• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

i4 wih 400HP - post from another Lotus Forum

Lotus have indeed previously called it the i4 (for inline-4), the chap I was speaking to on the Lotus stand at Goodwood confirmed that it was a BMW complaint that caused them to move away from it.

An example of prior use, screenshot from my (May '23) order confirmation e-mail:
View attachment 48071
I guess the reason for using it initially is that i4 is a snappier designation than 4-cylinder when comparing to v6. Also, if they had called it Emira Turbo from the off this may have drawn comparisons with the 911 Turbo which may not have been good for expectation management, it's easier to transition now to including Turbo in the designation now the car is a known quantity.
Thank you PsymonR for clarifying that Lotus indeed used the i4 designation both orally and in print. As a multiple BMW (and Alpina) owner myself, of both i6 and i4 models, I have difficulty to understand why BMW seemingly have trade marked the term i4. But I am not going to loose sleep over this. As a previous Saab 9000 Turbo owner, I have equal doubt that Porsche could trade mark the term Turbo as a part of a model name of a car, but then I am not a trademark lawyer.

Thank you PsymonR for clarifying that Lotus indeed used the i4 designation both orally and in print. As a multiple BMW (and Alpina) owner myself, of both i6 and i4 models, I have difficulty to understand why BMW seemingly have trade marked the term i4. But I am not going to loose sleep over this. As a previous Saab 9000 Turbo owner, I have equal doubt that Porsche could trade mark the term Turbo as a part of a model name of a car, but then I am not a trademark lawyer.
I think the problem from BMW's side is that the i4 for them is a model (that they have indeed trademarked) rather than a variant so they probably wanted to make sure they were protecting that and Lotus probably decided that it wasn't worth the time/expense of fighting the complaint, for one they've already got enough financial pressure it would seem!

Like you say, I don't think that Porsche would go after Turbo (thinking Saab, Renault etc), I was more thinking that from Lotus' perspective they potentially may have wanted to avoid going down the Emira Turbo route initially in case it caused people to do set their expectations too high with reference to the 911, but overall I think the snappiness of v6 vs i4 is probably the more likely reason.

Do we have any information on this (400hp) in europe or uk? I have an emira i4 on order which I get in august, but I feel like we are a little bit left out here in europe if everyone else gets 400hp. At first I thought it was only a goodie/extra for china, but now everyone in the US also seems to get it, so obviously I don't want the weaker version (even tho we are used to it in europe :D).

Do we have any information on this (400hp) in europe or uk? I have an emira i4 on order which I get in august, but I feel like we are a little bit left out here in europe if everyone else gets 400hp. At first I thought it was only a goodie/extra for china, but now everyone in the US also seems to get it, so obviously I don't want the weaker version (even tho we are used to it in europe :D).
Just for your information: I also ordered my Emira 4-cylinder 2.0 three years ago from where I reside in Japan. It is now right around the corner and will have the same (360/365 hp) as UK Cars. This is also the same for cars delivered to Australia and Singapore.

The issue of 400 hp, first delivered to China, and supposedly from 2025 to the USA, will probably be a model update from Lotus. Especially if this update also becomes available for the UK and EU markets. But this will also be a matter of homologation. A manufacturer can’t just send out a “tune” for an already homogolated car model, unless this has been approved.

And finally; Lotus cars will only do this if it helps to sell more cars. And the plain fact is that it may help them more if only the new model (version) has the 400 horses, while the previous model do not. From watching current Lotus management behavior, it seems they do not mind “pissing off” a certain portion of their customers; and they also do not offer any explanation on what is going on internally. One example is all the various reviewers criticizing the DCT delays. To this date Lotus stays “mum” (except off-the-record hints that are at best “oracle-like”).

It is certainly is a bit odd that UK/EU gets 360 and North America and China get 400? I know the Chinese market i4's are considerably more expensive than the 360 BHP version. Perhaps when the base configurator goes live we will get a better understanding of Emira power vs price?
Original reason for China getting the i4 is that import duty is based on engine displacement and the 3.5l V6 ends up costing like US$50k more than the i4 so they expect to sell mostly i4 in China. I think the original plan called for the 360 initially so to give an advantage to the V6 on sales and then they'll release a upgraded i4 with 400hp once V6s are out of production. But with the delay in the US market. It's just not smart to introduce 2 separate engine configuration at such a close date.

I just literally got an email from Gator confirming that U.S. bound I4 will be 400 HP!!!!!! made my day.

We have excellent news for those who've ordered or reserved the First Edition AMG I4 Emira! The power rating for this Emira variant has been increased from 360 HP to 400 HP, matching that of the Supercharged V6, but in a higher-torque turbocharged package paired with an 8-speed dual-clutch auto with paddle-shift.

We have received our final few order allocations for the First Edition AMG I4, and these orders will be produced in September. Please let us know as soon as possible if you're interested in claiming one of these allocations, as the order specifications must be submitted to Lotus Cars USA by next Friday, August 2nd.

We highly recommend that anyone interested in an Auto Emira consider the AMG I4 drivetrain, as it will now offer similar or greater performance than the Supercharged V6...

More details about the First Edition AMG I4 Lotus Emira can be found HERE.

They did that for the China market, so it could possibly happen here, but it's all speculation until we have confirmed sources. I kinda doubt the NA market would do that after advertising the i4 power and taking orders already. Though I guess buyers wouldn't complain when their order arrives with more power.
Confirmed by Gator Motorsports this afternoon.

What does a 400 hp i4 mean for future base price? Does it cannibalize sales from the v6 auto? Does it supplant the v6 altogether?

Anyone care to read the tea leaves and respond I would be keen to hear your take.

What does a 400 hp i4 mean for future base price? Does it cannibalize sales from the v6 auto? Does it supplant the v6 altogether?

Anyone care to read the tea leaves and respond I would be keen to hear your take.
From my understanding of what my dealer told me, Toyota will discontinue the V6 engines so I believe the I4 will now be the representative of the Emira going forward. V6 are still available for purchase but at a much higher price, and theres a possibility of you not even getting a v6 auto base due to worldwide orders/waitlist and the limited amounts of V6 that will be left for Lotus use as Toyota is still also using that engine until they start focusing on Evs next year forward. At least that's how I understood it when my dealer told me the news of the i4 being upped to 400hps.

I just brewed some tea, lol.
My best guess is we'll see 2025 I4 prices go up along with V6 prices. I think you'll have the V6 Auto camp and I4 camp split 50/50. Unless we see one really out preforming the other. Personally I was going for the V6 auto but couldn't get a allocation so I went I4 as I think they'll drive very similar. A V6 with a DCT would of been my first choice. But sense that will never happen, you have to pick your poison.

I received mine this morning.
Very cool, how early was your order? Was any other information provided besides the VIN ? ie. ship date

Gator said they ordered their demo and were expecting that available in Nov/Dec time frame.

I am pretty much on the fence of pulling my deposit for the V6, just holding out for Base model configurator/changes. Too much overlap with current cars and I don't want to sell anything.

The AMG intrigues me for a number of reasons but I just don't think I have the patience to wait until Dec+ to test drive a demo and no way I would order one without a drive.

I also haven't really seen much action by Lotus to address any of the transmission delay concerns for example in most of the reviews which is a very legit issue imo. My guess is they have no control over it as If it's same transmission logic as the few AMG 45 cars I have driven, it is a pretty terrible DCT. (especially downshifts).

627A3C18-0D0B-451A-ABB0-8C1D3BD633E4.jpeg

I know it’s already confirned. Saw this from Galpin also.

Very cool, how early was your order? Was any other information provided besides the VIN ? ie. ship date
Deposit May 2023, balance of deposit and locked in on the 23rd of August. Ship date Gator doesn't have. They won't know anything else until the car is loaded at the port. If 3-4 months holds true fingers crossed maybe October? Having a VIN makes it real enough.

Deposit May 2023, balance of deposit and locked in on the 23rd of August. Ship date Gator doesn't have. They won't know anything else until the car is loaded at the port. If 3-4 months holds true fingers crossed maybe October? Having a VIN makes it real enough.
[Having a VIN makes it real enough.].​
For sure, congrats! I'm a few months behind you for initial deposit.​
[balance of deposit and locked in on the 23rd of August]​
The dealer I booked through hasn't asked for additional 'deposit' yet. I just have $2,500 down so far. Assume they want $7,500 more once production starts on car?​

View attachment 48332
I know it’s already confirned. Saw this from Galpin also.

oh damn no mention of this being "first edition" also I cant see the first edition emblem on side near the window, tho its hard to tell for sure with this picture.

pretty big if true

$99,900 for base version is pretty damn high