Harry sells his Emira

@Nick in Sydney he's ( the person you responded to) had nothing good to say about the Emira or Lotus in a while. Not sure why he's hanging around here except to rain on everyone's good time. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Please guys don't be silly. Harry always praised the car independent of any Lotus criticism. He just can buy something more exotic and exciting like many here in the forum can't. Move on. Also, pretty much all cars depreciate to some degree... if you can gut depreciation go buy a 10 year old car and don't come back to this forum for 10 years.... the Emira or any new car is NOT your car... If for some reason the company goes under, the cars will have an even lower production number which will be good for retaining value. If the company goes under (Geely is huge... if it happens it won't be soon.... and someone else may buy the company like it almost always happens)... Please emember the cars have a Toyota drivetrain and that's part of the beauty... there will be plenty aftermarket support. Remember demand and supply; someone will start manufacturing body parts for the Emira, Evoras, Elises... etc. because there are plenty of those cars on the road.

Please guys don't be silly. Harry always praised the car independent of any Lotus criticism. He just can buy something more exotic and exciting like many here in the forum can't. Move on.

Thank you!! If I had the means to own other legendary cars like the F40, F50 countach and testarossa, I might get bored of daily driving an Emira touring as well. It's not that serious.

I have watched all of Harry's emira videos. As with all information, you never get the whole story. I have doubted the run length of the Emira, which was a factor in why I bought it. Especially the V6. I was very happy to be driving today when I saw a group of 911's (yes I have one also) But so far my Emira stands alone and I don't look like I am having a mid life crisis in it. It's a relatively simple car that's the last of it's kind and that is what classics are made of. Repairs could get dicy but no more than many other cars. I know I can get parts for my 911 but it is still a costly endeavor just getting normal service. What ever happens I will deal my guess is a lot of evora owners feel the same. If you want to hedge your bets get the stick. the difference in price used for an evora stick and a evora auto is astonishing.

Huh? Harry has never done anything but praise the Emira and has certainly never said it was boring.

He made it clear that he's selling because he wants to try something new (and get the clicks no doubt) and because he doesn't like the direction of Lotus as a business. I also suspect there was a serious falling out with Lotus after his critical Eletre review.
Spot on.

I would also question the suggestion that he sold his car because of the behind the scenes dramas at Lotus. What’s that got to do with anything?

If that was an issue do you think he would have bought a McLaren?
The chaos in that place makes Lotus look like a picture of serenity.

I think he sold because he was using other cars more and there wasn’t much left for him to do with the Emira content wise.
He didn’t have anything really bad to say about the car.

He replaced his £80k Emira with a car that cost over £280k new (£380k+ in today’s money), which he apparently paid around £110k for.

How’s that for depreciation!

On a side note, pretty crap colour on the 650 IMO.
The Emira looked way better.

I wish Lotus well as a company, and certainly don't want them to (continue to?) fall to bits, but as long as Geely group keeps making replacement knick-knacks, and if worse comes to worst, somebody can grab the molds for the body panels on the way out the door (seriously, replacement body panels long term is the only thing that makes me sweat slightly), then our cars are gonna be Just Fine ™️ :)

Spot on.

I would also question the suggestion that he sold his car because of the behind the scenes dramas at Lotus. What’s that got to do with anything?

If that was an issue do you think he would have bought a McLaren?
The chaos in that place makes Lotus look like a picture of serenity.

I think he sold because he was using other cars more and there wasn’t much left for him to do with the Emira content wise.
He didn’t have anything really bad to say about the car.

He replaced his £80k Emira with a car that cost over £280k new (£380k+ in today’s money), which he apparently paid around £110k for.

How’s that for depreciation!

On a side note, pretty crap colour on the 650 IMO.
The Emira looked way better.
I think the same way, he is in the position to buy nearly every car he likes and it was quite an "honour" for Lotus and for the Emira that he decided to get one new.

That was the hype he was referring to back in 2019 to 2021 with all the new products like Evija / Emira.

Being part of that new Lotus era and then it somehow went into a wrong direction for him. I can understand that.

But in the end the car did not get enough "seating time" and so then had to go and be replaced by something more special.

I think I will never be in the position to own a McLaren own day, but I managed to get an Emira, it's an somehow attainable sportscar with supercar looks and for that reason it's not comparable with a McLaren in my eyes, who sits in the same league as Ferrari, Lamborghini, you name it.

There you also get the rest, supercar performance, but of course at a price.

So, I'm ok with his decision, but it wouldn't be an option for myself. So all good in the end. :)

I’ve been out in mine today and I’ve been smiling all day, I joined the waiting list long before Harry got his car so he didn’t influence me in the slightest, Harry flips his cars all the time for our/his entertainment on YouTube if he kept them all he’d need a much bigger place and probably more money.
Just enjoy the Emira I certainly do đź‘Ť

Supercar looks without supercar performance is a recipe for disappointment
I don't think it's about performance, though. He says he drives his Testarossa more, because it's a more exotic/dramatic experience (I'm paraphrasing). The other cars he says he likes to drive are his very old Rolls, and very old Elan. So I don't believe raw performance is the driver for him.

He talked about the tech of the McLaren, so I think to him, for a newer vehicle to be worthwhile, it has to incorporate modern advanced technology. The Emira does not. It's more of a throw-back analog vehicle with modern parts that are well engineered but simple and non-exotic. He was willing to overlook this, maybe, if Lotus continued to innovate and provided him a stream of cars that he could replace the Emira with, but that turned out to be a disappointment to him.

He wanted a more modern vehicle in his collection backed by a dynamic company, and in that regard, McLaren is doing a lot better than Lotus.

Lotus Emira is a gateway car to a proper supercar. Harry is spot on. Doesn't mean the Emira sucks, but for $50k ish more you can move up significantly into the supercar world. Not that price point even matters, if you are buying any of these things as investments you need to take that econ 101 class again.

Look at the cars in Harry's collection that he's not selling. They're all still appreciating.

Harry is a wealthy, car flipper. He bought the Emira hoping to sell it for a quick profit after using it for web content. Now that you can buy a second hand Emira below MSRP it's time for him to sell. Simple as that.

My take away from Harry wasn't so much the about the Emira itself, but Lotus. In fact he flat out said he felt Lotus was no longer a company that he was interested in after the Eletre drive. Or that the company was no longer interested in customers like himself, depending how you interpret it.

My issue going forward is if there is going to be Lotus dealers in the US/CAN in 5 years time? To me this is a deal breaker. My Emira is set to arrive shortly and would feel better if Lotus as a company will still be around. To me this has less to do with Harry's video and more with the points I made in the earlier post. We can all say we don't care about what Lotus produces in the future, but if they decide to remove themselves from our market it would be problematic for me personally.

With the US / EU fighting off Chinese EV's and Lotus being the ONLY company in the US that sells 100% made Chinese EV's it does not bode well. Polestar / Volvo is the other one, but they have factories in the US, so I think they are in a different situation. The Emira was the gateway vehicle to achieve EV SUV sales into dealerships, but if those EV's can't be sold for profit in our markets, what is the point in selling the Emira here at all?

We can all say Lotus has always been this way,( on the edge of collapse... lol) but times are changing and this is different. Lotus will probably do very well in other markets in the world, but it seems clear to me they are not welcome over here from a political point of view. The North American auto companies pull a lot of weight when it comes to protecting their industries and I just get a feeling that things are going sideways at Lotus HQ at the moment.... I think Harry was feeling something similar.

Even if he was just flipping out cars as a YouTuber, he did not have to go into detail regarding how he felt about Lotus as a brand. Generally auto journalists skirt around these types of issues. They are aware of the type of impact they can have towards consumers and he was fairly clear on how he felt about Lotus and the way they have carried themselves since 2019. (6 years ago is a long time) Not a single person on this forum or anywhere I have found can give me a positive case for why / how Lotus will be around in North America in 5 years time, considering the economic and political climate we are in.

My 2 cents if I were running Lotus:

Lotus should revise the "all electric" focus, especially in the short- and medium-term, in favor of the Emira + a hybrid car.

They should refresh the Emira at some point (minor fixes, higher revving V6, more sound dampening, better AC and Audio system) and create a convertible version.

Are convertibles taboo for Lotus? I am a first-time Lotus owner, so I don't know. But I would have definitely had opted for the convertible if one had been available.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back