• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

FE I4 pricing no longer on US website

It’s kinda ironic that the Emira was supposed to move Lotus from being a bespoke low-production brand into a more mass-market tier, but it’s looking like the car will be more rare than the Evora it replaces.

By the time the final pricing is announced none of us will be able to afford the Emira anyway because of us having to pay for stress related therapy sessions and drugs. “Lotus...you’re killing us!”.
Agreed. This is handled so poorly!

It’s kinda ironic that the Emira was supposed to move Lotus from being a bespoke low-production brand into a more mass-market tier, but it’s looking like the car will be more rare than the Evora it replaces.

Jezz, I was thinking the same thing. Great reveal last year, tons of deposits, pandemic supply chain, Lotus exponential growth...

Yea, it may be rare if people drop out due to continued delays and potential price increases.

Crazy enough it may come down to how many soft bags I can fit behind the seats. Why no frunk Matt why?
That’s the compromise you have to accept for having the Lotus ride and handling philosophy and double wishbone suspension. It takes a lot of space inboard of the wheels compared to the alternatives. By the time you’ve stuffed radiators, fans and oil coolers under the bonnet too you’ve no space left for luggage.

For the drivers? Yes
For the weekend? Yes
For the two week holiday? Not so easy

Jezz, I was thinking the same thing. Great reveal last year, tons of deposits, pandemic supply chain, Lotus exponential growth...

Yea, it may be rare if people drop out due to continued delays and potential price increases.
Even without dropouts, Lotus just seems completely incapable of finishing cars in anything close to the numbers they need. It’s looking like 2022 will end with fewer than 200 cars out the door, unless some miracle happens in Nov. They were supposed to be hitting 10x that, and then double that pace in 2023. I’ll bet they ship fewer 2024 MY Emiras than 2020 MY Evoras.

That’s the compromise you have to accept for having the Lotus ride and handling philosophy and double wishbone suspension. It takes a lot of space inboard of the wheels compared to the alternatives. By the time you’ve stuffed radiators, fans and oil coolers under the bonnet too you’ve no space left for luggage.

For the drivers? Yes
For the weekend? Yes
Yeah it has to do the 4 week cross country I do each summer, most of it solo but I’ll pick up my wife in Denver or phoenix and head west then the same home drop her off before Kansas so I can do the dragon and others. Not sure the Emira can do this but it’s gonna be a fun test drive anyhow

Even without dropouts, Lotus just seems completely incapable of finishing cars in anything close to the numbers they need. It’s looking like 2022 will end with fewer than 200 cars out the door, unless some miracle happens in Nov. They were supposed to be hitting 10x that, and then double that pace in 2023. I’ll bet they ship fewer 2024 MY Emiras than 2020 MY Evoras.
I would agree. I cant understand what the reported 1,500 staff employed at the factory are doing everyday. There has to be a limit in terms of what can be part built without creating a logistical nightmare in a factory that is designed for a constant flow like a conveyor belt with cars being loaded up and taken away at the end of the process, rather than being abandoned is every possible nook and cranny around the Lotus site.

My worry is they’re part building them then shipping them to the big airfield BCA have at the site they’re using for PDI and distribution.

Best case, they sit outside for weeks then get taken back to Hethel to finish them.

Worst case, they get BCA to finish them. Lotus have staff on site at BCA and are training them to do PDI and (more interestingly) a variety of PDI rectification tasks.

For the drivers? Yes
For the weekend? Yes
In previous models it’s a wonder how they found room for a driver let alone a passenger too. It’s all about space management.

My worry is they’re part building them then shipping them to the big airfield BCA have at the site they’re using for PDI and distribution.

Best case, they sit outside for weeks then get taken back to Hethel to finish them.

Worst case, they get BCA to finish them. Lotus have staff on site at BCA and are training them to do PDI and (more interestingly) a variety of PDI rectification tasks.
The scope for things to be missed, rushed, get damaged etc is mind boggling if this is what is happening, or could happen. I know that sometimes, fully built cars can be parked up for a while prior to sale, but at that stage they are designed to be kept outside anyway. A partly built car with say electrical connectors not connected and protected and you are introducing points of failure all over the place. The problem with this is these kinds of issue will not manifest themselves immediately, but will probably fail prematurely in the future if damp has got in.

In previous models it’s a wonder how they found room for a driver let alone a passenger too. It’s all about space management.
The Evora project team pre-launch told me proudly how clever they’d been to fit everything in to the space. They likened it to a tube of Pringles neatly and tightly stacked, compared to a loose packet of crisps (chips for you US folks).

Great, really clever. Now try changing the middle broken Pringle! This is the 35 hour clutch change. Or removing the wheel and wheel arch liner to change the headlight bulb.

The Evora project team pre-launch told me proudly how clever they’d been to fit everything in to the space. They likened it to a tube of Pringles neatly and tightly stacked, compared to a loose packet of crisps (chips for you US folks).

Great, really clever. Now try changing the middle broken Pringle! This is the 35 hour clutch change. Or removing the wheel and wheel arch liner to change the headlight bulb.
Great. Now you brought up the Middle Pringle.
Those one finger salutes are popular these days.
As in 'that merits a middle Pringle.'
Let the chips fall where they may.

This is without a doubt the biggest issue I see as well. Non cohesive manufacturing techniques usually result in some issues.

Not that I know
Well, they must be able to recommend someone to you who does. I can't imagine putting an exhaust system like that on a C8 without reworking the air intake. You've got plenty of air intake options under 1K if you're seriously considering getting the car. You might consider giving someone like "Parragon Performance" a call. The car will also sound and perform even better once installed. Personnally I'd do the air intake first then the exhaust.

Back