Bumper/Fender fitment and gap correction

@Life411

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
I picked up my Hethel Yellow Emira a week ago, took it home to show off to my mom who immediately noticed some panel gap differences. The hood adjustments were easy for the dealer to correct, but the gap at the front (bottom) of the front air intakes is also inconsistent and they couldn't figure out how to adjust the fender/bumper panels to even these up. On one side, there is a gap which is an extension of the air intake and I believe this is the way it is supposed to look and fit. On the other side, there is no gap and these two panels meet.

While at the dealer, I compared these gaps on 3 other Emiras. Two of them had the gap that looks correct while the third had no gap on either side. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have noticed if the gaps on my car were at least consistent between the two sides. And of course it is very noticeable on a Hethel Yellow Emira.

The dealer has a call in to the Lotus Tech contacts for a solution, but has anyone else had to deal with this or are you aware of how to adjust these panels to even out the gaps?

If there's an existing thread on this, please point me to it!
1717325164268.png

1717325300097.png

That’s a feature. It’s there to remind you it’s a hand-assembled car.

With that said, were any of those 3 cars that you inspected on the Gator floor Nimbus no BP with black wheels and yellow calipers? 😅

The alignment of the rear bumper with the rear fender/arch is pretty much the only thing that isn't spot on with my car... it is winding me up slightly, to be honest, but I'm trying to get over it by driving the wheels of the thing :)

Anyone know if there is adjustment possible to pull these corners in a bit?

1000005693.jpg
1000005692.jpg

I have a gap issue in the engine bay lift where the plastic end piece on the left side is much wider than the right. Also, I noticed the rear bumper gaps on the left as well. At this point, I will ignore it because of my experience with Elise :)

Go out and drive your cars! After a few bug splats and dirt splashes you won't even notice the alignment.

This has been a mental health public service announcement.

One of our older neighbors seems to only open his garage, walks around the car and looks, sometimes he dusts it… then he closes his garage back up again. The only time I’ve seen him drive it is when he backs it up to wash it. Then right back into the garage. It’s a C7 Corvette.

No offense to anyone like that in this forum, but these are the types of car owners I despise.

… I changed my mind… if you’re like that with cars take full offense 🤣

Go out and drive your cars! After a few bug splats and dirt splashes you won't even notice the alignment.

This has been a mental health public service announcement.
Amen brother! If you nitpick about every single about a car you’ll drive yourself mad. And, you really don’t want to be that guy that brings his car back to the dealer for every little thing…. That also takes away from dealers helping folks that have actual problems with their cars. This isn’t Porsche where there are hundreds and hundreds of techs, etc

The only time I’ve seen him drive it is when he backs it up to wash it. Then right back into the garage. It’s a C7 Corvette.

This is hilarious because this is a popular corvette owner stereotype! I didn't think there were actually "in the wild" owners that lived that stereotype up to the T. And then when they sell it, it's a "never driven in rain, never raced, never smoked in", listed for 150% of the going market rate. Ha! Sir, it's a Chevy! (a nice/fun one at that sure, but it's a mass produced high volume vehicle!)

The alignment of the rear bumper with the rear fender/arch is pretty much the only thing that isn't spot on with my car... it is winding me up slightly, to be honest, but I'm trying to get over it by driving the wheels of the thing :)

Anyone know if there is adjustment possible to pull these corners in a bit?
I have this issue, constantly "pushing" fender back in :)

I picked up my Hethel Yellow Emira a week ago, took it home to show off to my mom who immediately noticed some panel gap differences. The hood adjustments were easy for the dealer to correct, but the gap at the front (bottom) of the front air intakes is also inconsistent and they couldn't figure out how to adjust the fender/bumper panels to even these up. On one side, there is a gap which is an extension of the air intake and I believe this is the way it is supposed to look and fit. On the other side, there is no gap and these two panels meet.

While at the dealer, I compared these gaps on 3 other Emiras. Two of them had the gap that looks correct while the third had no gap on either side. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have noticed if the gaps on my car were at least consistent between the two sides. And of course it is very noticeable on a Hethel Yellow Emira.

The dealer has a call in to the Lotus Tech contacts for a solution, but has anyone else had to deal with this or are you aware of how to adjust these panels to even out the gaps?

View attachment 44941

View attachment 44942
sorry have to ask, are you fine with it and your mom who was upset. #Throwingmomunderthebus :)

That’s a feature. It’s there to remind you it’s a hand-assembled car.

With that said, were any of those 3 cars that you inspected on the Gator floor Nimbus no BP with black wheels and yellow calipers? 😅
Actually didn't notice this at Gator, but at Lotus Cape Fear where I was having the bonnet/hood adjusted.

I looked through all the pics that I took at Gator...is this perhaps your Emira? Bonus pic of Gator visionary Young Kim.
1717455076124.png

To all of you commenting "live with it" and such, that is not helpful at all, so please keep it to yourself. I've been a Lotus owner for 10 years and have heard it all and lived and loved my Lotus....now two Loti.

One of our older neighbors seems to only open his garage, walks around the car and looks, sometimes he dusts it… then he closes his garage back up again. The only time I’ve seen him drive it is when he backs it up to wash it. Then right back into the garage. It’s a C7 Corvette.

No offense to anyone like that in this forum, but these are the types of car owners I despise.

… I changed my mind… if you’re like that with cars take full offense 🤣
No idea why you posted this comment on this thread. I put 1,200 miles on my Emira within the first week...860 miles within 24 hours of taking delivery!

sorry have to ask, are you fine with it and your mom who was upset. #Throwingmomunderthebus :)
You obviously didn't read my post carefully. Mom was neither upset nor thrown under the bus. How lame.

You obviously didn't read my post carefully. Mom was neither upset nor thrown under the bus. How lame.
I was just messing with you :) thought it was funny the mom was referenced. Just in jest sir

No idea why you posted this comment on this thread. I put 1,200 miles on my Emira within the first week...860 miles within 24 hours of taking delivery!

Good for you, but I didn’t post in response to you or your post topic… I posted in response to KAR120C (post #7)

We are allowed to have an open dialogue with people other than the original poster. I know you may believe you can moderate who posts comments in threads you originate, but this is an open forum as far as I’m aware.

View attachment 44941

View attachment 44942Congrats on the break in Peter!

I noticed the same issue on mine as well as a couple others that had just been delivered. Mine was also missing a chunk of the silicone strip that runs horizontal so the dealer has ordered a replacement - it gave the illusion of a gap in that area as well but turned out to be the strip.

Was there any resolution to your gap? I pointed it out to my dealer but not sure if / what they will do about it yet…I understand it’s not major on mine

Attachments

• IMG_2944.jpeg
    IMG_2944.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2943.jpeg
    IMG_2943.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 24