Creaking noise

From what I can hear from the video it seems exactly the same noise, I hope it's something smaller for you!
I hope it’s something stupid ! Still driving as it is while I’m waiting for my new seat but there is no updates from lotus for like 2 months .

Just posted a similar issue and it’s handy to know what your dealer has done. The video attached with the creaking sound. **V6 auto, May 2023 built.

I’m bringing it in to the dealer tomorrow and hope they can resolve this annoying creaking sound
What was the issue ?

I posted about this back in the summer and uploaded the video. It has since been back to the dealer twice to be looked at.

There were some rubber bushes that were missing that have been installed, and the steering rack bolts have been adjusted a number of times. They also replaced the undertry with a new one that has some kind of foam padding. For me there was never a satisfactory diagnosis / resolution, although the issue is much better, though still audible when the car is warm.

I'm content to leave it as it is for now, and will get them to take another look when it's due its service.

I posted about this back in the summer and uploaded the video. It has since been back to the dealer twice to be looked at.

There were some rubber bushes that were missing that have been installed, and the steering rack bolts have been adjusted a number of times. They also replaced the undertry with a new one that has some kind of foam padding. For me there was never a satisfactory diagnosis / resolution, although the issue is much better, though still audible when the car is warm.

I'm content to leave it as it is for now, and will get them to take another look when it's due its service.
Is there any concern that if this noise is in fact from contaminated fluid - that @Andrea 's Emira had in Italy? My issue is if they are replacing steering racks only and making adjustments and the noise is not 100% rectified, it would just come back again due to the contamination of the steering fluid / damaged steering parts system. A clogged filter on the steering pump not sending the correct amount of pressure would also start degrading the steering components. I think this bolt tightening / under tray adjustment is a band aid fix. If there is contaminated steering fluid, they should replace steering pump, steering box and rack, clean the lines completely with a steering fluid flush and replace with new fluids. A lot of us have had steering racks replaced only to have the sound come back or persist, albeit not as bad. If the route of the problem doesn't get rectified I imagine it will come back again and I wouldn't want to replace these steering parts once the warranty runs out since they are clearly not operating at optimal condition. Lotus needs to be pushed to have a solution to this creaking in the steering system as it has affected quite a few cars. Too many different solutions to what seems to be a very similar problem / noise.

Is there any concern that if this noise is in fact from contaminated fluid - that @Andrea 's Emira had in Italy? My issue is if they are replacing steering racks only and making adjustments and the noise is not 100% rectified, it would just come back again due to the contamination of the steering fluid / damaged steering parts system. A clogged filter on the steering pump not sending the correct amount of pressure would also start degrading the steering components. I think this bolt tightening / under tray adjustment is a band aid fix. If there is contaminated steering fluid, they should replace steering pump, steering box and rack, clean the lines completely with a steering fluid flush and replace with new fluids. A lot of us have had steering racks replaced only to have the sound come back or persist, albeit not as bad. If the route of the problem doesn't get rectified I imagine it will come back again and I wouldn't want to replace these steering parts once the warranty runs out since they are clearly not operating at optimal condition. Lotus needs to be pushed to have a solution to this creaking in the steering system as it has affected quite a few cars. Too many different solutions to what seems to be a very similar problem / noise.
The rack on my car was replaced before I took ownership (apparantly). There has been no mention of contamination to the fluid.
I will be monitoring over the next few months to see if the issue persists.

The rack on my car was replaced before I took ownership (apparantly). There has been no mention of contamination to the fluid.
I will be monitoring over the next few months to see if the issue persists.
"

Noises from the Steering System​

The steering rack sometimes makes noises when it’s malfunctioning. If you turn the steering wheel and hear clunking, grinding, or thudding, it’s possible that the steering gearbox has internal wear. When metal on metal contact occurs in the power steering system, metal filings are created and mixed in the power steering fluid. These metal filings can work their way through the system, causing other parts of the system to fail prematurely. Before any replacement parts are installed, the dirty fluid needs to be thoroughly flushed and replaced.

If your vehicle shows any of the symptoms listed above, visit your trusted mechanic immediately and ask them to inspect your vehicle. We don’t recommend driving with a faulty steering rack. You should ask a certified mechanic to check this issue out and fix it as soon as possible."

There is a reason why steering racks are replaced and it seems Lotus is not fixing the root cause of the problem by adjusting bolts or undertrays. Anyone with Emira's that have these sounds should be pushing for a complete overhaul of the steering system due to contaminated fluids. These parts will wear prematurely if not addressed properly IMO.

@seventen keep us posted on any updates.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back