Just been offered a C8……dilemma! Help me decide…

Do you know how long I am waiting for Emira already…..

I can wait for Z06, order one and also wait for 2 years, no problem. In fact have asked my friend in Miami to visit dealer to find if we can spec and order one.

In fact…Emira hardly fetches a premium over list…it shows how spectacular it (not) is.
The fact that Z06 results in 100k over list…should give us some understanding how iconic that car is!
You are correct there are a lot of American red necks with NB, goatees and money to burn :LOL:

Hey I’m not going to start bashing the Emira cause I’m bitter I can’t afford it but you all have to be nicer to the c8, especially if I buy one. Thx
Hey I'm on your side....even if I'm not one of your "Emira bros." I think the Z06 is flipping amazing and I'd be in line for one too. If I had $200k to spend or wanted to wait 5 years.
Things are changing so fast in the auto industry...who knows what 3 years from now will look like..sad times.

Take the corvette. If choosing the Emira is a dilemma, it's probably not worth it. Many of it's merits over the corvette will be unappreciated / unnoticed to the common sports car buyer, but the demerits will be noticeable.

Take the corvette. If choosing the Emira is a dilemma, it's probably not worth it. Many of it's merits over the corvette will be unappreciated / unnoticed to the common sports car buyer, but the demerits will be noticeable.
Yeah I was perfectly willing to deal with the rando Lotus fails at 80k. But def not at $105k

My vote is take the C8 if you are looking for value in a weekend car.

I concur with the other voices so far. You really need to absolutely be irrationally in love with the Emira to own it as a daily driver and choose it over something like a C8 or Porsche GT4/GTS-4.0. There are many compromises that you'll have to make with the Emira, some "issues" to deal with. You can only move past these challenges if you are in love with the car, to the point where picking it over other low-risk alternatives is an instant decision.

I concur with the other voices so far. You really need to absolutely be irrationally in love with the Emira to own it as a daily driver and choose it over something like a C8 or Porsche GT4/GTS-4.0. There are many compromises that you'll have to make with the Emira, some "issues" to deal with. You can only move past these challenges if you are in love with the car, to the point where picking it over other low-risk alternatives is an instant decision.
Wish the test drive sucked, but it didn’t.

Probably the opposite in London as to the USA. C8s are common to see here. Emiras will be rare.
One reason I dont want a C8 is they are too common to see here. If you really want acceleration get the C8.
Dime a dozen here in Canada.. but unreal 0 to 60 speed.. insane.

Wake up and study the C8 Z06! They took a Ferrari 458 V8 apart, re-engineered it and created a high revving - most powerful NA V8 ever produced. It's a mental car! 100k USD. Mindblowing. Want one so bad, but much harder to get than Emira.
Ya like 4 year waiting list Canada for z06 probably 100k cnd more as well. and then possible markups dealer.

I would say that the C8s are far from "no risk" cars, as the corvette forum is loaded with page after page of quality issues. I rented a 2022 for a day, back some months ago. But then again, I had also rented a McLaren 570S, previously. The Corvette doesn't seem so fast after you drive a McLaren, so everything is relative. Would I rent a Corvette again someday, sure, but would probably not purchase one.

Last edited:
It's not simply being uncommon, but rather being uncommon *AND* desirable. Perceived value is a product of rarity and desirability. Something with low rarity will have low perceived value even if it is relatively desirable. This perceived value is something that people want to possess. It comes down to our deep-seated desire as social animals to be noticed and recognized by others, which is the root source of happiness. It is validating to own something that we know is highly desirable but only a small number of people have the opportunity to purchase it. Maybe it reflects one's success in life or some enviable combination of refined taste and impeccable timing. Whatever it is, we want those sensational squirts of dopamine whenever we look at the car we drive. Now, I don't doubt that there are people who transcend this human desire and are able to elevate their sense of being to a level where they don't give a flying flip to what others think of them. I am not that person. I am basic, neither rare nor desirable, and rotten to the core with the urge to own rare and desirable things.
Well said!

Well I have declined the C8.

Just not a car I ultimately MASSIVELY want and no guarantee of financial gain by mid summer delivery to justify funding buying both cars.

Was very tempted though.

Well I have declined the C8.

Just not a car I ultimately MASSIVELY want and no guarantee of financial gain by mid summer delivery to justify funding buying both cars.

Was very tempted though.
So what were the top three pros and cons for the C8?

What's the big draw to uncommon cars? I don't get it. When I see a lot of a certain model of car I assume that's because its a great car. They wouldn't sell well if they sucked.

If I find and buy an amazing sports car I don't care if I'm the only one who owns it or if every house on my block has one. I've still got an amazing sports car.

If you see a lot of a certain model car, it means that the production numbers were high and enough people found value in buying it. It may be a great car... or maybe not. There were almost 3.2 million Ford Pinto's sold. Let that number sink in ;)

If you see a lot of a certain model car, it means that the production numbers were high and enough people found value in buying it. It may be a great car... or maybe not. There were almost 3.2 million Ford Pinto's sold. Let that number sink in ;)
Yes, sportscar buyers tend to decide based upon performance, cost, or both, but rarely because of good or great reliability, it seems. This is true with other types of vehicles, such as Jeeps - historically horrible reliability but great off-road performance.

This is THE most anti-C8 YouTube review out there or certainly one of them. Compare this review to the others which are generally favourable towards the C8, to put his into context. I found it an odd review:

-he actually finds the visibility on the C8 AOK, whereas many others complain about it;
-he knocks the looks, power, steering and almost anything else that makes a good sport car;
-he also complains about the price, which is elsewhere almost universally praised as good value for the performance you get.

He may have a point about where to get the car serviced; I'm not familiar with what GM has for dealerships in that part of the world. It's certainly the exact opposite problem for North America C8 owners.

I'm still waiting to test drive the Emira and my closest Lotus dealership (*3 hour drive one-way; a few years ago it was a 12 hour drive) hopes to get one by May or June, but who knows given all the delays most of the automotive world is experiencing these days. I suspect Jay Emm will be correct and the Emira will live up to the Lotus reputation of being "a driver's car" with its steering/handling, especially with its available manual transmission (not available with the C8). I don't know if I'll miss the raw power of the C8. I agree that the Emira certainly looks better than the C8. In many ways, 2 different vehicles...but I found his C8 review unfair and think people should check out other reviews before simply accepting his point of view or better yet, take a C8 for a test drive.

Don’t know if Tom will be cool with this and I’m cool if he zaps it but I’m out on the c8 cause look:
its f cking endless. I want to love it so bad

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back