• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Dashcam hardwire

Tim

Reaction score
Finally got round to fitting my Thinkware F800 Pro from my old car to the Emira. I like to use the hardwire kits so I have parking mode.

Taking apart a car where I couldn’t find any previous “how to” guides is always a fun challenge. Fortunately the Emira is pretty easy and I went super slow as I didn’t want to mark any of the trim.

I really should have taken better photos as I was doing this, but shout if anything needs clarifying!

A Pillar Trim: two clips - top one is captive so it’s easier to slide it off with some long nose pliers and then recover it afterwards.

Filler between door and dash: Simply unclips (two clips on right hand side). Left is held by door rubber.

Glovebox: One screw under filler above. Three inside under a cover by the latch that unclips easily. Lastly two M6 bolts underneath. Easily drops out when you unplug the passenger airbag switch.

Rear-view mirror surround: Unclips and easily pried with trim tools.

Routing: Followed a ground strap from footwell to the door. Then up and behind the airbag using clips all the way up the pillar. Tucked behind roof lining to the mirror housing. Used the vent at the bottom to bring it out in the right position for the cam.

Attachments

• IMG_5413.jpeg
    IMG_5413.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_5417.jpeg
    IMG_5417.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_5418.jpeg
    IMG_5418.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_5421.jpeg
    IMG_5421.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_5422.jpeg
    IMG_5422.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 300

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Did you fuse tap for this? Off which fuse(s) if so

OP
Tim

Tim

Reaction score
Did you fuse tap for this? Off which fuse(s) if so
Yup - switched-live off 53 (Power Outlet Passenger Compartment). There's so many places to grab a permanent supply here - I ended up tapping 16 (OBD1) to keep it neat inside the box.

PS: Just to make my brain work a little harder, the handbook has the fuse-box mirrored (LHD version?).

Gizmo750

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'd be interested to hear if the dashcam causes you any battery issues on the Emira, obviously depending on the frequency you use the car. I'm looking to fit a Thinkware too, and am undecided between hardwiring to the car battery or a battery pack specifically to power the camera.

OP
Tim

Tim

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear if the dashcam causes you any battery issues on the Emira, obviously depending on the frequency you use the car. I'm looking to fit a Thinkware too, and am undecided between hardwiring to the car battery or a battery pack specifically to power the camera.
Will do. I didn’t have any issues on the M4, but if I do at least they have the iVolt battery pack available.

It’s usually on a trickle in the garage, but wanted parking mode working when popping in to town or further afield for a night or whatevs (y)

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
@Tim do you reckon you could do this without removing the A pillar trim? Want to avoid going near/disturbing the airbag as much as possible

OP
Tim

Tim

Reaction score
@Tim do you reckon you could do this without removing the A pillar trim? Want to avoid going near/disturbing the airbag as much as possible
Maybe… if you have the panel out below then you may be able to feed it up near the windscreen…

At least with the pillar trim off you can clip it well and make sure it doesn’t obstruct the airbag?

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Got myself a couple of new toys ahead of collecting my car next week, I  think I'm going to try installing it myself based on what's been said in this thread, though I am waiting on my local dealer to see if they would quote to fit it

I'm thinking for tapping about trying to find a spare fuse that's switched-live (all that's needed for the battery), though not sure how safe that is.

I see the port next to the aux power is spare, so I wonder if that one would work/has a similar capacity to the aux power 🤔

16869284536641964590742186635128.jpg

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
To add some additional context to my thought on using some other spare fuse, looking at this page, https://fuse-box.info/volvo/volvo-xc40-2018-2019-fuses-and-relays,

I think the under seat fusebox in the XC40 is the same fusebox as the footwell fusebox in the Emira.

I suspect given that, we can probably refer to some of the capacities for spare fuses in the Emira, as they are being used in the Volvo. I can't imagine they have two separate wiring internals for these fuse boxes right? So if the coolant pump in 52 rated at 10 amps is switched, having the battery come off that with a 10amp fuse should be safe I think. Or maybe off the 67 all wheel drive module, rated for 15 amps in the volvo, spare in the Emira

JimH

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
To add some additional context to my thought on using some other spare fuse, looking at this page, https://fuse-box.info/volvo/volvo-xc40-2018-2019-fuses-and-relays,

I think the under seat fusebox in the XC40 is the same fusebox as the footwell fusebox in the Emira.

I suspect given that, we can probably refer to some of the capacities for spare fuses in the Emira, as they are being used in the Volvo. I can't imagine they have two separate wiring internals for these fuse boxes right? So if the coolant pump in 52 rated at 10 amps is switched, having the battery come off that with a 10amp fuse should be safe I think. Or maybe off the 67 all wheel drive module, rated for 15 amps in the volvo, spare in the Emira
https://www.lotuscars.com/en-GB/emira-handbook - Main Handbook, page 214 onwards for cross-reference - I know some didn't get a printed copy with their car.......... ;)

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I think you may have missed my point @JimH 😉 or maybe you're just adding more detail, I'm not sure 🤷‍♂️

I'm trying to avoid piggybacking off an existing, in use circuit in the car, since the battery pack draws 9A.

I cross referenced the Emira layout with the Volvo layout to see which slots marked as "spare" on the Emira, are used in the Volvo and have a decent rating.

My theory is that the part is the same, so the power capacity of each fuse link should be the same between cars. So if a "spare" Emira socket powers a 15A circuit in the Volvo, I could safely hook into that for my battery.

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Fuse NR 54 is described as
Charging port - rear view mirror, USB charging port - floor console right
Theoretically can’t one bridge that fuse into another always on one? Best case one of the spares is always on with the same rating?
Would remove the need to run a new wire and makes use of the rear view usb instead. Of course not draining the battery using either of the usb ports is now your own responsibility

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Fuse NR 54 is described as

Theoretically can’t one bridge that fuse into another always on one? Best case one of the spares is always on with the same rating?
Would remove the need to run a new wire and makes use of the rear view usb instead. Of course not draining the battery using either of the usb ports is now your own responsibility
I guess this depends on the dash cam you're installing. In my case, my dash cam is 12v rated so can't run off of a USB socket. I guess the input to the USB could still be 12v all the way up to the USB so maybe you could splice off the back of it?

In either case, for me, to avoid draining the battery, I've got an additional parking mode battery so that will need to be installed somewhere, probably in the footwell or under a seat, I can't avoid running wires.

Toomanyloti

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I had the cover off the pax footwell last night and theres a bit of dead space above the fuse box....

Kimmax

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I guess this depends on the dash cam you're installing. In my case, my dash cam is 12v rated so can't run off of a USB socket. I guess the input to the USB could still be 12v all the way up to the USB so maybe you could splice off the back of it?

In either case, for me, to avoid draining the battery, I've got an additional parking mode battery so that will need to be installed somewhere, probably in the footwell or under a seat, I can't avoid running wires.
Gotcha, I was under the impression that they all run on 5V by default. I have yet to decide on one to get :D

Joel

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Gotcha, I was under the impression that they all run on 5V by default. I have yet to decide on one to get :D
I can recommend the BlackVue range, the one for the Emira I've got is the DR770x, but have a DR750x and DR750s in other cars.

They're good quality and I like that they're relatively discreet. There's no screen, just a barrel for the camera which means it's pretty easy to stick it to the screen such that from the driver's seat, it's obscured by the rear view mirror (though not tested this on the Emira yet).

I know they're often reviewed very well by experts as well, though, they do come with a higher price tag than some of the competition.

I've heard the Viofo ones are also good but have no experience with them myself.

The X series BlackVue also have a built in battery protection circuit, so you can choose what happens when the car is off for parking mode, normally set it to cut off at 12v.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

You DMed me about this and it seems safe, I don’t see any precautionary steps about airbags in the manual.

Attachments

• IMG_5409.jpeg
    IMG_5409.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 89