• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

📓 Journals JohnHoward's Journal

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.

JohnHoward

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What a day to get a new car! The weather has been terrible all day absolutely hammering down with rain relentlessly! So, sorry no photos today. Hopefully, if the weather improves, I will be able to post some tomorrow.
Home delivery handover – you get a text message the day before with an approximate delivery time and if you have WhatsApp, they send you photos of your car being loaded. I installed WhatsApp specially for this!
I got a text message an hour prior to delivery to confirm the time which was 9am and the transport arrived at exactly 9am. The gentleman who delivered the car made the day feel very special and had huge experience in car delivery having done the job for over 20 years. He delivered an auto to Scotland earlier this week and mine was the second he delivered.

Despite the awful weather, he took me through some important information, but as we were chatting, I think he realised that I had spent the last 2 years reading these forums and there wasn’t much that I wasn’t aware of! There is no doubt that he would have stayed with me as long as I wanted to ensure every single question was answered. He was very knowledgeable about the Lotus brand.

The car was presented in pristine condition, it was a shame to have to take it out of the covered trailer. When he opened the driver's door, my heart sank – I could not believe what I saw. I asked why the car had so many miles on it. He said “That’s quite normal”, I was lost for words. Then I realised I was looking at the fuel remaining at 285 miles!

The actual miles was 15!

I was very pleased with the home delivery and handover experience my rating 10 out of 10!

Before I tell you about my first drive, my previous cars, Alpine A110, Evora 410 Sport, Jaguar F-Type 5L V8 and an Abarth 124 Spider (not really in the same class, but we had a lot of fun in that car)

First impressions from a few short drives in atrocious weather conditions
Fit and finish
The Emira is in a different class to the Evora, there is no direct comparison, everything is better from the comfort of the seats, the tech and everything feels premium quality, it is a massive step up from the Evora.
Seats
Super comfortable, huge amount of adjustment plus steering wheel is adjustable. Fantastic leather smell. My wife described it as intoxicating!
Steering
It is pure Lotus, the Alpine A110 had a Lotus feel to it, but only Lotus can do Lotus steering
Sound
Compared to the Evora, it is a little more muted in the cabin, but I think that is down to additional soundproofing in the cabin. If you open the window you are quickly reminded that you have a 3.5L engine and a supercharger a few inches behind you. The supercharger whine seems more noticeable than the Evora (no bad thing), but I think you heard more exhaust noise in the Evora that drowned everything else out (again different/more sound proofing)
Compared to the Alpine you can hear a lot more in terms of airflow behind you (in a good way)
The auto gearbox
The gear changes are very sharp, I think they are quicker/better than the Evora, no complaints here whatsoever. Once this car is run in it will sound epic on downshifts, just like the Evora. If you change down manually a bit early, you don’t half get a crack from the exhaust. Obviously, I am being very careful at the moment, but just from driving it today, the future potential is obvious.
Of course, the big advantage of the auto is no clutch pedal and that added lightness has got to make a difference!
Driving in Sports mode – auto box
As the Evora, Sports mode holds the gears longer and of course the valves are open on the exhaust. There is a noticeable difference with the sound as you would expect.
Driving in track mode – auto box
Wow! – this is really something quite different, I mean dramatically so. Gears are held much longer and the soundtrack changes significantly because of this. There is a sudden urgency to push the car and make it shout at you. I was very surprised by this. Bearing in mind, terrible weather, a brand new car, being run in, I was ultra careful and only scratched the surface.
There is some electronic stability control still switched on in track mode, there is a further option to switch it off completely, so you are not completely on your own, unless you deliberately turn it off.
I don’t think there is a massive risk driving around town in track mode if you want to enjoy the soundtrack and then switching to Sport on the country roads if you want to keep your no claims bonus!
Other
The only thing I can’t seem to get right is the windscreen kept misting up with the terrible weather. Usually if you have the blower on the windscreen it stays clear (on all other cars I’ve owned anyway). But it would stay clear and then suddenly mist up like you were in dense fog. It is difficult trying to sort it out when you aren’t used to the controls and you don’t want to drive into the back of the car in front whilst you are distracted. I am sure this is operator error and I will figure out how to set it up.
Infotainment
Didn’t really try it properly today. I did put the radio on to test it and it sounded good. I only tend to have the radio on in the background anyway when I am driving.
Android auto worked perfectly straightway (wirelessly)
Most impressed by (so far)
Track mode – wow!

So, really today was almost like an extended test drive because of the bad conditions. A bigger adventure is planned for tomorrow with some motorway miles to do.

I will post over the weekend with more early impressions including motorway driving and some photos. Sorry no photos today, it is still hammering down with rain (5:30pm)

What a day to get a new car! The weather has been terrible all day absolutely hammering down with rain relentlessly! So, sorry no photos today. Hopefully, if the weather improves, I will be able to post some tomorrow.
Home delivery handover – you get a text message the day before with an approximate delivery time and if you have WhatsApp, they send you photos of your car being loaded. I installed WhatsApp specially for this!
I got a text message an hour prior to delivery to confirm the time which was 9am and the transport arrived at exactly 9am. The gentleman who delivered the car made the day feel very special and had huge experience in car delivery having done the job for over 20 years. He delivered an auto to Scotland earlier this week and mine was the second he delivered.

Despite the awful weather, he took me through some important information, but as we were chatting, I think he realised that I had spent the last 2 years reading these forums and there wasn’t much that I wasn’t aware of! There is no doubt that he would have stayed with me as long as I wanted to ensure every single question was answered. He was very knowledgeable about the Lotus brand.

The car was presented in pristine condition, it was a shame to have to take it out of the covered trailer. When he opened the driver's door, my heart sank – I could not believe what I saw. I asked why the car had so many miles on it. He said “That’s quite normal”, I was lost for words. Then I realised I was looking at the fuel remaining at 285 miles!

The actual miles was 15!

I was very pleased with the home delivery and handover experience my rating 10 out of 10!

Before I tell you about my first drive, my previous cars, Alpine A110, Evora 410 Sport, Jaguar F-Type 5L V8 and an Abarth 124 Spider (not really in the same class, but we had a lot of fun in that car)

Fit and finish
The Emira is in a different class to the Evora, there is no direct comparison, everything is better from the comfort of the seats, the tech and everything feels premium quality, it is a massive step up from the Evora.
Seats
Super comfortable, huge amount of adjustment plus steering wheel is adjustable. Fantastic leather smell. My wife described it as intoxicating!
Steering
It is pure Lotus, the Alpine A110 had a Lotus feel to it, but only Lotus can do Lotus steering
Sound
Compared to the Evora, it is a little more muted in the cabin, but I think that is down to additional soundproofing in the cabin. If you open the window you are quickly reminded that you have a 3.5L engine and a supercharger a few inches behind you. The supercharger whine seems more noticeable than the Evora (no bad thing), but I think you heard more exhaust noise in the Evora that drowned everything else out (again different/more sound proofing)
Compared to the Alpine you can hear a lot more in terms of airflow behind you (in a good way)
The auto gearbox
The gear changes are very sharp, I think they are quicker/better than the Evora, no complaints here whatsoever. Once this car is run in it will sound epic on downshifts, just like the Evora. If you change down manually a bit early, you don’t half get a crack from the exhaust. Obviously, I am being very careful at the moment, but just from driving it today, the future potential is obvious.
Of course, the big advantage of the auto is no clutch pedal and that added lightness has got to make a difference!
As the Evora, Sports mode holds the gears longer and of course the valves are open on the exhaust. There is a noticeable difference with the sound as you would expect.
Wow! – this is really something quite different, I mean dramatically so. Gears are held much longer and the soundtrack changes significantly because of this. There is a sudden urgency to push the car and make it shout at you. I was very surprised by this. Bearing in mind, terrible weather, a brand new car, being run in, I was ultra careful and only scratched the surface.
There is some electronic stability control still switched on in track mode, there is a further option to switch it off completely, so you are not completely on your own, unless you deliberately turn it off.
I don’t think there is a massive risk driving around town in track mode if you want to enjoy the soundtrack and then switching to Sport on the country roads if you want to keep your no claims bonus!
Other
The only thing I can’t seem to get right is the windscreen kept misting up with the terrible weather. Usually if you have the blower on the windscreen it stays clear (on all other cars I’ve owned anyway). But it would stay clear and then suddenly mist up like you were in dense fog. It is difficult trying to sort it out when you aren’t used to the controls and you don’t want to drive into the back of the car in front whilst you are distracted. I am sure this is operator error and I will figure out how to set it up.
Infotainment
Didn’t really try it properly today. I did put the radio on to test it and it sounded good. I only tend to have the radio on in the background anyway when I am driving.
Track mode – wow!

So, really today was almost like an extended test drive because of the bad conditions. A bigger adventure is planned for tomorrow with some motorway miles to do.

I will post over the weekend with more early impressions including motorway driving and some photos. Sorry no photos today, it is still hammering down with rain (5:30pm)
So pleased for you that home delivery was a great experience! All your feedback so far is really interesting, especially the info about the auto (and, of course, you'll have launch control to play with!) All your comments about fit & finish, seats, steering, etc are consistent with my own observations so far.

I, too, had quite a bit of rain on the drive home and had no misting up at all; I had it in "auto" set at about 22-23 degrees, occasionally changed air distribution settings between screen, face and feet.

Here's to many happy miles in your new ride, looking forward to seeing some photos.

Then I realised I was looking at the fuel remaining at 285 miles!

lol did that ten years ago with my wife’s new Mazda. I was so upset lolol. Enjoy your sled

The actual miles was 15!

Fit and finish
Seats
Steering
Sound
The auto gearbox
Other
Infotainment
Track mode – wow!

This is great to hear. During my Emira test drive here in the US they wouldn't let us go into track mode at ALL (supposedly due to liability reasons) and I was pretty disappointed by that. If the difference between Sport and Track is anything close to my BMW 340i "Comfort" vs. Sport mode, I can't wait to try it out. It makes the car feel and sound like an entirely different beast. Thanks for the review!

The actual miles was 15!

Fit and finish
Seats
Steering
Sound
The auto gearbox
Other
Infotainment
Track mode – wow!

Thanks for sharing and great to hear the feedback on the auto! From the car I sat in at the HAC Concours event the paddles were fairly large and aluminium, is this the same in yours ?

IMG_4719.jpegIMG_4720.jpegIMG_4721.jpeg

Great to read your feedback. Look forward to hearing more about the auto as you get better weather and cover more miles.

You might find demisting works better if you turn AC and "recirculate" on, then you're drawing less moist outside air into the cabin. Also, I think if you use the zone controls to direct the airflow only to the upper dash vents rather than relying on the demist button then you get more air flow upwards.

Great to read your feedback. Look forward to hearing more about the auto as you get better weather and cover more miles.

You might find demisting works better if you turn AC and "recirculate" on, then you're drawing less moist outside air into the cabin. Also, I think if you use the zone controls to direct the airflow only to the upper dash vents rather than relying on the demist button then you get more air flow upwards.
Thanks Tom, will set that up before I drive anywhere today!
It was quite comical yesterday, The weather was so bad and needed 100% concentration on the conditions so I was randomly pressing the controls without being familiar with them and my wife was saying "it's freezing, turn it off" one minute and " it's roasting, turn it off" the next!
I put her in charge of the controls and we found out that the heated seats worked, but then she lost the page, so they had to stay on! I asked her to put our home address in the SatNav so we could try that and she picked out what she thought was our address - that turned out to be in France.
Lesson learned - when you get a new car, spend some time setting everything up before you set off anywhere despite the urge to go for a drive!

Preparing for today's adventures!
View attachment 25107
:ROFLMAO: Full report to follow tonight!
Congrats! Enjoy the ride!

Wait a sec, are you trying to take the slowest Emira title away from me with running in excuse? We need to see that video !!! 🤣🤣🤣

The actual miles was 15!

Fit and finish
Seats
Steering
Sound
The auto gearbox
Other
Infotainment
Track mode – wow!

This is a great read. However given the delivery circumstance, how could you not remark in your report on the wiper performance?
Other threads were left wanting. ;)

Congrats! Enjoy the ride!

Wait a sec, are you trying to take the slowest Emira title away from me with running in excuse? We need to see that video !!! 🤣🤣🤣

View attachment 25122

Random thought, but I’ve just now appreciated that the character line of the rear lighting signature drops down to meet with the character line of the rear vent, tying that whole shape of the rear together. This car is still rewarding visually after two years of obsession.

0234CB50-2371-4411-9AC7-5717EFAC4EA5.jpeg

I completely forgot to post about the wipers yesterday. I tried as many permutations as I could of auto to fast, fast to auto, normal to auto etc etc and even adjusting the sensitivity and then trying again. The wipers worked exactly as expected with no issues that I could replicate as others have described. The only problem I had yesterday was the window misting up, but I put the blame firmly on my co-driver for operator error. @TomE helpfully gave me a couple of tips to avoid this and I now know where those settings are on the screen and also the dedicated buttons (aircon and recirculation) on the heater control.

First job this morning was a quick wash. I also applied some rainX to the windows. Also applied some alloy wheel cleaner to the wheels. The wheels are very easy to clean with the big gaps. I will apply 303 graphene to the whole car and wheels over the coming days as this makes washing super easy. I find that if you use this and for washing use snow foam and a gentle wipe a wash mitt (using the 2 bucket method), rinse off with the pressure washer and then I dry it with a cordless leaf blower to avoid touching the paint as much as possible. Quick polish of the glass with a microfibre. There is a maintenance mode for the windscreen wipers on the central touchscreen.
20230415_090831.jpg

20230415_095002 (2).jpg

I haven't got any PPF/ceramic as I really enjoy doing all the car detailing myself and I can fix any minor issues as needed.

Second job was to spend some time sat in the car fiddling with all the settings, getting the radio tuned in to the stations and generally getting everything set up how I wanted it. Fine tuning the seat position and steering wheel and generally getting properly acquainted.

We decided to have a run up the M6 towards Blackpool. This is a great motorway car. In tour mode it is very comfortable drive. We had the radio on for background music and it sounded very good. The seats are great, no discomfort whatsoever. The motorway journey was about 1 hour 20 mins.

There are miles of roadworks on the M6 at the moment, so this worked very well with a chunk of 50 mph and then some at the motorway speed limit. Ideal for running in miles.

The promenade in Blackpool was super busy with traffic, so I kept an eye on the temperature readout and the temperature control was spot on maintaining a very stable water temp. We ‘cruised the strip’ in Blackpool (aka drove along the prom) and saw Blackpool in the best way you can (in a fast car).

We went on south a short distance to Lytham and had a very nice lunch and a ‘shopping opportunity’

The auto is a beast in track mode on regular roads. I think the sweetspot is fully manual and drive on the paddles. There is nothing wrong with auto mode, but it really does hold onto those gear changes and I don’t want to overdo it whilst running in. It just sounds so good. It creates a devil on your shoulder whispering in your ear “Give it the beans”! To switch to fully manual move the gear selector to the left or right. If you are in auto and use a paddle it stays in manual for about 20 seconds or so before switching back to auto. If you are in full manul, to switch back to auto you move the selector down.
I think the paddles feel a bit different to the Evora, but I am not certain as I had the Alpine inbetween and that of course was different, so I am not completely sure. The paddles feel very good and are plenty big enough for road driving.

Unfortunately, my phone went completely flat on the journey, so I couldn’t take any pictures today. I was using Android Auto and Google maps (wirelessly), not that I needed directions, but I was just testing the combo of Android Auto and Google maps. I don’t think this is anything to do with the car, I should have plugged the phone into the USB, but didn’t notice it had gone flat until we got there. So no pictures again! This is nothing to do with the car, my phone isn't new and I think the battery is past its best (like its owner!)

Very impressed with Android Auto and Google maps. I am not sure what benefits there are with paid for subscriptions such as TomTom Go, Waze etc, but I think Google maps will do for me at the moment.

We have another day out tomorrow, so third time lucky for some photos!

About a quarter of the way there on running in miles so far.

Other things I have noticed. The reversing camera is very good and you can set the door mirrors to tilt down in reverse. This would be very handy in certain situations if you are reverse parking in tight spots nears kerbs/obstructions etc.

This car attracts major amounts of attention – be prepared for questions and people taking pictures/videos! I always found there was some interest in my F-type and Evora, but the Emira is on another level!

First job tomorrow will be refuelling, something that will become very familiar if I keep driving in track mode!

Random thought, but I’ve just now appreciated that the character line of the rear lighting signature drops down to meet with the character line of the rear vent, tying that whole shape of the rear together. This car is still rewarding visually after two years of obsession.

View attachment 25141
Nice spot. It's details like this that make the Emira design flow and be so easy on the eye. A myriad of subtle touches that, in aggregate, create beauty.

Back