📓 Journals kitkat's Emira

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hi all,

I received my car a while back and I'll journal the things I do with this car here.

1719258304996.jpeg

I designed a 3d printed license plate holder that uses stock mounting bolts and holes. It has a locking latch that utilizes a 3d printed spring to hold a license plate bracket in place. This is good when you want to quickly put in a license plate if say the police show up to a car show and start handing out tickets. The design is about as slim as you can make it as a 3d printed ABS part and is less tall than the OEM aluminum scrape pucks under the car.

1719258525578.png

1719260385486.png

If you want to print one of these for yourself some notes:
- 4x M5 screws are required
- 4x M5 hex nuts are required
- Glue the spring to the rear plate while keeping the spring free to do it's thing.
- Use ABS or stronger filament.
- Can't guarantee yours will be strong, but use a 100% infill and it should be pretty durable.

1719259133949.png

1719259155260.png

Attachments

• Emira Quick Release License Plate Bracket.zip
    315.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Wheel behind the seat? How do you prevent it from rolling/bangig around?

Is the Emira your only car?

Wheel behind the seat? How do you prevent it from rolling/bangig around?

Is the Emira your only car?

Nah wheel goes in a wheel bag in the front seat, but been thinking of just having the wheel on a separate suction cup mount on the glass. Emira isn't only car but if I need to drive to a ride, I usually want to enjoy a nice drive at the same time.

Last weekend I installed a set of EBC Redstuff pads from GRP.

1719330816472.png

Some notes:

- I was motivated to replace the stock pads by a set of pads with far less dust for street driving.
- I was anticipating less initial bite than the stock pads, however that has not been the case.
- Pads are slightly thicker than OEM and required removing the backing pad from the pads.
- Some slight initial bedding noise from the pads, hoping this goes away longer term.
- Stock pads have switched over from a Ferodo DS2500 to a Brembo copper free pad of the US market, P/N CP7040X61BX261ANT013
- Rear pad retaining pins have extremely limited area to strike the pins back into place, I had to use a small 3d printed titanium hammer.

1719331320166.png

1719331347141.png

Last weekend I installed a set of EBC Redstuff pads from GRP.

View attachment 46641

Some notes:

- I was motivated to replace the stock pads by a set of pads with far less dust for street driving.
- I was anticipating less initial bite than the stock pads, however that has not been the case.
- Pads are slightly thicker than OEM and required removing the backing pad from the pads.
- Some slight initial bedding noise from the pads, hoping this goes away longer term.
- Stock pads have switched over from a Ferodo DS2500 to a Brembo copper free pad of the US market, P/N CP7040X61BX261ANT013
- Rear pad retaining pins have extremely limited area to strike the pins back into place, I had to use a small 3d printed titanium hammer.

View attachment 46644
View attachment 46645
Really interested to hear if you find these quiet enough... I'd love a lower dust alternative, but not keen on squealing and rumbling to a stop at every traffic light :)

Really interested to hear if you find these quiet enough... I'd love a lower dust alternative, but not keen on squealing and rumbling to a stop at every traffic light :)

The Redstuff pads have a very thin top layer that is red and meant to be abrasive to the rotor to clean it up for street bedding in. I am guessing that is why it's making the sound -- it could also be that removing the backing plates are causing more friction in which case some anti squeal paste might make sense. Will report back in a couple weeks on these, but so far there is little to no dust.

Reactions: ADC
I designed a 3d printed license plate holder that uses stock mounting bolts and holes. It has a locking latch that utilizes a 3d printed spring to hold a license plate bracket in place. This is good when you want to quickly put in a license plate if say the police show up to a car show and start handing out tickets. The design is about as slim as you can make it as a 3d printed ABS part and is less tall than the OEM aluminum scrape pucks under the car.

View attachment 46576
View attachment 46595

If you want to print one of these for yourself some notes:
- 4x M5 screws are required
- 4x M5 hex nuts are required
- Glue the spring to the rear plate while keeping the spring free to do it's thing.
- Use ABS or stronger filament.
- Can't guarantee yours will be strong, but use a 100% infill and it should be pretty durable.

View attachment 46579
View attachment 46580
Although it's inconvenient, isn't it still just a fix-it ticket in California (i.e., bring it in and show that you have a plate installed, fine waived, take it off again)? Also would you mind showing a pic of the plate on the back of your car? I'm considering the black legacy plate as well and would like to see how it looks against the black diffuser.

Although it's inconvenient, isn't it still just a fix-it ticket in California (i.e., bring it in and show that you have a plate installed, fine waived, take it off again)? Also would you mind showing a pic of the plate on the back of your car? I'm considering the black legacy plate as well and would like to see how it looks against the black diffuser.

It is -- and personally I don't run a front plate, but this was a good exercise in learning CAD as I'm new to it and sort of a fun project.

Hi thanks for the awesome design, I printed the files in ABS with 100% infill. Printed great on my P1S

Now, Do you think that this design will be durable as a permanent front plate holder. I am thinking to keep it for the long term but afraid I will lose the plate lol

Hi thanks for the awesome design, I printed the files in ABS with 100% infill. Printed great on my P1S

Now, Do you think that this design will be durable as a permanent front plate holder. I am thinking to keep it for the long term but afraid I will lose the plate lol

Can’t make any promises there, I think maybe making some printer upgrades like a hardened extruder gear and nozzle and printing it out of PA6-CF or other similar nylon engineering filament with might make it more durable. One thing I was thinking about was the layer adhesion on the Z axis for the plate holder itself — extreme bending forces might cause it to delaminate — but you’d need to be going very very fast for that to happen. PA6-CF has very good layer adhesion.

Hey Kitkat. Any update on the noise from the new brake pads? Would love to hear your feedback after it being a few weeks now.

Ryan G

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back