Cup Holder Alternatives & Drinks/Mugs That Fit

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Mod edit - Moved cup holder talk to this new thread. Please continue the conversation here:

There's plenty of padded rail to the sides of the shifter and forward, to screw a cupholder into. Just use some self-tapping wood screws that are long enough to go all the way through the leather and the padding, and at least 1" into the plastic.

shopping

T25-Zinc-Coated-Wood-Screws-Torx-Drive-Head-Self-tapping-Screw-Coarse-Thread-Fiberboard-Screw-Kit.jpg

Just make sure you get some screws with a nicely finished head, because you wouldn't want it to look unsightly.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's plenty of padded rail to the sides of the shifter and forward, to screw a cupholder into. Just use some self-tapping wood screws that are long enough to go all the way through the leather and the padding, and at least 1" into the plastic.

shopping

T25-Zinc-Coated-Wood-Screws-Torx-Drive-Head-Self-tapping-Screw-Coarse-Thread-Fiberboard-Screw-Kit.jpg

Just make sure you get some screws with a nicely finished head, because you wouldn't want it to look unsightly.
Another option to consider given the headroom:
Screenshot_20230926-093528_Chrome.jpg

The Brumate 12oz might be an option.

[edit] Brumate no longer makes their 12oz tumbler. It WAS a good option.

Last edited:
Bumping this up since there are more people with cars now, and this topic has come up in a sidebar chat!

I have a small-bottom Yeti 16oz tumbler that fits well but they are no longer making it unfortunately.

I found these MiiR insulated tumblers that are similar in dimension... the other products I have from MiiR are great so I'd expect these to be very good.

MiiR tumbler size chart here:
Tumbler_Family_Dimensions_Line_Drawing.jpg

Last edited:
Photo of the YETI Rambler 16oz (no longer available direct) in my Emira:

1000035390.jpg

This mug is 6.5" tall including lid and 2.5" width at base. 3.5" width at top.

It extends upward from the front edge of the rear cupholder about 2.75". I find that it is "workable" for a casual drive but I wouldn't want it there during spirited driving. A significantly shorter tumbler would be needed if I wanted to be able to enjoy coffee in the morning and then keep it in the car all day as I went for a longer drive. I've ordered the MiiR 12oz and will report back.

Last edited:
It might be worth noting that Aerie is considering a cup holder delete.

My wife had one of these in her Lexus and she could fit a number of different cups, Hydroflasks, mugs…

Her car was an automatic though, so she really only had to worry about shifting out of park. Not sure it would work in a manual car. It makes your rear cup holder much taller, but you can fit pretty much anything in it 🤷🏽‍♂️

@Porter yes. As the cupholders aren't that great given their proximity to the shifter.

I would love to have something that holds my phone in there (sideways, landscape, whatever you call the orientation).

@Porter yes. As the cupholders aren't that great given their proximity to the shifter.
A number of Emira manual transmission reviews highlighted that unfortunate ergonomic design with the cupholders in that and a cup, mug or tumbler with any significant hight will interfere with the shifting movement of your arm which seems pretty obvious just by observing the pictures showing the position of the cupholders in the center console and their proximity to the shifter. I hope I can alternatively use the door pockets for larger sealed drinks and the 2 cupholders only for beverages that come in small, low profile cups. Depending on the practicality of what Aerie comes up in converting that cupholder space (extra storage compartment with a sliding or pop up cover, for instance, would be nice) I may very well go for it.

I only drink water in car. Small Poland Spring. Problem....Solved

Attachments

• IMG_0634.jpeg
    IMG_0634.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 24
A number of Emira manual transmission reviews highlighted that unfortunate ergonomic design with the cupholders in that and a cup, mug or tumbler with any significant hight will interfere with the shifting movement of your arm which seems pretty obvious just by observing the pictures showing the position of the cupholders in the center console and their proximity to the shifter. I hope I can alternatively use the door pockets for larger sealed drinks and the 2 cupholders only for beverages that come in small, low profile cups. Depending on the practicality of what Aerie comes up in converting that cupholder space (extra storage compartment with a sliding or pop up cover, for instance, would be nice) I may very well go for it.
@Aerie

10oz Rambler fits a charm and in the back cup holder doesn’t restrict arm movement at all. (Colour match wasn’t too bad either)
IMG_4289.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4293.jpeg
    IMG_4293.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: JAY