• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira alternatives

If I was looking for a cutting edge car with unlimited budget, I’d certainly not look at the new Emira sponsored by geely china.
I would definitely look for an Emira in this case. I owned an Exige V6 at the time I signed up for Emira. The way I looked at it: a true lotus, developed and build in Hethel using almost the same chassis, same engine as the excellent old Lotus', brought up to date to 2023 era styling... a cocktail from heaven! I really thought it would be mind-blowing!

I do plan to fit nitron suspension, different seats, lower weight wheels, and a round steering wheel if all is available for Emira.
Engine and brakes are fine as is. Would never spend 85k on upgrades. Its not needed.

not a super car wut?
Its a 911 - yet a very fast one! An Ariel Atom is also very fast.

Great driver by the way!

The closest car I have ever had to a GT3, was the Exige V6 ;-)

Anyway, lets move on to closer alternatives to Emira. Don't want to upset people further with my opinion and will rest my case for my alternative suggestion...and please don't take it too seriously.

Great driver by the way!

Anyway, lets move on to closer alternatives to Emira. Don't want to upset people further with my opinion and will rest my case for my alternative suggestion...and please don't take it too seriously.
I like hearing from someone with experience and the budget to choose as he wants. I'm currently looking at a 718 Spyder with a 6 speed manual. Yes, it's slower than my R8 by a lot, but everyone who's driven or owned the Spyder says they are a car to keep.

I’d buy a v6 manual car, gut it and build it to my specs (seats/weight/engine/brakes/wheels etc)
budget (if you must) 85k for the car and 85k for the build.

My dream Emira project doesn't even take $85k extra... Probably closer to $30-40k and would be a true supercar killer with the looks to back it up! Imagine one with a built twin charged engine (aka throwing a turbo on and upgrading the supercharger), built trans to handle the power and then throw it on a diet! I'm talking super light weight forged wheels, carbon buckets/hood/louvered hatch and whatever you gotta do to get it ~2800lbs. Add proper fueling and a reliable yet aggressive tune and you're looking at ~700whp! Finish that off with a Verde Ithaca or Napier Green paint job and you've got my dream Emira. 🤤

My dream Emira project doesn't even take $85k extra... Probably closer to $30-40k and would be a true supercar killer with the looks to back it up! Imagine one with a built twin charged engine (aka throwing a turbo on and upgrading the supercharger), built trans to handle the power and then throw it on a diet! I'm talking super light weight forged wheels, carbon buckets/hood/louvered hatch and whatever you gotta do to get it ~2800lbs. Add proper fueling and a reliable yet aggressive tune and you're looking at ~700whp! Finish that off with a Verde Ithaca or Napier Green paint job and you've got my dream Emira. 🤤
I’d install an entirely new engine.

Great driver by the way!

I enjoyed your opinion btw

I like hearing from someone with experience and the budget to choose as he wants. I'm currently looking at a 718 Spyder with a 6 speed manual. Yes, it's slower than my R8 by a lot, but everyone who's driven or owned the Spyder says they are a car to keep.
I have heard that but they always seem to be geared to the feminine side. Nothing wrong with that but that is the image kind of like a Corvette and new balance shoes. Never liked the looks but if it fits you go for it(y)

I have heard that but they always seem to be geared to the feminine side. Nothing wrong with that but that is the image kind of like a Corvette and new balance shoes. Never liked the looks but if it fits you go for it(y)
Always looking out for me 😘

718 Spyder is a fantastic car and one still offered with 3 pedals! My biggest gripe with it (besides the price) is the manual soft top. It's 2023 and I don't want to be snapping and tucking flaps on a convertible.

718 Spyder is a fantastic car and one still offered with 3 pedals! My biggest gripe with it (besides the price) is the manual soft top. It's 2023 and I don't want to be snapping and tucking flaps on a convertible.
Ya that was one thing that bugged me since the GTS has an automated top. But then I figure...
#1. Less mechanics to go wrong over time
#2. Everyone wants a more "raw, engaging" experience. Manually putting your top down and up fits that bill.
718 Spyder is definitely on my list. Loved the 981 I drove. If it hadn't had the red/silver trim interior, I probably would have gotten it. But the tech was also abysmal. That's why I'd go for the 718. I also like the updated looks a bit more.

+1 if it had an automatic top, I’d be all over it. Love the looks of those humps. Just feels weird to be maniacally operating a top for a $120k+ car.

... and the 718 Spyder looks incredible.

whoa whoa whoa.... Hold on there... Being a soon to be 2nd time Spyder owner, I must take offence with the feminine side of things :ROFLMAO:.

718 Spyder is probably the best looking convertible for sale new today. Full Stop. 100% it is the best looking Porsche convertible designed, maybe since the original speedsters of the 50's - 60's. Also, I am yet to see a female owner drive one, although I am sure there are some.

The manual roof can sometimes be annoying, but at the same time it's unique and cool. If I had the option, I would keep it manual, it adds to the experience of owning something from another era. People always stop and compliment the car when I removing/putting up the top. When everything is electric in 20-30 years from now, it will be such a cool novelty, makes it feel special. Along with the long geared manual. Yes, the gears are a tad long.

As I said in my review after driving the Emira, the V6 in the Lotus feels a but more urgent in the low rev range. But after 4K RPM the Porsche is going to start blowing by you and singing very loudly at the same time. 8K redline is awesome. Just the difference between naturally aspirated and supercharged I guess. I liked both - Porsche is the faster car, no question.

Have a listen to Matt Farah talk about his pink spyder (terrible color)... He did the Deman treatment and it is a monster. I may do it as well after the warranty expires. Many famous car guys bought and own a 718 Spyder for a reason.

Watch this - starts at 18:00 Min for 718 spyder talk.

Last edited:
+1 if it had an automatic top, I’d be all over it. Love the looks of those humps. Just feels weird to be maniacally operating a top for a $120k+ car.
120K.... Imagine how the 991.2 Speedster guys feel... they are manual moving a top @ 400K

whoa whoa whoa.... Hold on there... Being a soon to be 2nd time Spyder owner, I must take offence with the feminine side of things :ROFLMAO:.

718 Spyder is probably the best looking convertible for sale new today. Full Stop. 100% it is the best looking Porsche convertible designed, maybe since the original speedsters of the 50's - 60's. Also, I am yet to see a female owner drive one, although I am sure there are some.

The manual roof can sometimes be annoying, but at the same time it's unique and cool. If I had the option, I would keep it manual, it adds to the experience of owning something from another era. People always stop and compliment the car when I removing/putting up the top. When everything is electric in 20-30 years from now, it will be such a cool novelty, makes it feel special. Along with the long geared manual. Yes, the gears are a tad long.

As I said in my review after driving the Emira, the V6 in the Lotus feels a but more urgent in the low rev range. But after 4K RPM the Porsche is going to start blowing by you and singing very loudly at the same time. 8K redline is awesome. Just the difference between naturally aspirated and supercharged I guess. I liked both - Porsche is the faster car, no question.

Have a listen to Matt Farah talk about his pink spyder (terrible color)... He did the Deman treatment and it is a monster. I may do it as well after the warranty expires. Many famous car guys bought and own a 718 Spyder for a reason.

Watch this - starts at 18:00 Min for 718 spyder talk.

Does Deman void the warranty? Guessing probably so, just don't tell the dealer? 😆

The manual top doesn’t even bother me at all, it just looks so damn sharp. Probably less headaches with top wear and tear and weight with the manual one.

@hagen111 just wanted to say I also enjoyed your opinion. What would a forum be if we all have the same things to say and discuss? 🙂

And to add to the Spyder- and the manual roof discussion: Gorgeous car, the combo of the engine and the looks of it are just wow! Was on my list if the Emira wouldn't have tickled me. But I would say there is another very good looking convertible (with a manual roof) out there (if we look at the era since the Porsche 356 at least 😅☺️). In my opinion the best car Lotus ever built, definitely not a daily driver though 😂
4BD0C421-C226-41EE-9E79-71A1CEA2D357.jpeg

I would definitely look for an Emira in this case. I owned an Exige V6 at the time I signed up for Emira. The way I looked at it: a true lotus, developed and build in Hethel using almost the same chassis, same engine as the excellent old Lotus', brought up to date to 2023 era styling... a cocktail from heaven! I really thought it would be mind-blowing!

I do plan to fit nitron suspension, different seats, lower weight wheels, and a round steering wheel if all is available for Emira.
Engine and brakes are fine as is. Would never spend 85k on upgrades. Its not needed.
If you hoped for the Emira to be comparable to a GT3 or proper supercar, I would say it's not Lotus fault that you are disappointed. On the other hand, if you would like the Emira to drive more like an Evora, that shouldn't be the hardest thing to accomplish. They have the same ingredients as you mentioned and the biggest differences are just weight and setup in my opinion. The setup can easily be corrected and weight can be tackled, too.
With your planned upgrades, you are still way cheaper than any Supercar and yet the Emira will be completely comparable except for power and it will be dialed in specifically to your likings. I would consider that a very good deal.
And I guess that can be said for all of us. The Emira is a nearly perfect starting point that everybody can dial in to their likings and make it as sharp as they wish for by spending 10k at most, if you are fine with the power it delivers, or let's say you only wish for 30 more hp. More than that will get a bit pricier of course.
As a conclusion and to stay true to the topic: I think the best Emira alternative is a slightly modified Emira.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back