• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

i4 wih 400HP - post from another Lotus Forum

I wonder if Lotus might start offering this map to UK i4 owners (for a price?). It now seems to be becoming the default spec for new builds.

So confusing - Uk / EU already have received Emira F/E's and they were all 360 BHP. Now they are going to release different BHP First Editions i4's to North America. Even though it is still being advertised as 360 and customers ordered assuming this. Not that anyone would complain with the extra bump - but this all seems so odd and also very Lotus - so it is possible :ROFLMAO:. I get why Chinese i4's were 400, since no one would buy the V6 due to ridiculous taxation.

I still think the most likely course is Emira Base (first edition) @ 360 BHP and Emira S at 400 BHP. Both i4's.

V6 manual is most likely gone. Perhaps 1 model year of a limited base run.
I haven't been here in a while. What's this news about the V6 being no more? For us in the base (manual) deposit camp, what does this mean?

I have had a deposit for 3 years on a V6 auto. Now the i4 is going to be 400hp… 🤔 interesting
Potential bright sides: The 8G-DCT transmission for the AMG shifts slowly - multiple reviewers have pointed this out. This may bother you, or it may not, but lets say that it does. The V6 will almost certainly sound better than the AMG. With videos I've seen of people with the 3rd CAT delete pipe, it's a screamer making all the right noises. The AMG probably also sounds nice but more meh.

The M engine code has definitely not been used for all i4 cars. My UK car has K as the engine code (SCCLEKK.....)
Oh, I didn't realize that. That's interesting then. The "K" is for the 360HP I4 and "M" must be for the 400HP version.

I haven't been here in a while. What's this news about the V6 being no more? For us in the base (manual) deposit camp, what does this mean?
Lotus has removed the V6 from the configurator in the USA (not in the UK or Australia) but made no announcements. At the moment, all we have is rumors and gossip, mostly from US dealers.

A couple of possibilities:
  • Hethel is only building about 2,000 V6 Emiras each year. Given that limited capacity, they may already have enough orders to take them to the end of V6 production (for example, Dec 2025)
  • As discussed here, there may be a time limit on purchasing the Toyota V6 engine
  • Or let's be optimistic . . . maybe they're about to announce the V6R with increased horsepower! :cool:

Last edited:
Lotus has removed the V6 from the configurator in the USA (not in the UK or Australia) but made no announcements. At the moment, all we have is rumors and gossip, mostly from US dealers.

A couple of possibilities:
  • Hethel is only building about 2,000 V6 Emiras each year. Given that limited capacity, they may already have enough orders to take them to the end of V6 production (for example, Dec 2025)
  • As discussed here, there may be a time limit on purchasing the Toyota V6 engine
  • Or let's be optimistic . . . maybe they're about to announce the V6R with increased horsepower! :cool:
UK dealers are saying there will be no V6 builds until 2026 and they do not know what form they will take (basic edition, performance varient etc)

Not quite, it's just V6 production will end between 2025/2026. If you already have a deposit on a base, you're probably safe as the latest update from my dealer is this:

Base Production:
We've been told the Base Configurator should be added to lotuscars.com by August. At that point we can explore building our cars! Production should start in January.

Lotus should know how many V6 they'll be getting from Toyota before the production line is shutdown.

Potential bright sides: The 8G-DCT transmission for the AMG shifts slowly - multiple reviewers have pointed this out. This may bother you, or it may not, but lets say that it does. The V6 will almost certainly sound better than the AMG. With videos I've seen of people with the 3rd CAT delete pipe, it's a screamer making all the right noises. The AMG probably also sounds nice but more meh.
After thinking about it a bit more, I don't think I will regret my original decision. Thanks for pointing it out.

After thinking about it a bit more, I don't think I will regret my original decision. Thanks for pointing it out.
I went back and forth on my decision to get a V6 Auto or I4 AMG. After all the reviews I watched I believe they'll be a similar driving experience and will both be enjoyable rides. Harry and his son Charlie did a video with both cars although the V6 was a MT, they both said the driving experience was similar. Harry preferred the V6 and Charlie preferred the I4.
My decision was dependent on which one would get me behind the wheel quicker and I was able to find a I4 slot available.

Last edited:

Hate to disagree but I think the AMG shift perfectly fine as there's no slow shifting reported on the MBZ using it and the engine and transmission comes as a sealed unit to Lotus and they're not allow to tinker with it. What we're seeing is the slow processor in the OS and the shift click takes almost 1/2 second to get to the EMU. But this is something you can learn to work around.

Hate to disagree but I think the AMG shift perfectly fine as there's no slow shifting reported on the MBZ using it and the engine and transmission comes as a sealed unit to Lotus and they're not allow to tinker with it. What we're seeing is the slow processor in the OS and the shift click takes almost 1/2 second to get to the EMU. But this is something you can learn to work around.
Test drove an i4 again on Friday and there is no slow shifting in my experience. I did manage to induce it by tricking the box (changing down when the box would be expecting me to change up) but otherwise it felt as instant as any PDK I have driven.

Test drove an i4 again on Friday and there is no slow shifting in my experience. I did manage to induce it by tricking the box (changing down when the box would be expecting me to change up) but otherwise it felt as instant as any PDK I have driven.

I think some improvement were made in the production cars as most of the comment on slow response is on the press cars.

V6 will always sound better but a full exhaust system on the 2.0 is not bad neither. Trust me, this video doesn't even do justice for the actual sound on the street.
That sounds great, did you have to mod it to get the popping sound?