• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira alternatives

The manual Gearbox can't take more torque. It was designed to be a diesel Avensis gearbox.

If you want an Emire to tune and increases power output then wait for the i4 which can easily and a reliably go to 550bhp and the gearbox is fine with that. Whether you can cool that in California is another question....

The manual Gearbox can't take more torque. It was designed to be a diesel Avensis gearbox.

If you want an Emire to tune and increases power output then wait for the i4 which can easily and a reliably go to 550bhp and the gearbox is fine with that. Whether you can cool that in California is another question....
Komo-Tec will come out with a 475hp/500NM tune for the Emira, as they did for the Evora (for 6.300€) ;) You can do a lot, if you want to.

I have heard that but they always seem to be geared to the feminine side. Nothing wrong with that but that is the image kind of like a Corvette and new balance shoes. Never liked the looks but if it fits you go for it(y)
Easily solved for a few thousand bucks

If you hoped for the Emira to be comparable to a GT3 or proper supercar, I would say it's not Lotus fault that you are disappointed. On the other hand, if you would like the Emira to drive more like an Evora, that shouldn't be the hardest thing to accomplish. They have the same ingredients as you mentioned and the biggest differences are just weight and setup in my opinion. The setup can easily be corrected and weight can be tackled, too.
With your planned upgrades, you are still way cheaper than any Supercar and yet the Emira will be completely comparable except for power and it will be dialed in specifically to your likings. I would consider that a very good deal.
And I guess that can be said for all of us. The Emira is a nearly perfect starting point that everybody can dial in to their likings and make it as sharp as they wish for by spending 10k at most, if you are fine with the power it delivers, or let's say you only wish for 30 more hp. More than that will get a bit pricier of course.
As a conclusion and to stay true to the topic: I think the best Emira alternative is a slightly modified Emira.
I do agree with this.
Just a shame that you need to spend 5-15k to achieve it. Depending on your expectations

I do agree with this.
Just a shame that you need to spend 5-15k to achieve it. Depending on your expectations
"Depending on your expectations" is the key part here. It will be perfect as it as for more people than any other Lotus than before, but can still be made close to perfect for most of the people who loved the Evora for it's driving characteristics. Of course it's not easy and doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint to get it to 600 hp and there will be no way to get it to 1.000kg. Also there are new laws that restrict the engine volume, but other than that, you can probably make it a better Evora and don't pay more than you had to pay for a new Evora 400.
However I get the point that it is a big bummer if one wanted the complete Evora sensation and don't want to tune a brand new car, or that you have to buy expensive seats and a 10 channel hifi system, if a way cheaper manual bucket and no speakers is what you really want, but as I said already, a different suspension setup (which isn't hardware tuning and doesn't require any new parts) is cheap and can work wonders. The suspension is adjustable for a very wide range of different camber and toe alignments, which is not possible in most other stock vehicles. At least not to that degree.
People just seem to get upset way too much and way to quick because of things that in reality are no big deal at all. I also would prefer the Emira to be a hundred percent as I wish it to be, but that will not happen and never happened with any other car that I have ever seen until now.

Ok, lets take the right perspective...a newly ordered V6 Emira in The Netherlands = 150k eur incl all taxes. It has an old - low tech - engine and is therefore taxed very high because of the solution.
A 991.2 GT3 Manual can be bought here for 185-200k. They are not worlds apart price wise...still a lot of money, but not like one is half of the other. I would save up, or loan and move up and buy the GT3. You only live once.

My dealer here build a 700hp, sequential gearbox, 1000kg Exige V6 for himself. I am going to rely on his expertise to deliver me the car I really want ;-)

As I have a second home elsewhere, my Emira will be more attractive to buy.

Last edited:
I put down a deposit on a Taycan in July (to replace the family Macan) - £5k refundable via dealer. Was told to expect 12 months wait. (the interior, fit and finish etc is sooooooo far ahead of the Emira by the way)
Not heard anything since - then this morning i have recieved an email that I have a spec' freeze date 23/02/23 and after that they expect to recieve the car 24/04/23.
They also followed up with a phone call 2 hrs later and advised Bose sound is unavailable and my not be for a long time.
With the price of electricity now and i am not 100% sure its the right thing to do after all, but but will be buying through the business so 100% capital allowances in year 1 essentially means a 40% discount
Also allows me to sell the Macan and free up cash for Emira, or maybe something more exotic.

Last edited:
the let-down is really that Lotus described it as an Evora turned up to 11 but really its turned down to 9
Where is the marketing brochure that says that? Was that the advertising tag line? Or was it a Gavan isolated comment?

the let-down is really that Lotus described it as an Evora turned up to 11 but really its turned down to 9
I guess you are right when "turned up to 11" refers to "more hardcore" or "more sporty". But the Evora was not the sporty car in the old Lotus lineup. It was the usable car, the less sporty one. The car you could use in every situation with the least compromises. That was Evoras goal, never to be a track monster. And these kind of qualities of Evora have actually been turned up to eleven.

Probably not the best choice of words from Gavan when he made that statement... and not sure if my interpretation is correct.
But when I heard about Emira for the first time (around 2020), it was already said that it will be a F-Type competitor.

I guess you are right when "turned up to 11" refers to "more hardcore" or "more sporty". But the Evora was not the sporty car in the old Lotus lineup. It was the usable car, the less sporty one. The car you could use in every situation with the least compromises. That was Evoras goal, never to be a track monster. And these kind of qualities of Evora have actually been turned up to eleven.

Probably not the best choice of words from Gavan when he made that statement... and not sure if my interpretation is correct.
But when I heard about Emira for the first time (around 2020), it was already said that it will be a F-Type competitor.

Not disagreeing with you, adding context that Lotus made direct comparison to the Base F-Type from the Emira i4 in their official U.S. press points literature at the Laguna Seca event August 11th, 2021.

Edit: Wow, August 11th, 2021 was ... forever ago :)

1673536279838.png

If you are looking for a similarly priced alternative, look hard at a BMW M4 Xdrive Competition. I had one for two months before I flipped it and that car is a monster and just checks so many boxes. Supercar fast, 0-60 in 2.9 seconds per car and driver. Excellent technology and more important, great ergonomics to use it. Plenty of buttons along with a touchscreen. Very high quality. I had sworn off BMWs, but the new M4 coupe is very nice inside. Plus it has that great inline 6. To me, it is the best performance car all round for under $90k. More usable than a Vette, cheaper than a comparable Cayman (and faster). A hell of a car.

If you are looking for a similarly priced alternative, look hard at a BMW M4 Xdrive Competition. I had one for two months before I flipped it and that car is a monster and just checks so many boxes. Supercar fast, 0-60 in 2.9 seconds per car and driver. Excellent technology and more important, great ergonomics to use it. Plenty of buttons along with a touchscreen. Very high quality. I had sworn off BMWs, but the new M4 coupe is very nice inside. Plus it has that great inline 6. To me, it is the best performance car all round for under $90k. More usable than a Vette, cheaper than a comparable Cayman (and faster). A hell of a car.
You forgot it comes with a free huge buck tooth grino_O

I can appreciate how much of a performer the G8X is but I'm not sure the audience for the Emira has a strong overlap for the M4. I think the two strong points that attracts the Emira customer are looks and driver feel, which I'd imagine many argue the G8X lacks.

As an F8X owner, after driving the Emira, I want to supplement my M4 ownership not replace.

Other than the looks...

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back