets face it the world is looking very different from when the Emira launched at Goodwood 2021!
Man, I wished I got in the queue for the GR86 - pretty much bargain coupe of the decade! Ticks every box for a drivers car.
If secondhand sports cars prices drops back to realistic levels, there are some tempting end of ICE cars out there - GR Yaris, 911s, Astons, Jag SVRs, R8s, Evoras (lol!), M2/3/4/5, Alfa QFs, A110 etc….. Emira will have to pull its finger out.

Man, I wished I got in the queue for the GR86 - pretty much bargain coupe of the decade! Ticks every box for a drivers car.
If secondhand sports cars prices drops back to realistic levels, there are some tempting end of ICE cars out there - GR Yaris, 911s, Astons, Jag SVRs, R8s, Evoras (lol!), M2/3/4/5, Alfa QFs, A110 etc….. Emira will have to pull its finger out.
I go ahead and eat the depreciation when buying a sports car and buy new. Too many people beat the shit out of a car for a couple years and slap some new tires on it leaving you some expensive hidden repairs.

Regardless of what is said most people will be thinking / looking at the current situation. None of us like loosing money. Some will flip for sure and no doubt this the original plan with what was a ballooning market. That said the landscape is very different and despite what will be huge demand for both V6 and i4’s there will be less looking to take the plunge…

I run an old boxster having sold my GT4 a while back thinking an Emira delivery was on the cards. Been a little bored and lined up a deal only in the last few weeks on an AMG GT but with current climate along with the GT’s being a relatively hard sake I’ve decided to keep as I am.

May buy an 30k Exige S2 if anything which I see as depreciation proof to a degree and then wait for the i4 promised in “early 23”

At this point, it's literally a waiting game for any car. Had I know if I had to wait 2 years to get an Emira, I would of bought another car. :rolleyes: Edit: No change and still waiting.

Last edited:
The economy and £s tanking in the UK and the inevitable interest rates rising, and the extended supply chains led delays, anyone here in the UK having second thoughts on the Emira purchase?

For me, I’m still in, but that really depends on interest rates not being crazy high and how my other investments are doing to be honest! It’s a real shame Lotus has been caught bang in a middle of the economics woes!
No not a chance. I have waited 35 years for this car. I am using what is left of what was going to be a house deposit or pension. I may be sleeping in the car but I am having it! :)

So opened face book this morning and the first two posts I see are a chart of lap times where the Emira gets beat by literally everything (ots bullshit as there was no consistency with drivers and conditions i believe but still..)

and then a screen shot of a guys checkout where by the time tax an otr is on its pushing 81k, only option is black pack. Does dampen the enthusiasm a little tbh.

Maybe I'm just having a meh day

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1665210066693.jpg
    FB_IMG_1665210066693.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20221008-072005_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20221008-072005_Facebook.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
So opened face book this morning and the first two posts I see are a chart of lap times where the Emira gets beat by literally everything (ots bullshit as there was no consistency with drivers and conditions i believe but still..)

and then a screen shot of a guys checkout where by the time tax an otr is on its pushing 81k, only option is black pack. Does dampen the enthusiasm a little tbh.

I think it’s when you realise what £80k can buy used and the cheaper hum drum machinery that is quicker around a circuit then a brand fabled for track driving. But isn’t track driving and B road driving on the entertainment value rather than out and out speed?

Last edited:

To be fair, it‘s clearly obvious that this list is without any relevance. There a quite a few cars in the wrong order. Probably different drivers and different conditions as you said. Of course Lewis Hamilton can ride a GT63 2.5 ton AMG faster in the dry than an amateur could drive his GTAM in the wet.

I did see that. Mighty Yaris for the win 🏆 🙌 💪 😅

I saw those …. plus the various people completing checkout with deposits placed 3-4 months after me 🤷‍♂️

Some mixed feedback about build quality on the dealer demo cars and early customer cars too. Keen to take a close look at and drive a “fully finished” demo car.

I saw those …. plus the various people completing checkout with deposits placed 3-4 months after me 🤷‍♂️

Some mixed feedback about build quality on the dealer demo cars and early customer cars too. Keen to take a close look at and drive a “fully finished” demo car.
And "fully furnished" too.
haven't seen any of those deliveries with the built in bespoke fridge yet!
🥂🥂

Yes I'm on the fence now build quality and dealer network worry me. Was on Goodyear tyres was it tour spec if so that would probably cost it a couple of seconds. But still very worrying especially when 80k will buy you a nice pre owned machine

I’m on the fence. The car feels like an exercise in compromises. It was sold to me as an Evora dialled up to 11 but it appears to be more a comfortable 9.

I’ll be looking to pick up GT410 or 430 if I can find one. History, I reckon, will judge these the better car.