Cold start stalling

I did notice on the drive home that it now seems to have the hill start assist so I’m guessing that was part of the update too?
It was there since day one.. maybe they have the parameters to engage fixed now.
Before you had to be standing in a very specific way somehow (never engaged for me except on my 10cm incline on the driveway lol), or do some Konami code style order on the pedals to trigger it manually 🤣

My car has done a couple of cold start stalls recently. Never happened before and using the same fuel as always, and as far as I'm aware no new software updates since I think May last year. Cold start the revs seem to "chug" slightly and then it dies. If you add a little throttle for a couple of seconds when it starts to struggle then it catches itself and keeps going, at least in my case so far...

My car has done a couple of cold start stalls recently. Never happened before and using the same fuel as always, and as far as I'm aware no new software updates since I think May last year. Cold start the revs seem to "chug" slightly and then it dies. If you add a little throttle for a couple of seconds when it starts to struggle then it catches itself and keeps going, at least in my case so far...
A new software update was released last week. It is intended to address non starting issues that quite a few people have been experienced and may well address this (I don’t know the full range of issues intended to be fixed) - but worth trying

Ok, an update.

After picking the car up and driving it home I went away for a week.
Started it for the first time yesterday.
No difference, I’m afraid. Still the same stuttering and spluttering for 5-10 seconds before it finally caught and idled normally.
I then drove to work where the car sat for re 10 hours, and when I went to start it to come home it spluttered and died completely.
On the second attempt, totally normal.

So, it seems the software update has had no effect.

That said, this morning I started it and it was almost normal.
A moment‘s hesitation, then normal idle.

On the plus side, the hill assist isn’t as annoying as I first thought, so I can live with that!

Ok, an update.

After picking the car up and driving it home I went away for a week.
Started it for the first time yesterday.
No difference, I’m afraid. Still the same stuttering and spluttering for 5-10 seconds before it finally caught and idled normally.
I then drove to work where the car sat for re 10 hours, and when I went to start it to come home it spluttered and died completely.
On the second attempt, totally normal.

So, it seems the software update has had no effect.

That said, this morning I started it and it was almost normal.
A moment‘s hesitation, then normal idle.

On the plus side, the hill assist isn’t as annoying as I first thought, so I can live with that!
It sounds like there at least 2 types of issues that people are having. 1 is in cold weather where it almost starts / dies - seems like not enough revs applied. You then press the starter a 2nd time & it’s fine (with a bit of throttle). Most times it starts fine. This could well be software related.
Your issue sounds more serious and a mechanical issue of some sort. What has the dealer said about this?

It’s certainly not cold weather related here. :)
I received my car in the depths of winter and it had no starting issues for the first 2500km.
Not sure if it had something to do with one of the updates it’s received (there had been two before this latest one), but this problem did seem to come from nowhere.

The dealer has been absolutely fine. They obviously want to get it sorted.
I imagine they’re swimming in the dark like everyone else.

I‘ll call them on Monday and see what they say.

Ultimately, to me, this is just a minor annoyance.
I absolutely love the car, and as long as they look after me through this process it’s no big deal.

It sounds like there at least 2 types of issues that people are having. 1 is in cold weather where it almost starts / dies - seems like not enough revs applied. You then press the starter a 2nd time & it’s fine (with a bit of throttle). Most times it starts fine. This could well be software related.
Your issue sounds more serious and a mechanical issue of some sort. What has the dealer said about this?
Oh, btw, I don’t touch the throttle at all during the start procedure.
I tried it once when it was spluttering and it died instantly.

I don’t believe you should need to touch the accelerator with any properly set up modern car, especially one with a push button start.

My cold start issue is back again, happened immedicately after fill up, this time used BP 98 from a different station. The cold start issue was completely absent on the previous tank of BP 98. Definitely seems to be sensitive to fuel, and I'm guessing some variances in the additives?

I will say this time around it is not as severe as when I filled with Shell Vpower, when every start was a stall. On the latest fill up it sometimes stalls and sometimes recovers, and half the time starts normally.

My cold start issue is back again, happened immedicately after fill up, this time used BP 98 from a different station. The cold start issue was completely absent on the previous tank of BP 98. Definitely seems to be sensitive to fuel, and I'm guessing some variances in the additives?

I will say this time around it is not as severe as when I filled with Shell Vpower, when every start was a stall. On the latest fill up it sometimes stalls and sometimes recovers, and half the time starts normally.
I'm sorry to hear that it's returned. Is it really the type of fuel though? I use Tesco E5 99 most of the time, but not exclusively, and don't have a problem.

Reactions: _w_

This fault is beyond the fuel you use. Faulty fuel pump?

This is mad why some owners get this problem and some have never had it once. Surely if it was a software issue like previously suggested all owners would have an issue?
I completely agree!
I've never had a cold start in over one year of ownership irrespective of software updates

I completely agree!
I've never had a cold start in over one year of ownership irrespective of software updates
There are 3-4 different issues that people are experiencing. 1 is 100% software, 1 seems to be water related, 1 might be fuel pump… I agree none are fuel type used.

There are 3-4 different issues that people are experiencing. 1 is 100% software, 1 seems to be water related, 1 might be fuel pump… I agree none are fuel type used.
I know these things should be sorted out under warranty but I’d ask my dealer if I could upgrade fuel pump and keep the warranty.

I have noticed from posts on this forum that in Australia there does seem to be at least some impact from fuel used.

I'm sure out Aussie friends will correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that legislation there currently runs to equivalent of Euro 5, in part due to the quality of the fuel (including relatively high levels of sulphur) though legislation will be bringing things towards being inline with Euro 6 including stricter fuel quality standards.

As such, with there being an obvious underlying issue with the Emira it could be that an overall poorer fuel supply quality exacerbates the problems and make some suppliers better for the car than others in that market.

Here’s a vid that shows what my car does on a cold start.
Note I had to edit out the 5-10 second gap between start attempts as the file was too large, but it shows the failed first start and the perfect second start.

At this stage Lotus seem to be pretty clueless. The software update certainly made no difference at all.
I‘m also now of the view that it’s not fuel related as I’ve tried several different brands (all 98) since this issue began with no difference in starting.

Latest from the dealer is that they’ll probably need the car for a few days to let it get completely cold and then they’ll hook up a bunch of diagnostics and do a start. Hopefully that will show what is going on.

There are no warning lights or malfunctions with the car of any sort apart from this.

Here’s a vid that shows what my car does on a cold start.
Note I had to edit out the 5-10 second gap between start attempts as the file was too large, but it shows the failed first start and the perfect second start.

At this stage Lotus seem to be pretty clueless. The software update certainly made no difference at all.
I‘m also now of the view that it’s not fuel related as I’ve tried several different brands (all 98) since this issue began with no difference in starting.

Latest from the dealer is that they’ll probably need the car for a few days to let it get completely cold and then they’ll hook up a bunch of diagnostics and do a start. Hopefully that will show what is going on.

There are no warning lights or malfunctions with the car of any sort apart from this.

View attachment 37158
Definitely not fuel related. There is some sort of part failure or loose wiring / electrical gremlin going on. Keep us posted on the results from diagnostic!

Definitely not fuel related. There is some sort of part failure or loose wiring / electrical gremlin going on. Keep us posted on the results from diagnostic!

Probably not because otherwise the problem of stalling would occur during normal running. As I said before it may not be type of fuel either. It's more like the ECU not providing for a rich enough mixture for a first cold start. The dealer diagnostics should reveal all.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back