đź““ Journals kitkat's Emira

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
Hey Kitkat. Any update on the noise from the new brake pads? Would love to hear your feedback after it being a few weeks now.

Ryan G

Hey, the sound has not gone away because I completely removed all the anti squeal pad backing. I’m either going to add some anti squeal paste or try and retrofit the stock ones onto the EBC pads this weeekend. Will update then :)

Hey, the sound has not gone away because I completely removed all the anti squeal pad backing. I’m either going to add some anti squeal paste or try and retrofit the stock ones onto the EBC pads this weeekend. Will update then :)
I hope the anti squeal paste works for you because I’m loving the idea of less brake dust.

Still waiting on a product to get shipped to me to remove brake squeal, if it doesn’t work that’s fine with me too. I’m used to noisy brakes and after a few spicy drives last weekend I may be changing it up to EBC yellows.

Reds are good for normal driving and mild canyon runs but not much beyond that.

Still waiting on a product to get shipped to me to remove brake squeal, if it doesn’t work that’s fine with me too. I’m used to noisy brakes and after a few spicy drives last weekend I may be changing it up to EBC yellows.

Thanks for mentioning this because I was leaning towards the yellows.

Thanks for mentioning this because I was leaning towards the yellows.

I would say 5 minutes of fast canyon driving, and then braking zone from high speeds was all it took to fade the EBC reds, the yellows look like a really good balance for that kind of driving but at the cost of more dust and noise.

That being said I don't usually drive like this on the street and prefer track time, this pad is probably fine for 90% of Emira owners and has 90% less dust than the stock Brembos.

IF / When you get that solution for less squealing.. please let us know how it works and if it works well.. I would love LESS brake dust, but don't want to worry about any noise issues coming from a pad..

Thanks
Ryan G

I would say 5 minutes of fast canyon driving, and then braking zone from high speeds was all it took to fade the EBC reds, the yellows look like a really good balance for that kind of driving but at the cost of more dust and noise.

That being said I don't usually drive like this on the street and prefer track time, this pad is probably fine for 90% of Emira owners and has 90% less dust than the stock Brembos.
What are you considering for mostly street and occasional track use?

EBC Red Brake Pad Update:

I bought some EBC antisqueal backing pads to try to add this back on, I also gave up using my 4 piston caliper spreader and manually went and pushed pistons back in, they took a lot of effort to push back. I did this because I noticed the handle of my piston spreader flexing and figured that it wasn't up to the task. I managed to get the pads back in with backing plate material but alas still squealing. I will try to put anti-squeal on the pad races that the pads touch on the caliper next.

I really don't mind the small amount of sound at all but I'm doing this mainly for those who are sensitive to the sound.

Last edited:
I added wheel studs and 12mm spacers on all four corners to see how much clearance there is on the OEM alignment, I will be getting an alignment next to see how much camber is possible for track duty and to help me measure clearance for a 3rd party track wheelset as the OEMs are for street only for me.

Enjoy some photos from this weekend.

1722262831268.jpeg

1722262595108.jpeg

1722262604489.jpeg

Last edited:

FWIW, I have EBC yellows on both my Evo VIII and my JCW MINI (both are Brembo setups) and I have found them perfect for what I enjoy: hard mountain driving and local autocross without annoying me to death in traffic.

Edit: I used to have EBC greens on an old Integra, and found the bite to be a little too aggressive.

For those who have thought about a fumoto drain plug for their Emira -- don't bother -- none of them clear the lower aluminum cover panel. This is one of the most low profile ones they offer.

1722274983776.png

I'll find a different solution, but in addition to this I'd like to cut access ports for oil drain plug, oil filter, and transmission drain plug and cap those with access ports with another aluminum piece and bolt them shut -- same as how the existing aluminum panel is held on. I really dislike removing the 20+ bolts for the giant aluminum panel to access this stuff, it adds easily 40 minutes to the oil change time to remove and reinstall.