• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

FE I4 pricing no longer on US website

If the 17-21% is true then I might be out! I wanted a second fun car for 80-90k. If I’m looking at 100k for a I4 360 hp then I’m out. Too many options in that price range and not be kept in the dark.

I already think USA 77k is too much so I may say f it buy a cpo 718 and a bigger boat in 18 months when they will both be closer to free vs 19 prices

If the 17-21% is true then I might be out! I wanted a second fun car for 80-90k. If I’m looking at 100k for a I4 360 hp then I’m out. Too many options in that price range and not be kept in the dark.

Completely agree!! Much better options out there, for lower the price range.

Let’s hope pricing sticks to the words of Matt W… at least FE albeit this won’t help everyone.

Tend to agree the point that £70k is enough for 360hp. A nice used AMG GTS could be had for circa same money or AMV8, lots more other options.

Let’s see

This would suck if true. It would price me out of the Emira for sure unless there's also an associated 6 month delay so I have extra time to save. I only budgeted ~$125k for this which includes PPF/Tint/Ceramic etc.
I have an existing reservation for a C8 which I have passed over twice because I like the Emira better and so far I’ve been willing to wait for. The C8 has for a long time had a configurator WITH prices even before it was released. The Emira needs to be competively priced otherwise I would have second thoughts about it’s purchase. We seem to be caught in a Lotus vortex and I’m getting dizzy.

Lotus is trying to figure out how much they can gauge for how long. Some of it is inflationary, some of it is supply shortages but they are also looking at the full order book and wondering what they can push. It's a very very precarious situation. We are in / heading into a recession that is going to rival 2008 and perhaps be worse in some areas of the world. The US in this case may be better insulated than say Europe or Asia. However, the pricing needs to make sense, otherwise we will be buying Emira's in the Europe and shipping them over here ourselves. (especially with currency exchange)

If I am not mistaken, foreign purchases don't pay VAT if importing them out of country. Even if we have to pay the duty/taxes in US, I believe there may still be a savings of around 20K. I don't think Lotus wants to get involved in this situation either. It probably wouldn't be personal people importing them, but dealers. Similar to how some US dealers will ship cars that are better priced here overseas for larger profits.

We would then see non-Lotus dealers selling brand new Emira's. What a disaster it would be.

Last edited:
To go one further, VAT in Spain is 20%

Emira V6 manual F/E is 85K EUR - 20% VAT = 70K EUR

70K EUR = 68K USD

Emira V6 F/E would cost 68K USD + Shipping + duty (2.5%)/state tax etc. - other changes to make it US compliant (like headlights may need to be changed to the amber turn indicators)

Not exactly sure on all these numbers, but it's a big reason as to why vehicles around the world need to priced in a way to avoid importing to be lucrative. The USD exchange rate is causing havoc for this situation to be a real issue.

Last edited:
I have an existing reservation for a C8 which I have passed over twice because I like the Emira better and so far I’ve been willing to wait for. The C8 has for a long time had a configurator WITH prices even before it was released. The Emira needs to be competively priced otherwise I would have second thoughts about it’s purchase. We seem to be caught in a Lotus vortex and I’m getting dizzy.

Yeah I wasn't interested in the C8 until seeing SavageGeese's video on the Z06. That has me more interested. Unfortunately I'm still not sure if I can get over the boomer aesthetic of the car nor the rear end of the Corvette. I'd just step down to something like a Supra or older Evora instead.

I just talked to my dealer though and so far they have no information (or haven't heard of) any price changes. I'm guessing it doesn't mean much with Lotus not saying anything though.

Emira V6 manual F/E is 85K EUR - 20% VAT = 68K EUR

68K EUR = 66K USD

Emira V6 F/E would cost 66K USD + Shipping + duty (2.5%)/state tax etc. - other changes to make it US compliant (like headlights may need to be changed to the amber turn indicators)

Not exactly sure on all these numbers, but it's a big reason as to why vehicles around the world need to priced in a way to avoid importing to be lucrative. The USD exchange rate is causing havoc for this situation to be a real issue.
We had a similar situation in the UK around the early 2000’s
New cars and trucks where coming in from Cyprus, grey imports. It went on for a few years then the EU made it financially unviable. If it came to that in the USA/ Canada, (which I’m pretty sure it never will as Lotus won’t be putting the Emira price up 21%) sleepy Joe and the other snowflake would find a way to stop it, same as the EU did. No Government wants its citizens cutting them out of the deal

Emira V6 manual F/E is 85K EUR - 20% VAT = 68K EUR

68K EUR = 66K USD

Emira V6 F/E would cost 66K USD + Shipping + duty (2.5%)/state tax etc. - other changes to make it US compliant (like headlights may need to be changed to the amber turn indicators)

The main issue for buying overseas is that you'd have to do it all in cash up front. Other than that it might have better pricing but also shipping is crazy right now for cars. It was already $5k or so to do it cross country, I can't imagine what international would be like.

We had a similar situation in the UK around the early 2000’s
New cars and trucks where coming in from Cyprus, grey imports. It went on for a few years then the EU made it financially unviable. If it came to that in the USA/ Canada, (which I’m pretty sure it never will as Lotus won’t be putting the Emira price up 21%) sleepy Joe and the other snowflake would find a way to stop it, same as the EU did. No Government wants its citizens cutting them out of the deal
I agree, they will certainly find a way. But don't underestimate the American capitalism, they can do some serious damage in a couple years pushing them dollars around.

The main issue for buying overseas is that you'd have to do it all in cash up front. Other than that it might have better pricing but also shipping is crazy right now for cars. It was already $5k or so to do it cross country, I can't imagine what international would be like.
That is why I said it will be mostly dealers / large corp's. There are many large US luxury pre-owned car dealer networks in the US that would salivate at spending 10's of millions to make that kind of profit, if the demand is there for these cars.

That is why I said it will be mostly dealers / large corp's. There are many large US luxury pre-owned car dealer networks in the US that would salivate at spending 10's of millions to make that kind of profit, if the demand is there for these cars.
Thing is, The new Lotus brand will not allow it’s cars to be sold this way, those days are gone. All imo
You have to remember the Emira is small change in the big picture, it’s a transition model to show the world they have changed, The big prize is the EV models on the world stage

Thing is, The new Lotus brand will not allow it’s cars to be sold this way, those days are gone. All imo
You have to remember the Emira is small change in the big picture, it’s a transition model to show the world they have changed, The big prize is the EV models on the world stage
They would not be able to control the situation. All it would take is for US buyer to place orders at every EU dealer. Spain/Belgium/Germany/Italy etc. Once the car has left UK and is paid for by the EU dealer they have no control on what happens.

The only way to prevent this, is by keeping the US dealer price low enough where it does not make it financially feasible. Or demand for the car drops off and nobody is willing to pay for it. Don't forget, there are some dealers charging above MSRP in the US... believe me, if there is a dollar to be made, they will sniff it out.

If I bought 200 Emira's next year all through EU dealer.... Spend about 14 Mil on the purchases and shipping - Sold them all for 100K USD... That is around 20 Mil. - 6 Mil profit, plus profit made on financing. Over 20% return during a recession on 14 Mil is not bad business. Especially if they know the lists at dealers are long enough. They may even push higher than 100K per unit depending.

It may not happen, but it certainly is possible.

Last edited:
Back