Harry sells his Emira

My Emira still fits my needs regardless of Harry's decision.

I ordered mine before Hary ordered his or did his review so his views have zero impact on me. I didn't buy this car as an investment, I bought it as a toy. There is nothing rare about the Emira and I expect it to depreciate for a while, particularly as I put miles on it.

I think Harry saw this more as an "investment" than I did. Just seems like he chanegd his mind on the "investment" potential.

Nothing to see here. I'm going for a drive.

Last edited:
My take was it wasn't exciting enough to compete with his other cars, and whatever the fallout was over his review of the Eletre, seems to have soured him on Geely.

The Emira is a beautiful sports car that offers (to me) what nobody else does at its price point.

If I were in charge of Lotus, the first thing I'd do is work on expanding the dealer network in the U.S. At least showroom/service centers. Then I'd do a massive rework of the entire customer support system, to get it up to speed, functional and efficient. After that I'd put a team on parts and parts supply, so needed parts are available quickly.

After all that, THEN I'd put a focus on vehicles and vehicle development. I'd put Carr's team in charge of all vehicle design. I'd assemble a team to do extensive QC testing on ALL parts coming from sub-contractors, so the assembly line isn't installing sub-standard parts that only show up as being sub-standard after customers are receiving their cars.

There's a lot that needs to be done at Lotus, before any talk of future models.

My take was it wasn't exciting enough to compete with his other cars, and whatever the fallout was over his review of the Eletre, seems to have soured him on Geely.

The Emira is a beautiful sports car that offers (to me) what nobody else does at its price point.

If I were in charge of Lotus, the first thing I'd do is work on expanding the dealer network in the U.S. At least showroom/service centers. Then I'd do a massive rework of the entire customer support system, to get it up to speed, functional and efficient. After that I'd put a team on parts and parts supply, so needed parts are available quickly.

After all that, THEN I'd put a focus on vehicles and vehicle development. I'd put Carr's team in charge of all vehicle design. I'd assemble a team to do extensive QC testing on ALL parts coming from sub-contractors, so the assembly line isn't installing sub-standard parts that only show up as being sub-standard after customers are receiving their cars.

There's a lot that needs to be done at Lotus, before any talk of future models.
This all makes sense and I believe this is exactly what they are doing in China.

Lotus can not survive building 1 low volume sports car. 4K units a year in sales does not make any sense in growing its dealer network for 1 car. If they were selling cars for 250K+ than perhaps there is a business case, but even the manufacturers that do that (McLaren, lambo, Ferrari, Aston) have all started making SUV's or plan to.

I can only see two options.

1. Lotus leaves N/A market and focuses on ROW until the tariff's or regulations ease
2. Continue and sell EV's at a loss to gain market share until they open a US / EU manufacturing plant (very risky)

I am hoping we see number 2.

My 2 cents if I were running Lotus:

Lotus should revise the "all electric" focus, especially in the short- and medium-term, in favor of the Emira + a hybrid car.

They should refresh the Emira at some point (minor fixes, higher revving V6, more sound dampening, better AC and Audio system) and create a convertible version.

Are convertibles taboo for Lotus? I am a first-time Lotus owner, so I don't know. But I would have definitely had opted for the convertible if one had been available.
Elise and Elan were convertibles

I like Harry, and how he thinks about cars. His descriptions of handling and experience are very close to mine, and yes, his reviews were definitely encouraging to me. His reveiw of the new 5 series was spot-on, and deeply depressing for BMW fans. I doubt he likes their direction either.

I think if I walked into a garage with a series of fantastic manual toys -- like the Countach, the Testarossa, the Elan, the older 911 turbo... -- I'm not sure how often I'd take the Emira. But I don't have that garage, and I never will. Even if I could I wouldn't; that's what, $3M in toys?

I also think he wouldn't excitedly go out and buy a new Cayman / Boxter. Indeed, he didn't.

So I get why it's gone. He can enjoy the manuals and replace the Emira with a car three times as expensive and arguably both less reliable and from an even shakier company.

As for me, I just hit 1,000 miles so...

I don’t think there is anything to be concerned about here. Harry and we are not the same consumer. Lotus concerns are real.

Sometimes strange circumstances lead to positive outcomes. Many historical cities were actually preserved by poverty while other cities modernized. Thus they are the gems they are today. This Emira is similar. It’s design benefits from the electric driven investments on the Evija, but Lotus had no money to evolve the drivetrain, so it is conveniently old school in its format. Lotus’ lack of funding is exactly what gave us the Emira we have today. If they were as well funded as Porsche no doubt the car would be even more advanced and depending on who is in charge perhaps not what we would all enjoy.

I don’t think there is anything to be concerned about here. Harry and we are not the same consumer. Lotus concerns are real.

Sometimes strange circumstances lead to positive outcomes. Many historical cities were actually preserved by poverty while other cities modernized. Thus they are the gems they are today. This Emira is similar. It’s design benefits from the electric driven investments on the Evija, but Lotus had no money to evolve the drivetrain, so it is conveniently old school in its format. Lotus’ lack of funding is exactly what gave us the Emira we have today. If they were as well funded as Porsche no doubt the car would be even more advanced and depending on who is in charge perhaps not what we would all enjoy.
well said.

Reading in-between the lines - I don't think Harry believes Lotus is a viable company any longer. If you look at the recent events taking place with Lotus I have to agree, the future looks dreadful.

1. Chinese made EV's - Clearly the EU and USA/CAN are determined to stop the flow coming in. Not good for Lotus.
2. Mike Johnstone Head of Commercial operations - Quit
3. Scott Walker - Quit
4. Lotus no longer doing direct sales to customers - Fail
5. Emira and Eletre being offered with 0% financing - Clearly not selling well
6. First Edition Emira's being offered for 3+ model years!? ('22, '23, '24 and '25) - Outrageous in automotive terms, most auto companies do a refresh after 4 years!
7. Emia's have only been on sale in North America for 3.5 months, many plagued with the same issues since 2022. By the end of year we will see plenty for sale below MSRP.

And this what we know. I am certain that Harry has a lot more insider information that he did not disclose.

We need to start being honest with ourselves, I love what the car is on paper, but there are serious issues going on with this company. He even admitted, with Geely taking over there was an expectation that it would follow the similar line to what was done with Volvo. This is not the case.

While he didn't call out the Emira itself as a bad vehicle and praised the design team, he felt Lotus as a company is over. Jumped ship while he still could without loosing a ton on depreciation.
As a (still) upcoming Lotus Emira owner, I guess it makes me sad that I naturally agree with both Harry (whose YouTube videos are the best in the business) and also Lotustoronto’s opinion. I think the Lotus brand and leadership is fully under control of its Chinese owners and will follow their business agenda, which may succeed or fail. Lotus Hethel, UK no longer has much say or influence anymore.

We will of course see what the Lotus Type 135 Electric sportscar will become, but I have my doubts that it will convince me. But of course I will give it the benefit of doubt chance. Personally my personal taste leans toward the Caterham Project V and the AIM EV Sport 01 (the latter not so much regarding its looks, but rather its concept and thinking).

I would love to see Russell Carr and his team decamp for Hyundai and wrap a gorgeous 2-seat body around the internals of the Ioniq5 N.

Perhaps JayEmm will buy it and all will be good in the world!

But low and behold, what if Shmee150 then sells his ? :ROFLMAO:

To be honest, who cares!

Took mine for a blast this evening over the Brecon Beacons and wouldn't swap it for anything.

As a (still) upcoming Lotus Emira owner, I guess it makes me sad that I naturally agree with both Harry (whose YouTube videos are the best in the business) and also Lotustoronto’s opinion. I think the Lotus brand and leadership is fully under control of its Chinese owners and will follow their business agenda, which may succeed or fail. Lotus Hethel, UK no longer has much say or influence anymore.

We will of course see what the Lotus Type 135 Electric sportscar will become, but I have my doubts that it will convince me. But of course I will give it the benefit of doubt chance. Personally my personal taste leans toward the Caterham Project V and the AIM EV Sport 01 (the latter not so much regarding its looks, but rather its concept and thinking).
Once you get your Emira, you will discount what this guy has to say. When taking about a car and discussing it`s depreciation, it tells everything about who the podcaster is talking too. I haven`t subscribe to, or fully watched any of Harrys vids. I usually stop them when I see that he can`t drive.

Last edited:
Curious how the HM and Lotus bromance disintegrated. He mentions in his 650S video that he's "still not had a drive in the Evija". Given that others have been given access, surprised Harry hadn't. Doubt he will now!

Curious how the HM and Lotus bromance disintegrated. He mentions in his 650S video that he's "still not had a drive in the Evija". Given that others have been given access, surprised Harry hadn't. Doubt he will now!
YEP.

hmmmmm.... You know James from Mr.JWWW (YouTube channel) - He got exclusive access to the Lotus Evija ring time run. That video has over 1.4m views. (one of his most successful) Perhaps our good friend Harry was a little bit put off by this? I mean he actually owns a Lotus, Mr. Jwww does not.

You would think someone his age and stature wouldn't care about being stiffed by Lotus, but it does oddly coincide with both the Eletre review and then dumping his Emira and publicly outing Lotus.

Either way, none of this fixes my original issue with how the hell Lotus plans on selling EV's in North America and keeping it's dealers open....

This whole thread is very interesting. It Got me thinking: Is there a safe car company? Most of us already purchased and love our Emiras. Many EV companies are burning way too much cash. The big US automakers are stepping back from EVs a little, but not totally, and their hybrid plans are ambiguous. Being risk-averse is understandable. It's just not a lot of fun when I buy a luxury good. I expect to lose money.

I do take issue with the "Super Car" trope. In most cases, I have seen It's the driver not the car. My original Evora dealer said it best (it was a Lamborghini dealer) Lotus is the most fun car to drive in California because your can get to 3rd gear with out going to jail. I have seen more wrecked C7 and C8's in my small town than I have seen any lotus in person.

It's a personal choice for me. It comes down to the simplest of things: 3 pedals.

This whole thread is very interesting. It Got me thinking: Is there a safe car company? Most of us already purchased and love our Emiras. Many EV companies are burning way too much cash. The big US automakers are stepping back from EVs a little, but not totally, and their hybrid plans are ambiguous. Being risk-averse is understandable. It's just not a lot of fun when I buy a luxury good. I expect to lose money.

I do take issue with the "Super Car" trope. In most cases, I have seen It's the driver not the car. My original Evora dealer said it best (it was a Lamborghini dealer) Lotus is the most fun car to drive in California because your can get to 3rd gear with out going to jail. I have seen more wrecked C7 and C8's in my small town than I have seen any lotus in person.

It's a personal choice for me. It comes down to the simplest of things: 3 pedals.
Honda and Civic Type R. Honda is Killing it with mainstream hybrids, and having fun with Manuals. If only Toyota or Honda bought Lotus the company over the years, helped with real quality components suppliers and production methods, provided drive train, and let Lotus do its clever engineering and dynamics . . . The Japanese executives could hide away the small loses for the chance to vacation at their private European racetrack, RHD for all.

As far as the Emira trade in for the McLaren, I'll say what I've always said. If it doesn't have 3 pedals...I just can't help but think "boring". I guess I'm old school in that way.
I wonder which one of his other cars is he going to sell when he has to change the auto clutch on his second hand Mclaren?

Too many conspiracy theorists here. There's nothing unusual about Harry swapping out his cars to make room, keep the channel interesting, or help fund another car. For example, he sold the Lotus Esprit to fund the Emira. Now he's sold the Emira to partially fund the McLaren. You can only drive so many cars.